Nickelodeon/homosexuality Controversy Heats Up!

coastie

Hallelujah Adonai Yeshua!
Apr 6, 2002
Central Valley of CA
Visit site
✟8,286.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Honestly, several of the comments on this thread go well beyond any scriptural condemnation; they are simply expressions of prejudice and that is all.

Believe it or not, I actually agree with Brimshack on this one.

Some of this stuff is way out of the Biblical realm. The Bible simply states that it is a sin, however, we have a duty to love everyone. Just because someone is gay doesn't mean that they don't also need to hear the word of God, they still need Christian fellowship, they still need a family.

Here is something my grandma has always said to me since I was a little kid (and this goes for anything)

"Hate the sin, Love the sinner." because we are all sinners and none is any better than the other.

"...For all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God."

Zach

Upvote 0

Hank

has the Right to be wrong
May 28, 2002
Toronto
✟16,926.00
Faith
Atheist
Politics
CA-Conservatives
Originally posted by seebs

So?

Psychologists have spent years trying to find a correlation between homosexuality and anything else that would be considered a "mental disorder". There isn't one. So... if it's a disorder, it's a disorder unlike any other.

I'm not going to bother responding to the various other comments; suffice it to say that the Leviticus thing is a bad argument in a number of ways, all of which have been discussed *to death* in the Homosexuality thread over in General Apologetics.

You're welcome to "dislike homosexuals", just as you're welcome to "dislike blacks". I can't stop you. I can feel sorry for you.
Sorry too easy labeling me as prejudice.
Skin color is very thin. Human behaviour very deep.

What happens in another person's bedroom is none of my business. Yet, if you chose to tell me and then expect me to approve it, well sorry this is a little too much.

What about men liking little boys?
What about me getting ten women?

Where do you draw the line in abnormal behaviour? For the same reason you will eventually draw the line I do too with homosexuals.

Upvote 0

Hank

May 28, 2002
Toronto
✟16,926.00
Faith
Atheist
Politics
CA-Conservatives
Originally posted by coastie

Believe it or not, I actually agree with Brimshack on this one.

Some of this stuff is way out of the Biblical realm. The Bible simply states that it is a sin, however, we have a duty to love everyone. Just because someone is gay doesn't mean that they don't also need to hear the word of God, they still need Christian fellowship, they still need a family.

Here is something my grandma has always said to me since I was a little kid (and this goes for anything)

"Hate the sin, Love the sinner." because we are all sinners and none is any better than the other.

"...For all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God."

Zach
Well you are supposed to love the sinner after he/she repented. Or are you telling me you love everyone? Even a heretic arrogant guy like me?

Upvote 0

Brimshack

Mar 23, 2002
Arizona
✟12,010.00
Faith
Atheist
Your own woding suggests the heart of the problem Hank. You sid you dislike homosexuals. That is not moral reasoning; it is an expression of your own emotional state. And it suggests that we should take the arguments which follow with a grain of salt.

Your observation that variations in DNA codes can lead to disfigurement as well as Homosexuality leads to a weird position. You ask why we should accept homosexuality as normal (implying that we do not do the same for handicapped people)? OK, so we don't treat physical deformities as normal, but neither should we treat handicapped individuals as abnormal in any moral sense. Even if you must condemn homosexuality as a sin that does not mean you should reject the individual in question. If salvation and church membership is contingent on people stopping all sin, then I suspect there won't be many people in the churches on Sunday. You don't have to approve the behavior to accept the person, but that is the real issue, as you clearly stated Hank; you cannot accept the person.

What about men liking little boys? Pedophilia is a different issue altogether.

And if you can get 10 women to willfully consent, I for one will count you as my hero.

I don't draw the line at abnormality at all; deviance itself strike me as a social fact with no inherent moral implications. I draw the line at harmfulness. So, no, you are anot drawing the line for the same reason that I would.

Upvote 0

kern

Miserere Nobis
Apr 14, 2002
Florida, USA
Visit site
✟3,249.00
Faith
Catholic
The secular difference between the various sexual practices normally comes down to consent.

Pedophilia and inappropriate behavior with animals are not OK because children are too young to consent, and animals are not thought to be able to consent (although there do exist a small group of people who call themselves "zoophiles" and claim animals can consent, but that's neither here nor there).

