United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith

At the present time there are those who, basing themselves on observations in the psychological order, have begun to judge indulgently, and even to excuse completely, homosexual relations between certain people. This they do in opposition to the constant teaching of the Magisterium and to the moral sense of the Christian people.

A distinction is drawn, and it seems with some reason, between homosexuals whose tendency comes from a false education, from a lack of normal sexual development, from habit, from bad example, or from other similar causes, and is transitory or at least not incurable; and homosexuals who are definitively such because of some kind of innate instinct or a pathological constitution judged to be incurable.

In regard to this second category of subjects, some people conclude that their tendency is so natural that it justifies in their case homosexual relations within a sincere communion of life and love analogous to marriage, in so far as such homosexuals feel incapable of enduring a solitary life.

Continued below.
No approval for homosexual acts - The Catholic Thing

WarriorAngel

I close my eyes and see you smile
Supporter
Apr 11, 2005
United States Pennsylvania
Visit site
✟428,486.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith

At the present time there are those who, basing themselves on observations in the psychological order, have begun to judge indulgently, and even to excuse completely, homosexual relations between certain people. This they do in opposition to the constant teaching of the Magisterium and to the moral sense of the Christian people.

A distinction is drawn, and it seems with some reason, between homosexuals whose tendency comes from a false education, from a lack of normal sexual development, from habit, from bad example, or from other similar causes, and is transitory or at least not incurable; and homosexuals who are definitively such because of some kind of innate instinct or a pathological constitution judged to be incurable.

In regard to this second category of subjects, some people conclude that their tendency is so natural that it justifies in their case homosexual relations within a sincere communion of life and love analogous to marriage, in so far as such homosexuals feel incapable of enduring a solitary life.

Continued below.
No approval for homosexual acts - The Catholic Thing
It's deep in the pysche.
And I feel what comes in can go back out.

A lot of it I surmise is self.

A bad relationship with the same sex parent causes seeking that love in same gender. Looking for the love in others what one may see as a defect in themselves from same gender parent.
So it is a false self sensing unloved by that parent for whatever reason. And to compensate people seek it in same gender.

For one thing, the Lord heals this with His Love.
People grow strong in His graces and the desires wane and eliminate.

I have heard the stories in many about childhood. Lack of same gender love seems the primary and albeit self taught ideas about self from it.

Upvote 0

High Fidelity

Supporter
Feb 9, 2014
✟896,801.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private
There are 70 million obese adults in the US. Does the Church have a plan to address this with the same ferocity as homosexuality?

I don’t disagree that homosexuality is against Scripture, but so is over-indulgence and gluttony. So to talk about the normalisation of homosexuality whilst no one seems to be addressing the elephant in the room (no pun intended), is a bit confusing.

It’s really the speck and the plank personified. Easier to point to the sin of others than address our own.

Upvote 0

WarriorAngel

Supporter
Apr 11, 2005
Visit site
✟428,486.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
There are 70 million obese adults in the US. Does the Church have a plan to address this with the same ferocity as homosexuality?

I don’t disagree that homosexuality is against Scripture, but so is over-indulgence and gluttony. So to talk about the normalisation of homosexuality whilst no one seems to be addressing the elephant in the room (no pun intended), is a bit confusing.

It’s really the speck and the plank personified. Easier to point to the sin of others than address our own.
This is why we accept graces from the Lord Who does transformation.

Upvote 0

High Fidelity

Supporter
Feb 9, 2014
✟896,801.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private
This is why we accept graces from the Lord Who does transformation.

Sorry, it’s been a long day and my brain is fried.

What do you mean?

Also just to add I appreciate I am in a denominational sub-forum and you guys used to get plenty of folks coming here looking for a fight, but that’s not me. I’m just asking genuinely out of curiosity.

I don’t agree with a lot regarding the RCC and its history, but I do still think there’s a tremendous amount of value in a centralised theological body and its ability to address problems of the day.

• Friendly
Reactions: pdudgeon
Upvote 0

Blade

Veteran
Supporter
Dec 29, 2002
USA
✟629,996.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

To the op we know the mind can be sick like the rest of the body and today seems one can say "this rock talks to me" and then we all can start buying rocks that can talk.. just never say they don't. I believe theres something more to all this..

