NJ Rep cites Constitution to avoid swearing in GOP "Traitors."

TLK Valentine

I've already read the books you want burned.
Apr 15, 2012
Behind the 8-ball, but ahead of the curve.
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
What you call ‘cancel culture’ was the absolute norm in the past. People simply did not behave like that because the consequences would have been fierce and often fatal.

Well, that was always the best part of supporting Donald -- with him, all things are permissible.

Now his followers have to face a world with consequences again... and they're afraid.

Upvote 0

mmksparbud

Dec 3, 2011
Las Vegas
✟255,978.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Others
People do not lose their rights just because what they want to do is not popular. This is THE USA we do not repress freedom here. This cancel culture mentality needs to come to an end, it is flat out unamerican.

Yes, there are laws, and those who break them pay the consequences. Freedoms end where laws are broken. It would be unamerican to do otherwise.

Upvote 0

disciple Clint

Mar 26, 2018
Pacific Northwest
✟208,189.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Unless we consider fraud and terrorism in the name of overturning a legitimate election to be sedition...

...and there's also no small amount of irony in the "You lost; get over it" crowd threatening secession because they lost and can't get over it.
Fraud and terrorism, you are talking about the liberals when you use those terms anyone who has any knowledge of what has happened over the past 4 years knows that for a fact.

Upvote 0

disciple Clint

Mar 26, 2018
Pacific Northwest
✟208,189.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Sorry but you don’t seem to know the history of your own country very well. Go back 150 years and the kind of talk Trump supporters are engaging in would have certainly been considered sedition and likely prompted armed response.

On a wider note, the kind of language Trump et al use was never ok in America, and this idea of total freedom of speech is laughable. If someone 150-200 years ago had publicly insulted another mans wife, or smeared them in the way Trump loves to do, the expectation would have been that they would be physically attacked if not killed for it.

What you call ‘cancel culture’ was the absolute norm in the past. People simply did not behave like that because the consequences would have been fierce and often fatal.
And you should also mention that if a President of the United States had been treated back then the way Trump has been treated, well fierce and fatal would be an understatement. We are living in an age that respects nothing and expects everything without having to work for it, That is in total contrast to what our country is all about. We have liberals attempting to erode our national identity and promote globalism, That would have been treason less than 100 years ago.

Upvote 0

disciple Clint

Mar 26, 2018
Pacific Northwest
✟208,189.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Yes, there are laws, and those who break them pay the consequences. Freedoms end where laws are broken. It would be unamerican to do otherwise.
Well the OP was about "any House member that decides to challenge that vote on January 6 won't be seated." Do you support that concept of providing consequences for people who exercise their rights by doing something within the scope of their job but that you find objectionable?

Upvote 0

mmksparbud

Dec 3, 2011
Las Vegas
✟255,978.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Others
Well the OP was about "any House member that decides to challenge that vote on January 6 won't be seated." Do you support that concept of providing consequences for people who exercise their rights by doing something within the scope of their job but that you find objectionable?

I was talking about people who are calling for secession. I find that very unamerican, at the very least. It sounds like treason to me though I'm told there is a difference.

Upvote 0

disciple Clint

Mar 26, 2018
Pacific Northwest
✟208,189.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I was talking about people who are calling for secession. I find that very unamerican, at the very least. It sounds like treason to me though I'm told there is a difference.
Well what ever it is, it is not helping resolve any problems, they would have been better off not to have made that statement and yes I think it was unamerican but it was not a crime of any kind.

Upvote 0

mmksparbud

Dec 3, 2011
Las Vegas
✟255,978.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Others
Well what ever it is, it is not helping resolve any problems, they would have been better off not to have made that statement and yes I think it was unamerican but it was not a crime of any kind.

I don't know about that--but inciting riots over it would be.

Upvote 0

disciple Clint

Mar 26, 2018
Pacific Northwest
✟208,189.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I don't know about that--but inciting riots over it would be.
We have had far too many riots, the conservatives should leave that up to the liberals they have all the experience in that activity.