Cheating on your spouse is also dishonest and can hurt feelings.

-Chris

Upvote 0

seebs

God Made Me A Skeptic
Apr 9, 2002
Saint Paul, MN
Visit site
✟55,225.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Originally posted by Hank

Sorry too easy labeling me as prejudice.
Skin color is very thin. Human behaviour very deep.

What happens in another person's bedroom is none of my business. Yet, if you chose to tell me and then expect me to approve it, well sorry this is a little too much.

No one's expecting you to "approve" anything; just to keep your personal attitude out of their lives.

What about men liking little boys?
What about me getting ten women?

The first is a consent issue. The second, well, lots of people in the Bible did that.

Where do you draw the line in abnormal behaviour? For the same reason you will eventually draw the line I do too with homosexuals.

I draw the line at "consent".

Upvote 0

seebs

God Made Me A Skeptic
Apr 9, 2002
Saint Paul, MN
Visit site
✟55,225.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

Well you are supposed to love the sinner after he/she repented. Or are you telling me you love everyone? Even a heretic arrogant guy like me?

No, you are supposed to love them *all the time*, even if they don't repent. And yes, that includes people like you. I feel bad for you that you have this big problem with other people's sex lives.

Upvote 0

coastie

Hallelujah Adonai Yeshua!
Apr 6, 2002
Central Valley of CA
Visit site
✟8,286.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian

Yes, I love everyone. Even you... I bet that makes your skin crawl huh?
icon_bolt.gif

I used to get squirmish when in the vicinity of Homosexuals, but I have two cousins on opposite sides of my family that are gay. It's something I had to get over. I still don't think it's right and it's a sin, however, I just can't let my feelings about their sin cloud my vision about who they really are as a person.

Zach

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Hank

May 28, 2002
Toronto
✟16,926.00
Faith
Atheist
Politics
CA-Conservatives
Originally posted by seebs

No, you are supposed to love them *all the time*, even if they don't repent. And yes, that includes people like you. I feel bad for you that you have this big problem with other people's sex lives.
Actually I never cared about other people's sex life.

That changed when the gay and lesbians community started to preach they are just like me. And the political correct, our newest holier then thou peoples, forced me to hire people based on their sexual orientation. They made gays/lesbian a minority group. So in a 'free' society I am forced to maintain a percentage of gays/lesbians not because they are qualified to do the job, no, just because they are 'normal'. - Now I do make homosexual my business.

kern
To the one drawing the line at consent. I can't argue against that. I hope for you, that where you draw the line our political correct will not find a way to make them 'normal' as well. For example, we do consume a tremendous amount of beef without the consent of the cow. What would be wrong to 'enjoy' some of their openings first?

Upvote 0

No gods

Buttercup Atheist
Apr 19, 2002
Visit site
✟1,173.00
Faith
Atheist
That changed when the gay and lesbians community started to preach they are just like me. And the political correct, our newest holier then thou peoples, forced me to hire people based on their sexual orientation. They made gays/lesbian a minority group. So in a 'free' society I am forced to maintain a percentage of gays/lesbians not because they are qualified to do the job, no, just because they are 'normal'. - Now I do make homosexual my business.

Help me out here, did I miss out on some new legislation that puts "quotas" on hiring gays/lesbians? As far as I know (and maybe I did miss something) you cannot discriminate on basis of sexual preference, religion, etc., but there is no law saying you have to have any specific ratio of gay to straight employees. When hiring someone, how or why do you know they are gay? Are you asking potential employees what their sexual preference is? Are you asking their religion?

Upvote 0

seebs

God Made Me A Skeptic
Apr 9, 2002
Saint Paul, MN
Visit site
✟55,225.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

I've never heard of anyone being forced to hire "based on" sexual orientation - merely forbidden to hire based on it, except in special cases.

Intelligence is an abnormality; by definition, most people are not exceptionally intelligent. Should we keep them out too?

You have given no reason to dislike gay people except that you don't like being told there's no reason to dislike them. This is circular at best.

kern
To the one drawing the line at consent. I can't argue against that. I hope for you, that where you draw the line our political correct will not find a way to make them 'normal' as well. For example, we do consume a tremendous amount of beef without the consent of the cow. What would be wrong to 'enjoy' some of their openings first?

