• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.

Featured Nike losing financial incentives in Arizona

Discussion in 'Current News & Events' started by mukk_in, Jul 2, 2019.

1. mukk_in

mukk_in Yankees fan Supporter

+3,178
    India
    Christian
    Celibate
    This is going to be a sensitive issue, so I'll tread carefully. Arizona Governor Douglas Ducey decided to withdraw all financial incentives provided to Nike, Inc., for withdrawing its Betsy Ross American flag sneakers. Governor Ducey chastised Nike for being ashamed of American history and heritage, and abandoning it. I'm sympathetic to the past and the fact that Nike creates jobs in AZ (I don't hold Nike). However, as a Republican sympathizer, I'll have to agree with Gov Ducey that Nike should have been proud of American heritage and not abandoned it. Nike, is after all an American company. What do you folks think?

Link:
    Arizona governor to withdraw Nike financial incentives after shoe company pulls 'Betsy Ross' American flag sneakers

We teamed up with Faith Counseling. Can they help you today?
  2. Brian Mcnamee

Brian Mcnamee Well-Known Member

+684
    Non-Denom
    Married
    Kaepernick Is not my quarterback

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  3. Ringo84

Ringo84 Separation of Church and State expert

+4,355
    United States
    Baptist
    Single
    US-Others
    "Don't tread on my flag!"

"......unless it's on a shoe, in which case, have at it!"
    Ringo

4. Sparagmos

Sparagmos Well-Known Member

+1,963
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Married
    We should all be ashamed of certain parts of American history. To say Nike “abandoned American heritage” because they chose not to promote ONE small part of American history is silly.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  5. archarios

archarios New Member

+68
    United States
    Lutheran
    Single
    i've given up all opposition to this culture war stuff. i now fully support the idea that one person can complain and get a product pulled, a show cancelled, a person fired or jailed, or an entire hemisphere thrown in the garbage. Just as long as it is never, ever, ever a Christian or a conservative who is allowed to do so.

6. Ringo84

+4,355
    United States
    Baptist
    Single
    US-Others
    I'd like to hear Kaepernick's take on this rather than what some GOP politician has to say about it. I trust Kaep on this a lot more than I trust some Republican.
    Ringo

7. Hank77

Hank77 Well-Known Member Supporter

+9,292
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Married
    US-Others
    I agree with Gov. Ducey, Nike shouldn't have pulled the Betsy Ross sneakers. I supported Kaepernick but he has to remember that not everything in our history is defined by slavery.
    I don't agree with the Gov. about pulling the financing from the deal with Nike, that's as many as 500 needed jobs in Phoenix. The Gov. should be putting the people of his state first before getting revenge on Nike for something like this. imo, It's nothing but grandstanding to get recognition from Pres. Trump.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  8. redleghunter

redleghunter Thank You Jesus! Supporter

+26,683
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    Nike was all in, their idea to produce the shoe. Then Colin Kaepernick (an unemployed NFL QB) told them no and they pulled the product.

Basically Colin is calling the shots at Nike and stock holders should take note if this is how they want their company run.

9. Ringo84

+4,355
    United States
    Baptist
    Single
    US-Others
    US Flag Code:

Source: 4 U.S. Code § 8 - Respect for flag
    Ringo

10. redleghunter

redleghunter Thank You Jesus! Supporter

+26,683
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    I agree with your post. But it was not why Kaepernick ordered Nike to recall the product.

11. Ringo84

+4,355
    United States
    Baptist
    Single
    US-Others
    I was pleasantly surprised! I think we can all agree that the flag clothing goes too far.

No, he apparently didn't like the fact that the flag in question was used by KKK groups? I haven't heard too much from him about it, but that sounds like the main concern, and I can understand that.
    Ringo

12. Hank77

+9,292
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Married
    US-Others
    I'm not sure if you are pointing out the advertising or temporary use on shoes? Either way here is what the American Legion, they wrote the code, has to say about the flag on clothing.

Question:
    Is it permissible to wear an item of clothing that looks like the United States flag?
    Answer:
    Unless an article of clothing is made from an actual United States flag, there is NO breach of flag etiquette whatsoever. People are simply expressing their patriotism and love of country by wearing an article of clothing that happens to be red, white, and blue with stars and stripes. There is nothing illegal about the wearing or use of these items.

Is it permissible to wear an item of clothing that looks like the United States flag? | The American Legion

13. Ringo84

+4,355
    United States
    Baptist
    Single
    US-Others
    That's the American Legion's opinion, but as far as I know, they don't have any real say on what the Flag Code means or doesn't mean.

I think flag-draped clothing is really tacky.
    Ringo

14. Hank77

+9,292
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Married
    US-Others
    The KKK can along 90 yrs. later, they used a confederate flag. It appears to me he was objecting to there being slavery in the colonies during that time period.

15. Hank77

+9,292
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Married
    US-Others
    The American Legion wrote the code and gave it to the Congress in 1942.

16. Ringo84

+4,355
    United States
    Baptist
    Single
    US-Others
    This is what CNBC said:

Source: Nike pulls sneakers with 'Betsy Ross' American flag after Colin Kaepernick complains
    Ringo

17. Ringo84

+4,355
    United States
    Baptist
    Single
    US-Others
    Then they should be the first ones to oppose the 'tackification' (if that's a word) of a flag that is such a major symbol of our country.
    Ringo

18. Hank77

+9,292
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Married
    US-Others
    At the time, a local chapter of the NAACP said the Betsy Ross flag was being appropriated by some extremist groups opposed to diversity in the U.S.

So a local chapter of the NAACP said that some extremist groups were inappropriately using the Betsy Ross flag everyone else has to stop using it appropriately? Hogwash and bullpucky.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  19. Hank77

+9,292
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Married
    US-Others
    So tell them about it, I'm sure there is contact info. on their site.

20. Ringo84

+4,355
    United States
    Baptist
    Single
    US-Others
    Oh OK. Guess that settles that

/sarcasm
    Ringo