No Boys Allowed: The New Rule of Co-Working Spaces

SummerMadness

Senior Veteran
Mar 8, 2006
✟331,677.00
Faith
Catholic
I'm not sure what the big deal is. There have been "women's wings" around all along--they just didn't make a big deal of it. Heck--there are even women's colleges.
It's been done all along for the same reasons, women experience discrimination and create a forum to support each other; the difference now is you now have whiny men claiming they are being discriminated against because women created something in response to discrimination. It's similar to the creation of HBCUs, barred from attending colleges and universities, these schools were formed. Nonetheless, people whine about the existence of such colleges, although they miss a keyword: "historically."

Upvote 0

Ana the Ist

Aggressively serene!
Feb 21, 2012
✟436,423.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
I'm not sure what the big deal is. There have been "women's wings" around all along--they just didn't make a big deal of it. Heck--there are even women's colleges.

They did make a "big deal" about the women's colleges back when a woman forced her way into the last "men's college". A lot of people questioned why it was a big deal to "need" to allow a woman on campus when so many all women's colleges still existed that didn't allow men.

It's a matter of equality.

Upvote 0

MehGuy

A member of the less neotenous sex..
Site Supporter
Jul 23, 2007
Minnesota
✟1,161,682.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Fair enough. I just want job security and to not have to worry about being eliminated basically for being a male.

From what I've gathered co-working spaces are independent buildings. So I wouldn't worry about them intruding regular office spaces.

If they're intruding offices, yeah there is more need to worry. I don't want to come to work only to find out parts of the building are off limits because I'm a man and apparently a bunch of women find me too overbearing to be around.

If men want to start their own, I see nothing stopping them. But like I said before, men are more socially dominate (and often numerous) so I do not see the same incentive to have one.

The answer is, what are you going to do about it? Retreating to a female only space seems backwards to me. Instead they should stand up for themselves more. Not create a safe space to hide. All it does it not address problems and make them worse. [Staff edit].

In reality, you can't force people to be truly egalitarian, and when you can't, you need alternatives that work.

I know I can't. Still, it's productive to share one's own thoughts and concerns on the matter.

While I'm against discriminatory segregation, the right to segregate one's self for one's own protection seems like something we've overlooked in all of this.

I haven't overlooked all this. I just see it as regressive. Do women have issues, sure? But from glancing at the typical feminist many of them blow their problems out of proportion. And spaces like these will only serve as echo chambers. Think of them like in real life tumblr. Lol.

Best thing for women is to stand their ground and be bold. You've done enough coddling among yourselves. All you've really done is skew your problems into increasingly ridiculous directions.

As far as the article goes, I never got this safety vibe. Seemed to be more about women wanting to be surrounded by other womanly women. Which again, brain sex is on a spectrum. There are some men who would feel more at home in a woman's space than a men's space.

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0

DaisyDay

I Did Nothing Wrong!! ~~Team Deep State
Jan 7, 2003
Finger Lakes
✟11,154.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
It does discriminate, but if it's private and not tax-deductible, who really cares? The purpose of it seems to be, as with many private clubs, to set themselves apart not as people with special interests but as special people. Meh.

The concern I do have is the business that's conducted there - if men are not allowed in the meeting rooms, then it cannot be written off as a business expense - I don't want to be subsidizing that. Let private be private.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

RDKirk

Alien, Pilgrim, and Sojourner
Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,450,439.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
They did make a "big deal" about the women's colleges back when a woman forced her way into the last "men's college". A lot of people questioned why it was a big deal to "need" to allow a woman on campus when so many all women's colleges still existed that didn't allow men.

It's a matter of equality.

The reason women wanted into "men's colleges" is because those were where business networks were being formed.

Upvote 0

Ana the Ist

Aggressively serene!
Feb 21, 2012
✟436,423.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
The reason women wanted into "men's colleges" is because those were where business networks were being formed.

I'm guessing that you don't remember the last one to be infiltrated was a military academy.

Business networks? Please. I think it's fair to say you've got no real reason to believe your own statement here.

Upvote 0

Paidiske

Clara bonam audax
Site Supporter
Apr 25, 2016
Albury, Australia
Visit site
✟1,503,521.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
red-strawberry-hat-wool-beret-girls-winter-wear20667.jpg

MOD HAT ON

This thread has had a small clean.
Please remember and abide by the rules on flaming and goading.​

MOD HAT OFF

Upvote 0

Vylo

Stick with the King!
Aug 3, 2003
New Jersey
✟203,465.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Yay, sexism, claim women cannot compete based on what? Nothing.
Uh, if you need spaces for only your gender, but deny the same to the other, that implies you cannot handle them, nor trust them.

Reactions: MehGuy
Upvote 0