If you want to, I'm not gonna stop you. I'm just going to think it's probably a bit sick.

This is a poor analogy at best on your part. What is your objection to people who have a loving relationship being allowed to do so?

Upvote 0

ScottEmerson

I Like Traffic Lights
May 9, 2002
Ocala, FL
✟682.00
Faith
Christian
Here I am!

Let's see... Is homosexuality wrong? I believe it is. But I also believe that it is wrong for the show Friends to be able to say "son of a" you know what on tv, and for them to be casually sleeping around and such.

Why is it that we get offended because of homosexuality, when many more "mainstream" shows give people the impression that other sins are okay, humourous, and not as bad as they really are?

Homosexuality is no different from lying, and I've been known to be guilty of that as well.

SEC, who by the way, still watches Friends... and even *gasp* Will and Grace, laughing hard at both shows.

Upvote 0

seebs

God Made Me A Skeptic
Apr 9, 2002
Saint Paul, MN
Visit site
✟55,225.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
While I'm not convinced at all that it's wrong, I end up agreeing with you either way; at this point, the degree of hostility and intolerance to gay *people* is so out of line with any justifiable response to the argued wrongness of gay *sex*... Preaching tolerance of gay people gets as a lot closer to where we're supposed to be, either way.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
What is this all about? This is making me sad. Killing is a sin-it says so in the Bible, so I teach my children NOT to accept it, that is wrong and it is "bad" for a lack of a better word right now because I am tired. I teach my children not to lie because God says "Thou shalt not lie" Therefore I teach my kids that being gay is wrong, because God says it's wrong.It is an abomination. A sin is a sin. To God there is no sin worse then the other, they all require repentance and forgiveness. I will not allow my children to watch something that promotes homosexuality. I have an Aunt who is gay, do I love her? YES. Do I want her to influence my kids? NO. Do I want my children to admire her and make her a role model and want to grow up and be like her? NO NO and NO.Yes, I do require that they show her respect, (just as I do anybody else...) Why? Because I want my children to be in Heaven with me. Being gay isn't a one time mistake that you just do once and ask God to forgive you, it's a lifestyle. It's a way of life. And I believe you cannot get into heaven leading that sort of lifestyle. You are choosing to do just as God has commanded you not to do.You are living it every day.

For anyone who is interested ,I am in a group called one in a million moms, and we take stands every day against companies who advertise their products, in commercials,during such programs as this, and against the stations themselves. http://www.onemillionmoms.com I have sent a letter to Nickelodeon. Before this thread even started, and I seriously am thinking about not watching the nickelodeon channel at all ,if this does indeed air on t.v. I'm sorry, I CAN NOT and WILL NOT support something ,anything that goes against my God and his teachings.Period.

You know, I can not change the world, I can not make it a better place for my kids and their kids and etc...but if enough people get off of their butts and stand up for what is right, regardless of what the world thinks or says, we can make a difference. I choose every day to live for Him.Above all else.

And THAT is what I will teach my children, and half the neighborhood kids who are at my house every day.

And thats' all I have to say bout that...

Good night all ! And Godbless us all!

Upvote 0

kern

Miserere Nobis
Apr 14, 2002
Florida, USA
Visit site
✟3,249.00
Faith
Catholic
According to snopes.com, at the moment there is nothing certain at all. They haven't even started taping yet (and are not announcing that they are even definitely making it). As usual, the religious right will succeed in bullying the media into submission. The most powerful minority in the US, it seems -- but only because they work off the fear of the common people who don't want to be perceived as non-religious (in this case they certainly have the aid of the extreme prejudice against homosexuals even among non-Christians). A sad state of affairs.

-Chris

Upvote 0

seebs

God Made Me A Skeptic
Apr 9, 2002
Saint Paul, MN
Visit site
✟55,225.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Being gay isn't a lifestyle; it's a physical quality of your body. What exactly is this "gay lifestyle"? The three gay people I know best are:

* A quiet guy who does accounting, plays organ and piano for a nearby church for peanuts, and writes beautiful poetry.

* A man who took vows of poverty and changed his name to show his devotion to God.

* A woman who is in seminary hoping to learn enough to be able to teach people about God's love for His creation.

Which part of this is the part that God will keep these people from heaven for? The accounting?

Upvote 0