• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.
  3. Please note there is a new rule regarding the posting of videos. It reads, "Post a summary of the videos you post . An exception can be made for music videos.". Unless you are simply sharing music, please post a summary, or the gist, of the video you wish to share.
  4. There have been some changes in the Life Stages section involving the following forums: Roaring 20s, Terrific Thirties, Fabulous Forties, and Golden Eagles. They are changed to Gen Z, Millennials, Gen X, and Golden Eagles will have a slight change.
  5. CF Staff, Angels and Ambassadors; ask that you join us in praying for the world in this difficult time, asking our Holy Father to stop the spread of the virus, and for healing of all affected.
  6. We are no longer allowing posts or threads that deny the existence of Covid-19. Members have lost loved ones to this virus and are grieving. As a Christian site, we do not need to add to the pain of the loss by allowing posts that deny the existence of the virus that killed their loved one. Future post denying the Covid-19 existence, calling it a hoax, will be addressed via the warning system.

NIV 2011?

Discussion in 'Theologia Crucis - Lutherans' started by JBMM, Jul 31, 2015.

1. JBMM

JBMM Islander

+29
    Catholic
    Private
    CA-Liberals
    Hello, new to this sub forum. I have a question. How widely accepted is the 2011 revision of the NIV? I have recently purchased a NIV 2011 study bible and quite like it. I've heard some people dislike this translation.

Thoughts? Thanks! :)

We teamed up with Faith Counseling. Can they help you today?
  2. filosofer

filosofer Senior Veteran

+287
    Lutheran
  3. GracetotheHumble

GracetotheHumble Theology of the Cross

+302
    Lutheran
    Single
    I personally do not care for the NIV, it's a thought for thought translation and not a word for word. In my Church we use the ESV. I also use the KJV on the side.

4. filosofer

filosofer Senior Veteran

+287
    Lutheran
  5. Tangible

Tangible Decision Theology = Ex Opere Operato

+1,249
    United States
    Lutheran
    Married
    The ESV carries over the Reformed "obey the gospel" in Rom 10:16, 1 Pet 4:17, etc.

6. Obedientiarius

Obedientiarius AKA Dunstan

+9
    Lutheran
    Married
    My NIV exposure has been exclusively with the previous 1984 version via my old Concordia Self-Study Bible. This is a generalization, but ELCA folks tend to use the NRSV and LCMS folks tend toward the ESV. I know a lot of WELS folks used the NIV, but I don't know if that's still true post the 2011 version or not.

7. filosofer

filosofer Senior Veteran

+287
    Lutheran
    WELS is currently examining translations, including HCSB and others. As well, a group of WELS pastors have begun a new translation: http://wartburgproject.org/ .

8. Resha Caner

Resha Caner Expert Fool

+1,363
    Lutheran
    Married
    How do you think it should be translated? The NIV renders Romans 10:16 as "accepting" the Gospel, which seems counter to Lutheran theology, so how do you think it should read? Is the ASV "hearken" a better word?

9. Tangible

Tangible Decision Theology = Ex Opere Operato

+1,249
    United States
    Lutheran
    Married
    Not a Greek scholar but I've heard that guard, keep, maintain, etc. are also valid translations.

10. Cappadocious

Cappadocious Well-Known Member

+826
    Eastern Orthodox
    In Relationship
    US-Others
  11. Resha Caner

Resha Caner Expert Fool

+1,363
    Lutheran
    Married
    I often wonder if there isn't THE ONE translation, but rather it is discussions of the Word that lead to understanding as the Spirit works through our contemplations on such things.

Recently I've been interested in the underpinnings of Shannon's Theorem, which indicates the possibility of sending a perfect message to an imperfect receiver. One approach to doing this is to repeat the message over and over and over ...

12. Korah

Korah Anglican Lutheran Supporter

+100
    Lutheran
    Married
    US-Others
  13. filosofer

filosofer Senior Veteran

+287
    Lutheran
    Keep in mind that LSJ, et al, are good for broader context. But BDAG (Bauer Danker Arndt Gingrich) is the standard dictionary for Koine Greek, which gives "obey" and "heed" as possible glosses. It might be helpful to examine GEL (Greek English Lexicon) by Lida-Nouw, which deals with semantic domains.

14. Cappadocious

Cappadocious Well-Known Member

+826
    Eastern Orthodox
    In Relationship
    US-Others
    It gives different examples from literature. "Hearken" "answer" and "heed" all seem to work, but it would require further research to know.