AKA Dunstan
May 20, 2015
here
✟7,714.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
My NIV exposure has been exclusively with the previous 1984 version via my old Concordia Self-Study Bible. This is a generalization, but ELCA folks tend to use the NRSV and LCMS folks tend toward the ESV. I know a lot of WELS folks used the NIV, but I don't know if that's still true post the 2011 version or not.

Upvote 0

Resha Caner

Expert Fool
Sep 16, 2010
✟155,600.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
The ESV carries over the Reformed "obey the gospel" in Rom 10:16, 1 Pet 4:17, etc.

How do you think it should be translated? The NIV renders Romans 10:16 as "accepting" the Gospel, which seems counter to Lutheran theology, so how do you think it should read? Is the ASV "hearken" a better word?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Resha Caner

Expert Fool
Sep 16, 2010
✟155,600.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Not a Greek scholar but I've heard that guard, keep, maintain, etc. are also valid translations.

I often wonder if there isn't THE ONE translation, but rather it is discussions of the Word that lead to understanding as the Spirit works through our contemplations on such things.

Recently I've been interested in the underpinnings of Shannon's Theorem, which indicates the possibility of sending a perfect message to an imperfect receiver. One approach to doing this is to repeat the message over and over and over ...

Upvote 0

Korah

Anglican Lutheran
Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2007
California
✟24,848.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Upvote 0

filosofer

Senior Veteran
Feb 8, 2002
Visit site
✟6,913.00
Faith
Lutheran
Keep in mind that LSJ, et al, are good for broader context. But BDAG (Bauer Danker Arndt Gingrich) is the standard dictionary for Koine Greek, which gives "obey" and "heed" as possible glosses. It might be helpful to examine GEL (Greek English Lexicon) by Lida-Nouw, which deals with semantic domains.

Upvote 0

Cappadocious

Sep 29, 2012
✟30,661.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
So only "hearken" or "give ear" are acceptable? I don't know how to use this reference tool.
It gives different examples from literature. "Hearken" "answer" and "heed" all seem to work, but it would require further research to know.

Upvote 0