Nickelodeon/homosexuality Controversy Heats Up!

OldBadfish

Dec 30, 2001
Montana
✟12,709.00
seebs, I believe homosexuality is breeded, and not hereditary. It is a choice. Any accountable person in charge of all their faculties with biblical knowledge, knows it is wrong.

I firmly believe it is taught and not genetic. So homosexuals are choosing this lifestyle and as a Christian this lifestyle should be looked upon just like any other sin.

Upvote 0

seebs

God Made Me A Skeptic
Apr 9, 2002
Saint Paul, MN
Visit site
✟55,225.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Badfish: What you believe flatly contradicts every scrap of research available.

The facts are these:

The percentage of the male population that is homosexual does not vary with culture, upbringing, or parenting. Gay parents of adoptive kids do not have more (or fewer) gay children than straight parents of adoptive kids. Male homosexuality runs in the maternal line; the blood siblings of a gay person are much more likely to be gay than the general population is, no matter who raises them or what they're taught.

A religious upbringing affects the chances of cohabitation or promiscuous sex; it does not affect the chances of homosexuality.

The fact is, "this lifestyle" doesn't exist, any more than "the heterosexual lifestyle" exists. I know some straight people who sleep around, and others in committed relationships. Which one is "the straight lifestyle"? NEITHER! There is no such thing.

There is *NO* evidence to suggest that homosexuality is "taught", "learned", or in any way caused by anything that happens later in life; if it's being acquired, it's acquired by age 2 or so - researchers can identify gay kids at age 2 with about 75% accuracy, just by observing styles of play.

As to the clarity of the Bible, all I'll say here (since this has been done to death) is that there are several reasonable avenues of investigation that do not support this conclusion, and whole denominations disagree; thus, it's pretty well shown that it's not *clear*.

Not that long ago, most people felt that the Bible made it "clear" that interracial relationships were disgusting and wrong.

So, to summarize:

1. It's not a choice. Whether or not to have gay sex is a choice. Whether or not to *want* it is *NOT* a choice.
2. The Bible is so clear on this that whole books have been written arguing both for and against your interpretation. If it were that obvious, no one would ever have needed to write a book on it.

I know actual gay people; I know what they think about Christianity, how they've been treated by Christians, and how God works in their lives. Generally, if they can get past the hatred espoused by people who have been told to hate gays, they find that God is perhaps the *only* person who will accept them as He made them.

Upvote 0
Yes. I'm sure my pastor would say love thy neighbor...but loving thy neighbor does not mean accepting their sin, or condoning it.I question any minister of Christ who would. Sorry, that's just me.

I just really can't argue with people here who refuse to see the truth God so clearly states in his word.

People need to stop reading "books" and claiming them as gospel, they need to read the Word and God will convict them and teach you as you go.

I'm done!(I think)

Love you all, and Godbless,
Living for Him,Lori

Upvote 0

OldBadfish

Dec 30, 2001
Montana
✟12,709.00
That was a well written post seebs, thanks.

The Bible is so clear on this that whole books have been written arguing both for and against your interpretation. If it were that obvious, no one would ever have needed to write a book on it.

Do you think that it may be that obvious because world culture has just blighted the bible by bringing to light that homosexuality is genetic? Therefore creating a sort of placebo thought pattern?
Maybe society accepts this controversial and quite possibly incorrect data because of cultural seasoning. If we were to take this data and dissect it and were geneticists I'm sure we could find many discrepencies.

I still don't believe it.

And I treat homosexuals just the same as all sinners (namely all of us). My wifes brother, sister, and uncles are homosexuals and I am very nice to them. I do not judge them.

But I will raise my children with the best chance of not becoming homosexual or any other sinful person. That includes NOT letting my child watch Rosie O'donnell or any other pro homosexual show.

I'm sorry if I have helped turn this thread into a off topic debate.
I just would think most would agree with my thoughts and the bible.

Upvote 0

Susan

退屈させた1 つ (bored one)
Feb 16, 2002
El Cajon, California, USA
Visit site
✟15,012.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
I will bow out here as I see that I have nothing more to add than that homosexual actions are sin and that children should not be exposed to such behavior.
:) peace and see you in another thread

Upvote 0

OldBadfish

Dec 30, 2001
Montana
✟12,709.00
Originally posted by chickenman
I hope all your children grow up and question every bit of crap you've force fed them, hopefully they'll be able to think for themselves, and not have their thinking done for them by scientifically naive and narrow minded fundamentalists.

What does teaching our children that homosexuality is a sin have to do with them being forcefed and not thinking for themselves? :scratch:

So forcefeeding them Rosies Homosexual funhouse is going to enlighten and teach my children that everything is ok, and teach them to think for themselves?

