No deal BREXIT looms

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nithavela

our world is happy and mundane
Apr 14, 2007
Comb. Pizza Hut and Taco Bell/Jamaica Avenue.
✟492,780.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
Theresa May has just suffered the biggest parliamentary defeat in British parliamentary history on her governments most important bill in modern history.

And guess what she will win a vote of no confidence tomorrow:doh:

Upvote 0

mindlight

See in the dark
Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2003
London, UK
✟821,964.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Theresa May has just suffered the biggest parliamentary defeat in British parliamentary history on her governments most important bill in modern history.

Yep cause Corbyn is even more scary than letting her stay on. The real choice now is between a hard Brexit and a second referendum with an option to call the whole thing off if the people want that.

Upvote 0

Goonie

Not so Mystic Mog.
Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2015
UK
✟1,148,098.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Yep cause Corbyn is even more scary than letting her stay on. The real choice now is between a hard Brexit and a second referendum with an option to call the whole thing off if the people want that.
And May is already ruling out a referendum.

Upvote 0

Robban

-----------
Site Supporter
Dec 27, 2009
✟649,752.00
Country
Sweden
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Divorced

Overdramatic.

Upvote 0

mindlight

See in the dark
Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2003
London, UK
✟821,964.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
And May is already ruling out a referendum.

Yeh and I guess that the BREXIT wing of her party would oppose that also and regard it as a betrayal if it was put on the table. But given the alternative is now a hard BREXIT it is not infeasible to think of a cross party alliance of MPs proposing a referendum and getting the votes for that despite the official position of the government. It would require a lot of Tory MPs who are in the May camp to defy the whip though to get it through.

1) First we have to get this no confidence motion squashed. Pretty sure that will happen and therefore there will be no general election
2) then we have to fail miserably at an alternative deal being accepted by parliament or even framed by the EU. The only question there is how much time we allocate to futility.
3) then we start talking about the real choices on the table which are HARD Brexit OR Referendum

Time is running out. But I think if a second referendum were on the table which allowed for the British people to reject BREXIT then the EU would have no problem extending the timeline to allow for that referendum to work itself through and for parliament to ratify the result and cancel Article 50.

Upvote 0

Goonie

Not so Mystic Mog.
Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2015
UK
✟1,148,098.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Yeh and I guess that the BREXIT wing of her party would oppose that also and regard it as a betrayal if it was put on the table. But given the alternative is now a hard BREXIT it is not infeasible to think of a cross party alliance of MPs proposing a referendum and getting the votes for that despite the official position of the government. It would require a lot of Tory MPs who are in the May camp to defy the whip though to get it through.

1) First we have to get this no confidence motion squashed. Pretty sure that will happen and therefore there will be no general election
2) then we have to fail miserably at an alternative deal being accepted by parliament or even framed by the EU. The only question there is how much time we allocate to futility.
3) then we start talking about the real choices on the table which are HARD Brexit OR Referendum

Time is running out. But I think if a second referendum were on the table which allowed for the British people to reject BREXIT then the EU would have no problem extending the timeline to allow for that referendum to work itself through and for parliament to ratify the result and cancel Article 50.
And with Corbyn in charge of Labour, no chance of labour supporting a second referendum. No deal is the only option on the table:(

Upvote 0

Nithavela

our world is happy and mundane
Apr 14, 2007
Comb. Pizza Hut and Taco Bell/Jamaica Avenue.
✟492,780.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
a83EENd_460s.jpg

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

mindlight

See in the dark
Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2003
London, UK
✟821,964.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I nominate “Doh!” As the UKs new national motto!

That is the working class version. Since it will be the Tories leading Britain into the abyss I think a man in a pinstripe with a public school accent, umbrella and bowler hat waving to those behind him to follow him over the edge with a cry of Tally Ho! would be more appropriate. Did I just describe Jeremy Rees-Mog or was it a smart version of Boris!?

