Texas
✟176,076.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
No, he apparently didn't like the fact that the flag in question was used by KKK groups? I haven't heard too much from him about it, but that sounds like the main concern, and I can understand that.
How many waves of the "Betsy Ross" flag does it take for an extremist group to claim the rights to the symbol?

Upvote 0

redleghunter

Thank You Jesus!
Supporter
Mar 18, 2014
Texas
✟176,076.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

Ringo84

Separation of Church and State expert
Jul 31, 2006
A Cylon Basestar
Visit site
✟121,289.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I guess the Westboro "baptist' church can start waving the rainbow flag and appropriate that too? Then people can petition all the rainbow paraphernalia be pulled from Pride month because Westboro and its homophobic theology appropriated the rainbow flag.

Sure that works!

Convenient excuse to claim that the flag is being "co-opted". Westboro co-opting the rainbow flag would never work. First, everyone knows they're extremists. Second, they'd never do it because they'd probably think that the flag itself had "gay cooties" on it or something. They wouldn't go near that flag, even in a lame attempt to co-opt it.
Ringo

Upvote 0

redleghunter

Thank You Jesus!
Supporter
Mar 18, 2014
Texas
✟176,076.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Westboro co-opting the rainbow flag would never work. First, everyone knows they're extremists.
And of course we all would agree the KKK are extremists and for them to co-opt what is a symbol of life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness would not work for them....except some are buying that or just finding other ways to destroy any and all American history.

Second, they'd never do it because they'd probably think that the flag itself had "gay cooties" on it or something. They wouldn't go near that flag, even in a lame attempt to co-opt it.
LOL...

Upvote 0

Ringo84

Separation of Church and State expert
Jul 31, 2006
A Cylon Basestar
Visit site
✟121,289.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
And of course we all would agree the KKK are extremists and for them to co-opt what is a symbol of life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness would not work for them....except some are buying that or just finding other ways to destroy any and all American history.

I agree: the KKK and their fellow travelers don't understand the symbols they claim as their own.
Ringo

Upvote 0

redleghunter

Thank You Jesus!
Supporter
Mar 18, 2014
Texas
✟176,076.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
A private company decided to exercise its speech in a certain way, and they are getting punished for it by the government. Yeah, I have an issue with that.
Not really punished. Punished would be if they had to pay higher state taxes than other corporations. All the Arizona governor did was cut off the corporate welfare for Nike the state gives to bloated companies.

Upvote 0

Archivist

Senior Veteran
Supporter
Mar 5, 2004
Morgantown, West Virginia, USA
✟571,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Then they should be the first ones to oppose the 'tackification' (if that's a word) of a flag that is such a major symbol of our country.
Ringo
4 United States Code Section 8(d) provides that "The flag should never be used as wearing apparel,
bedding, or drapery." However, the depiction of the flag on this shoe is not an official US flag, therefore it does not violate to law.

Upvote 0

Newtheran

Sep 10, 2018
South
✟26,789.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
This is going to be a sensitive issue, so I'll tread carefully. Arizona Governor Douglas Ducey decided to withdraw all financial incentives provided to Nike, Inc., for withdrawing its Betsy Ross American flag sneakers. Governor Ducey chastised Nike for being ashamed of American history and heritage, and abandoning it. I'm sympathetic to the past and the fact that Nike creates jobs in AZ (I don't hold Nike). However, as a Republican sympathizer, I'll have to agree with Gov Ducey that Nike should have been proud of American heritage and not abandoned it. Nike, is after all an American company. What do you folks think?

Link:
Arizona governor to withdraw Nike financial incentives after shoe company pulls 'Betsy Ross' American flag sneakers

Increasingly you're seeing certain corporations take controversial positions in support of radical and fringe elements in society. When they do make such poor decisions it isn't surprising that they have a financial cost associated with them.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Sm412

Nov 25, 2018
Vancouver
✟16,162.00
Country
United States
Faith
Episcopalian
Marital Status
Single
I don't support Nike because they pay Indonesian workers less than a dollar a day to make their shoes, and house them in obscenely filthy and dismal conditions no human being should ever live in. As a Christian, I cannot support that. American prisoners live better than Nike's overseas employees.