"Ok kids, my lifestyle is just a little bit different, it is ok kids, it is a choice and is normal and one day you can make this choice"

This makes no sense!! This has nothing of value to add to my childrens life, it is only detremental.

Sin is wrong we must teach our children that the sins described in the bible are wrong, my youngster watching Rosie O'Donnell and her homosexual show is not going to teach her anything except that sin and homosexuality is ok and/or acceptable.

And we wonder whats wrong with our country, with the world. It is full of immorality and sin. :rolleyes:

I have had my say, nobody can tell me or convince me this ok. Because it is wrong!!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Satoshi

Mar 21, 2002
Visit site
✟774.00
Originally posted by Badfish
What does teaching our children that homosexuality is a sin have to do with them being forcefed and not thinking for themselves? :scratch:
Teaching that homosexuality is a sin isn't like teaching them about gravity. The former lesson is just a prejudice, like prejudice against blacks or Jews or people with green hair. One may overcome their prejudices when one thinks about them, their origins, and their consequences.
So forcefeeding them Rosies Homosexual funhouse is going to enlighten and teach my children that everything is ok, and teach them to think for themselves?
Odd, I didn't see anyone recommend that you forcefeed kids Rosie's Homosexual Funhouse. In fact, I rather doubt that such a show exists anywhere but your imagination.
"Ok kids, my lifestyle is just a little bit different, it is ok kids, it is a choice and is normal and one day you can make this choice"

This makes no sense!! This has nothing of value to add to my childrens life, it is only detremental.
That choice to be homosexual--is it like the choice to be black? No wonder it makes no sense. Fortunately, only a few fundamentalists teach that.
Sin is wrong we must teach our children that the sins described in the bible are wrong, my youngster watching Rosie O'Donnell and her homosexual show is not going to teach her anything except that sin and homosexuality is ok and/or acceptable.
Sin like worshipping a different God than the Biblical God? Perhaps you'd best keep your kids away from the America and its secular Bill of Rights. It will just teach them that sin and freedom of religion is OK and/or acceptable.
And we wonder whats wrong with our country, with the world. It is full of immorality and sin. :rolleyes:
Perhaps the United States should create a new ministry for the Prevention of Vice and Promotion of Virtue.
I have had my say, nobody can tell me or convince me this ok. Because it is wrong!!
Gee, good to see that you're reasonable about this issue.

Upvote 0
What is so hard for you people to understand? There IS NOTHING TO REASON about !!!

I am just curious about something, if you are not a Christian and you do not believe what the Bible says, what God says, why would you come to a place called CHRISTIAN Forums? Are you just so unhappy, that you relish the idea of arguing about everything? I mean obviously, you're not going to change us, and the way that we believe, the things we KNOW in our hearts to be true?!!!! I really would just like to know, I can understand when a Christian goes somewhere to try to be a witness for God, but why would a non-christian go somewhere just to argue and cause strife? Is that the reason? I'm not happy and I don't have peace so I'm gonna try to make sure nobody else has it? Ever heard of being HELD ACCOUNTABLE!? People WE WILL be held accountable for the things we say and do, can you imagine this...standing before the King, and Him saying to you, "see Joe over there, burning in Hell? He's there because of you."

Unbelievable.

Chickenman...you need the gift of enlightenment and the gift of discernment.And you need to learn to play nice in the sandbox...

Seebs, I truly do believe your heart is in the right place, and for some reason I believe you are here searching for something and maybe you're not even sure that's why your here yet.You seem to have the knowledge, you just need to learn how to let go and LET GOD.

And SATOSHI? Some of our dearest friends are black, we even have some Chinese and some Turkish...being gay is NO COMPARISON to being black. In one of my previous posts, as I said already, but I'll say it again, I have my Aunt Lorna, my dad's sister, who is a lesbian. I love her, she's my Aunt, but I do NOT agree with her lifestyle. Am I kind to her? Does she know I love her? YES...does she know I believe she is Biblically incorrect in her lifestyle, and that I believe unless she repents and asks God for his forgiveness and mercy that she is going to HEll? Absolutely. Do I preach at her every time I see her, NOPE. But I live in the hope that through me , she will see Jesus, and she will go to Heaven with me. And I know that I have been a witness to her and I do not believe there is any chance of being held accountable where she is concerned...

Our children are our future. Can you not see the difference in our world from 30 years ago? Even 10...this world is going to hell in a handbasket, forgive the pun, we have 14 year olds running around , destroying peoples property, getting high, living on the streets? Why because their parents don't care enough about them to help mold them into the good ,honest, forthright, moral people that GOD has given them to us for! It's our job! Yeah it would be eaier to just throw our hands up in the air and go "Fine! Just go do what you want, I'm tired of arguing,I'm tired of talking till I'm blue in the face ! GO!" We are not to just be our kids "buddies" we are PARENTS. And as parents, we too should ask and pray for the gift of discernment. I for one am not for one minute stupid enough to think that in todays world, I could possibly raise my kids without God on my side. And you know what else? It's not always fun, it's hard, and it's heartbreaking at times, but I know in the end, it will be worth it. Always I know this. So I persevere, I push on, every day I keep on doing the job God has given me to do to the BEST of my abilities.