Upvote 0

KCfromNC

Apr 18, 2007
✟486,828.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
I don't know, GOP officials calling for states to leave the union could be interpreted as sedition, which is a crime last time I checked. And certainly un-American.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

disciple Clint

Mar 26, 2018
Pacific Northwest
✟208,189.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I don't know, GOP officials calling for states to leave the union could be interpreted as sedition, which is a crime last time I checked. And certainly un-American.
NO I do believe that in this nation you can count on your right to free speech with very few exceptions

Upvote 0

TLK Valentine

Apr 15, 2012
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
NO I do believe that in this nation you can count on your right to free speech with very few exceptions

Speech intended to incite illegal activity is not protected under the First Amendment.

Upvote 0

Speedwell

May 11, 2016
St Charles, IL
✟347,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
And you should also mention that if a President of the United States had been treated back then the way Trump has been treated, well fierce and fatal would be an understatement. We are living in an age that respects nothing and expects everything without having to work for it, That is in total contrast to what our country is all about. We have liberals attempting to erode our national identity and promote globalism, That would have been treason less than 100 years ago.
Which? Attempting to erode our national identity or promoting globalism?

Upvote 0

disciple Clint

Mar 26, 2018
Pacific Northwest
✟208,189.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Speech intended to incite illegal activity is not protected under the First Amendment.
The court can decide what the intent of the statement was and I do not think that this qualifies as Speech intended to incite illegal activity

Upvote 0

TLK Valentine

Apr 15, 2012
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
The court can decide what the intent of the statement was

Can't you? You heard the same words any court did.

and I do not think that this qualifies as Speech intended to incite illegal activity

Well, secession is illegal... just sayin.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

disciple Clint

Mar 26, 2018
Pacific Northwest
✟208,189.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Can't you? You heard the same words any court did.
As we learned with the Hillary case, a key element in deciding if an act is illegal is establishing intent, Mr Comey concluded that Hillary did not commit a crime because although what she did was indeed a violation of the law, well several violations of the law, she could not be prosecuted because she did not intend to violate the law.

Well, secession is illegal... just sayin.

Upvote 0

TLK Valentine

Apr 15, 2012
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
As we learned with the Hillary case, a key element in deciding if an act is illegal is establishing intent, Mr Comey concluded that Hillary did not commit a crime because although what she did was indeed a violation of the law, well several violations of the law, she could not be prosecuted because she did not intend to violate the law.

So the question becomes, were these congresspeople trying to overthrow a legitimate election in order to curry favor with el presidente, or were these Republican "lawmakers" sincerely so blatantly ignorant of... you know, the law, to think this suit had a snowball's chance in Hades of being heard, let alone being won?

Interesting: I've heard of "legally insane," and "legally drunk" -- seems that a lot of GOP Representatives need to be considered "legally ignorant" in order to escape consequences...

...and what could be more important than escaping consequences?

Reactions: mmksparbud
Upvote 0

disciple Clint

Mar 26, 2018
Pacific Northwest
✟208,189.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
So the question becomes, were these congresspeople trying to overthrow a legitimate election in order to curry favor with el presidente, or were these Republican "lawmakers" sincerely so blatantly ignorant of... you know, the law, to think this suit had a snowball's chance in Hades of being heard, let alone being won?

Interesting: I've heard of "legally insane," and "legally drunk" -- seems that a lot of GOP Representatives need to be considered "legally ignorant" in order to escape consequences...

...and what could be more important than escaping consequences?
I think they just know that the liberals are willing to do anything to get what they want, so nothing is out of the question regardless of how unlikely it might sound.

Upvote 0

TLK Valentine

Apr 15, 2012
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
I think they just know that the liberals are willing to do anything to get what they want, so nothing is out of the question regardless of how unlikely it might sound.

That makes no sense -- this wasn't a liberal lawsuit; it was (ill-) conceived by the Texas AG...

Anyone with even a passing knowledge of the law and/or the US Constitution knew this suit was going nowhere. Why jump on to the sinking ship?

• Agree
Upvote 0

cow451

Standing with Ukraine.
Site Supporter
May 29, 2012
Hot and Humid
✟1,120,276.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Those liberals resorted to winning the election. Deal with it.

Upvote 0