Upvote 0

Archivist

Senior Veteran
Supporter
Mar 5, 2004
Morgantown, West Virginia, USA
✟571,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Increasingly you're seeing certain corporations take controversial positions in support of radical and fringe elements in society. When they do make such poor decisions it isn't surprising that they have a financial cost associated with them.
Given Nike’s income, this isn’t going to hurt them much.

Upvote 0

Sm412

Nov 25, 2018
Vancouver
✟16,162.00
Country
United States
Faith
Episcopalian
Marital Status
Single
Social progress moves constantly forward. Social conservatism is an ever receding ideology; it slowly gives up ground as the years pass by. For example, social conservatives were pro-segregation before the Civil Rights Act, but have since given up that ground. They were also against Don't Ask Don't Tell, but have since given up that ground as well, fighting FOR it in response to the government allowing allowing LGBT soldiers to serve openly.

Neutrality is a safe bet for businesses, but if you're going to take any stance, a stance against social conservatism is always best. When social conservatives inevitably give up ground, and their past positions are viewed by newer generations as backwards bigotry, you don't want to be remembered as having supported them.

Upvote 0

parousia70

Livin' in yesterday's tomorrow
Supporter
Feb 24, 2002
Oregon
✟794,018.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

Shouldn't the Market be left alone to Decide what cost, if any, the corporation should bear, or are you advocating that Government is better suited than free market forces to determine and then extract the financial cost that should be paid for a company's bad business decisions?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

parousia70

Supporter
Feb 24, 2002
Oregon
✟794,018.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Neutrality is a safe bet for businesses

Agreed. I'm apolitical in my business practices.
I want the Religious Bigots to spend their money with me just as much as I want LGBTQIA to spend their Money with me... if they need the same widget I sell, I'm gonna sell it to both parties. Cha-Ching!

Makes no difference in my Bank deposit at the end of each day which dollar came from a Nazi and which dollar came from an Antifa... In fact, I'll challenge anyone who thinks they can look in my bank deposit bag at the end of the day and tell me which dollar came from which person...

Or I challenge the Hillbilly running the Quick Trip down the street to tell me which dollar I'm spending there for some flaming hot cheetos came from me selling a fastener to a Lesbian Couple, and which came from me selling a door gasket to a white supremacist..

Ol'e Cleatus could never tell the difference even if he wanted to, I assure you.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

parousia70

Supporter
Feb 24, 2002
Oregon
✟794,018.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I don't support Nike because they pay Indonesian workers less than a dollar a day to make their shoes, and house them in obscenely filthy and dismal conditions no human being should ever live in. As a Christian, I cannot support that. American prisoners live better than Nike's overseas employees.

Unless of course those American Prisoners are Immigrant children seeking asylum at our southern border... compared to that, The Indonesian salary/boarding situation that Nike's got going starts to look pretty good...

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Sm412

Nov 25, 2018
Vancouver
✟16,162.00
Country
United States
Faith
Episcopalian
Marital Status
Single
Unless of course those American Prisoners are Immigrant children seeking asylum at our southern border... compared to that, The Indonesian salary/boarding situation that Nike's got going starts to look pretty good...

Point taken. Well said.

• Friendly
Reactions: parousia70
Upvote 0

Sm412

Nov 25, 2018
Vancouver
✟16,162.00
Country
United States
Faith
Episcopalian
Marital Status
Single
All of the costs associated with policy positions have been carefully weighed and have been found to be profitable in the long term. In 40 years, Trump's treatment of migrant families will be viewed as an atrocity, much the same way FDR's internment of Japanese-Americans is viewed that way today. Today's social conservative positions will in the future be viewed as morally and intellectually bankrupt, and even social conservatives themselves will distance themselves from it. How do I know this? Because it always happens this way. Always. 70 years ago, social conservatives went as far as terrorist acts, free speech suppression, and brutality to preserve segregation. Today they deny having had anything to do with it, and point the finger elsewhere.

It's sound business practice to oppose it now, lose a few customers, and be viewed in the future of having been on the right side of history. The present losses have been weighed against future benefits. The MAGA crowd isn't a market worth keeping.

Upvote 0

Arcangl86

Dec 29, 2013
✟343,217.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
This is a good point. There are plenty of reasons to be critical of Nike and it's business practices, but people are getting upset that they decided not to produce a particular product.

Reactions: Sm412
Upvote 0