• Haha
Reactions: Goonie
Upvote 0

Francis Drake

Returning adventurer.
Apr 14, 2013
✟184,952.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Independence-Party

She thoroughly deserved to be defeated.
But she'll win the confidence vote because nobody wants that clown Corbyn anywhere near the levers of power.

Upvote 0

lismore

Maranatha
Oct 28, 2004
Scotland
✟244,820.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
A compromise deal that's not really out or and not really in, did anyone, Brexiters or Remainers vote for this?

We'll still have to accept some EU rules but will have no representation in making them. The worst of both worlds.

Does anyone else think TM must go? She lost the vote but has no other plan, here we go again. More votes until they accept her deal.

God Bless :)

Upvote 0

Goonie

Not so Mystic Mog.
Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2015
UK
✟1,148,098.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
A compromise deal that's not really out or and not really in, did anyone, Brexiters or Remainers vote for this?

We'll still have to accept some EU rules but will have no representation in making them. The worst of both worlds.

Does anyone else think TM must go?

Did anybody vote for a third of businesses to moveor consider leaving the UK? How about the potential doubling in cost of food? How about a 30 year recession any body vote for that?

Its hard to tell the difference between Brexit and Economic Terrorism.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

lismore

Maranatha
Oct 28, 2004
Scotland
✟244,820.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Did anybody vote for a third of businesses to moveor consider leaving the UK? How about the potential doubling in cost of food? How about a 30 year recession any body vote for that?

I would say that many Brexiters did indeed vote for that, if it was the price of 'regaining control', perhaps even the whole 17.4 million.

But it seems we're heading towards a scenario that the 52% did not vote for, nor indeed the 48%. A compromise half in half out deal.

Reactions: mindlight
Upvote 0

Goonie

Not so Mystic Mog.
Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2015
UK
✟1,148,098.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
I would say that many Brexiters did indeed vote for that, if it was the price of 'regaining control', perhaps even the whole 17.4 million.

But it seems we're heading towards a scenario that the 52% did not vote for, nor indeed the 48%. A compromise half in half out deal.

‘Regaining control’. ‘Will of the people’. Always wary of slogans. The fact is that you will gain no control, Moggs, Johnson and Co will be in control and they will be signing up to a truly awful trade deal with the US. Say goodbye to job security, employment rights and the nhs, and the environment.

Pyrrhic victory is the best way to describe the situation.

Upvote 0

mindlight

See in the dark
Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2003
London, UK
✟821,964.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

I agree, you either do BREXIT properly, purposefully and mindful of the seismic changes it entails or you do not do it all. Since the former seems unlikely we should call the whole thing off

Upvote 0

mindlight

See in the dark
Site Supporter
Dec 20, 2003
London, UK
✟821,964.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
‘Regaining control’. ‘Will of the people’. Always wary of slogans. The fact is that you will gain no control, Moggs, Johnson and Co will be in control and they will be signing up to a truly awful trade deal with the US. Say goodbye to job security, employment rights and the nhs, and the environment.

Pyrrhic victory is the best way to describe the situation.

With faith and hope I believe whatever we do will work out. But for Brexit to work requires leadership not muddle, compromise and confusion and I fear a post BREXIT world with Corbyn as PM. If Brexit is a disaster or even if just costly in the short term it could let in a Corbyn government at the next election and that would be an even bigger disaster

Upvote 0

lismore

Maranatha
Oct 28, 2004
Scotland
✟244,820.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I agree, you either do BREXIT properly, purposefully and mindful of the seismic changes it entails or you do not do it all. Since the former seems unlikely we should call the whole thing off

Hello mindlight. Indeed, I have seen a couple of comments from Brexiters on Social Media and one on Question Time saying that even Membership of the EU was a superior deal to TM's. In her deal we have to take many of the Eu rules but have no input in making them. Surely this could not be what anyone voted for? Kind Regards :)

• Agree
Reactions: mindlight
Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.