So yes, I will teach my children that being GAY is WRONG. And yes I will teach them to love thy neighbor as thyself. That does not however mean, love them and if you decide that's what you wanna be like, well, ok...

You all are just gettin me all fired up on this subject ...MY kids are my LIFE.I am sure I will make alot of mistakes along the way of raising them...but because I have Jesus on my side, I believe I will win the race.

And I will also continue to pray for any and all of those who are lost and blind, in hopes that they will someday know the peace that passeth all understanding that you can receive when you let God be in control of your mind, your actions and above all your heart.

Have a good day!!!! And Godbless!

Lori

Upvote 0
Wow. After yet another lengthy reply, I went to the rest of my mail, and this was my devotion for the day...the Lord works in mysterious ways...

Slow Search for Truth

Nicodemus, the leader who had met with Jesus earlier, then
spoke up. "Is it legal to convict a man before he is given a
hearing?" he asked.

-- John 7:50-51 (NLT)

KEY THOUGHT:
One of my favorite stories in the Gospel of John is the story of
Nicodemus. This wonderful seeker of truth came to Jesus at night
because he saw in Jesus something of heaven. However, it wasn't easy
for him to come to Jesus all at once. God kept working on his seeking
heart leading him closer to Jesus through the events and circumstances
of both Jesus' life and Nicodemus' role as a religious leader.
Eventually, the events of the Cross captured Nicodemus' heart just as
Jesus said they would. Even here, in a hostile setting, his search for
truth and love of integrity called Nicodemus to stand up for Jesus. For
me, Nicodemus is the great reminder not to give up hope on those around
me who have not yet become Christians, but who keep having Jesus tug at
their heart. Let's not give up on these precious people in our lives,
but work and pray for them to come to see Jesus in light of the Cross!

TODAY'S PRAYER:
Father, please be with the folks in my life who are good-hearted and
genuine, but who haven't responded yet to the call of Jesus. Help me as
I try to make my life a consistent and helpful witness to Jesus and his
transforming power. Guide my words and give me wisdom for the proper
timing to know when to talk with them about Jesus. Most of all, please
be at work in their lives just as you were in the life of Nicodemus and
bring them safely into your Kingdom. In Jesus' name I pray. Amen.

Amen Amen and Amen....

Upvote 0

coastie

Hallelujah Adonai Yeshua!
Apr 6, 2002
Central Valley of CA
Visit site
✟8,286.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Ok, a real quick one-liner from the peanut gallery.

Saying homosexuality is a sin is not prejudice. It is not the same as judging someone, it is just saying that that act is a sin. Saying that someone is a sinner is a no-brainer (because we all are sinners), it's like saying "Hey look that person over there breathes."

Zach

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Originally posted by Messenger
I have told them how wrong the Bible states homosexuality is

Well, that issue is apparently not definitively settled in many theologians’ minds.

Right or wrong aside, what about the compassion issue? In most cases, we have people who, for whatever reason, are uncomfortable with a relationship with the opposite sex. However, they find companionship and joy in a loving relationship with a partner of the same sex. I’ve known same-sex couples who are very happy and stoutly monogamous in their relationship. Joy and happiness are hard enough to find in a relationship, why should anyone make it even harder for these people?

Upvote 0

OldBadfish

Dec 30, 2001
Montana
✟12,709.00
Well theyre here, close companionship is different than same sex participants. As long as the relationship is platonic I see no harm in that.

Joy and happiness are hard enough to find in a relationship, why should anyone make it even harder for these people?

If they are living platonic, more power to them.

Upvote 0

eldermike

Pray
Site Supporter
Mar 24, 2002
NC
Visit site
✟20,209.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I have a different issue than posted thus far. TV is special type of business. Because they have all the watts they are required to do a certain amount of "public service" type programming. I would think that this type program would fall under that lable because most advertisers would run for the hills over such a subject; so profit is not the motive. Now if public service is the motive then I would want to know how will be public be served by this. I can handle the family issue by changing the channel or turning it off, I actually don't care what is on the tube as long as I have an off switch on my set. So I know it's not for me, I would never watch such a program and they know that. So who is the target audience? Most kids these days watch what they want to watch, they have TV in ever room so as not to bother mom and dad while they watch in another room. My issue is not with the issue, it's this: If TV show designers believe that they can teach a generation this message, what else can they teach? Who are they? And why would anyone on either side of this issue not take issue with the "who is teaching our kids"? Public service is a poor replacement of parents.

Blessings

Upvote 0