High Fidelity your so right. There is no sin thats ok with God.

• Agree
Reactions: pdudgeon
Upvote 0

Wolseley

Beaucoup-Diên-Cai-Dāu
Feb 5, 2002
By the shores of Gitchee-Goomee
✟272,778.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

The difference, I believe, is that you don't see society bending over backwards to accommodate morbid obesity. You don't have "fat pride" parades in major cities, where obese people march down the street covered in foodstuffs, engaging in acts of gluttony for all the world to look at.

You don't have obese people who specifically target businesses that prefer not to cater to overindulgence in food and drink. Nobody weighing 480 pounds tries to sue Weight Watchers simply because Weight Watchers refuses to provide them with a 5-gallon bucket of chocolate sauce and a straw; but you will see homosexual people airily waltz past three dozen secular bakeries and specifically target the Christian business that has scruples against providing services for "gay weddings".

Homosexuals get angry at institutions that offer "conversion therapy" and raise the ruckus until they get politicians to agree with them---but you don't see fat people getting mad at weight-loss counseling clinics and demanding that laws be passed in favor of obesity. You don't see fat people trying to seduce young adults and try to lure them into an obese, unhealthy lifestyle; but homosexuals do so all the time.

So, yes; there are sins, and there are sins. And all sin is wrong, but not all sins are politically-charged and given a sort of special protected status simply because those committing the sins are addicted to that particular sin.

Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,223,725.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity

Er, um, how much do you weigh?

Upvote 0

eastcoast_bsc

Veteran
Mar 29, 2005
Boston
✟394,442.00
Faith
Christian

What do you mean?

Also just to add I appreciate I am in a denominational sub-forum and you guys used to get plenty of folks coming here looking for a fight, but that’s not me. I’m just asking genuinely out of curiosity.

I don’t agree with a lot regarding the RCC and its history, but I do still think there’s a tremendous amount of value in a centralised theological body and its ability to address problems of the day.

12“I have the right to do anything,” you say—but not everything is beneficial. “I have the right to do anything”—but I will not be mastered by anything. 13You say, “Food for the stomach and the stomach for food, and God will destroy them both.” The body, however, is not meant for sexual immorality but for the Lord, and the Lord for the body. 14By his power God raised the Lord from the dead, and he will raise us also. 15Do you not know that your bodies are members of Christ himself? Shall I then take the members of Christ and unite them with a prostitute? Never! 16Do you not know that he who unites himself with a prostitute is one with her in body? For it is said, “The two will become one flesh.”b 17But whoever is united with the Lord is one with him in spirit. c

18Flee from sexual immorality. All other sins a person commits are outside the body, but whoever sins sexually, sins against their own body. 19Do you not know that your bodies are temples of the Holy Spirit, who is in you, whom you have received from God? You are not your own; 20you were bought at a price. Therefore honor God with your bodies.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

WarriorAngel

Supporter
Apr 11, 2005
Visit site
✟428,486.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private

What do you mean?

Well first of all, you are a Steelers fan. :clap: Good on ya.
You question whether or not the Church addresses sins..?
Yes, we have a Catechism and we also have tools available for reflection on the conscience.

Reactions: RileyG
Upvote 0

RileyG

Veteran
Angels Team
Feb 10, 2013
Nebraska
✟235,233.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
The difference, I believe, is that you don't see society bending over backwards to accommodate morbid obesity. You don't have "fat pride" parades in major cities, where obese people march down the street covered in foodstuffs, engaging in acts of gluttony for all the world to look at.

You don't have obese people who specifically target businesses that prefer not to cater to overindulgence in food and drink. Nobody weighing 480 pounds tries to sue Weight Watchers simply because Weight Watchers refuses to provide them with a 5-gallon bucket of chocolate sauce and a straw; but you will see homosexual people airily waltz past three dozen secular bakeries and specifically target the Christian business that has scruples against providing services for "gay weddings".

Homosexuals get angry at institutions that offer "conversion therapy" and raise the ruckus until they get politicians to agree with them---but you don't see fat people getting mad at weight-loss counseling clinics and demanding that laws be passed in favor of obesity. You don't see fat people trying to seduce young adults and try to lure them into an obese, unhealthy lifestyle; but homosexuals do so all the time.

So, yes; there are sins, and there are sins. And all sin is wrong, but not all sins are politically-charged and given a sort of special protected status simply because those committing the sins are addicted to that particular sin.
The LGBT+ people get angry, IMO, because they know what they are doing is wrong. Their conscience is bothering them despite their deep seated attractions.

Upvote 0

WarriorAngel

Supporter
Apr 11, 2005
Visit site
✟428,486.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Sorry, a few replies and a busy day at work. I’ll have a read through tonight as I’m interested!

It’s been a long time but I’ll have to dig out the Catechism:D
Oh, you have one?
Nice.

I'm a Burgher BTW. As if that wasn't obvious. :oldthumbsup:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

fide

Dec 9, 2012
✟124,951.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married

I don’t disagree that homosexuality is against Scripture, but so is over-indulgence and gluttony......

Homosexual activity is an especially serious, even grave sin because it is so intimately opposed to the characteristic of human persons that makes them (us) entirely unique and "special" creations before God: He created us in the image and likeness of God Himself. This image and likeness enables us to be co-creators with Him in the continuing creation of human persons. Through the conjugal sexual union, a man and a woman are designed/enabled to be co-operators with God in the conception, birth, and bringing to maturity new human persons! The man contributes the sperm, the woman contributes the egg, God contributes the eternal human soul. And the marriage of the two provides the stable context of love and faith to guide and to mature the new child created.

This fact of human nature, male and female, was designed by God giving us great innate dignity and purpose and meaning: we are made in the divine image, and called into eternal communion with God our Creator and Redeemer. This is why we are here. We are to seek and enter that Holy Communion even now, though incompletely, so as to enter it (and Him) completely in eternity, through the great resurrection to come.

Many sins of men oppose this incredible and awesome dignity: homosexual activity, abortion, contraception, sexual redefinition via the "gender" confusion, and the refusal of authentic love to name a few. But homosexual activity is a direct denial and distortion of the holy act of conjugal union in marriage, one man, one woman, which is meant to be a participation in the potential divine and "miraculous" act of the creation of a new and unique and beloved human person - made also in the divine image.

Upvote 0
Jun 26, 2003
Visit site
✟257,941.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private

so we should let homosexuals go to hell because there are fat people around?
That is a poor argument

yes, gluttony is a deadly sin and it involves way more than over eating. Not all fat people are gluttonous and not all skinny people are free from the sin of gluttony. We can explore the facets of gluttony in another thread, but to say that we can’t discuss the sin of homosexuality because we are not discussing gluttony is absurd and serves no purpose. It would just be a conversation stopper

Upvote 0
Jun 26, 2003
Visit site
✟257,941.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
How does one respond to the arguments "love is love," and "how does it affect you?"

Lust is not love, you may feel like it is but it will wear off. The marital act is for reproduction not pure pleasure or the satisfaction of lust

• Haha
Reactions: RileyG
Upvote 0

eastcoast_bsc

Veteran
Mar 29, 2005
Boston
✟394,442.00
Faith
Christian
How does one respond to the arguments "love is love," and "how does it affect you?"

“Love is love” is just a slogan , nothing more. It was coined as a political slogan by gay rights action groups. The reality in the gay community is that promiscuity is rampant and ingrained in the gay male society. Most gay men who are in a relationship usually make a decision to open the relationship up or just accept it will be don’t ask don’t tell. The idea of “love is love” and finding a loving partner is a strong feeling. In the gay community it is amen illusion and most gay men and gay counselors know and admit it behind the scenes. Gay activist and columnist Dan Savage help doing the phrase “monogamish” where you can be in a relationship yet play on the side or as they say in the gay community “drag a 3rd home”.
The gay lifestyle is a lifestyle to quote the Bible one of always seeking but never finding. It’s all about hooking Week after week trying to fill a void but yet realizing inside that 2 of same kind never satisfy the craving they hunger for. There is a void that was created for whatever reason in a persons upbringing that they try to fill almost by trying to consume that identity by having sex with the image of what they lack. That is often manhood.

Upvote 0