Nickelodeon/homosexuality Controversy Heats Up!

Received

True love waits in haunted attics
Mar 21, 2002
Visit site
✟38,594.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I think the line of free speech and personal offense is totally impossible to draw. Everything an arrogant person does he thinks is right, and everything else is by all means incorrect. When you have a group on the side of heterosexuality and the other on homosexuality, both of which being arrogant as to their views, you have civil war. Pride always wants to come out on top, and when you have two of such a trade, you get nowhere but deeper into the pit. Thus, in my opinion, either t-shirts expressing pride on either side of the party would be wrong, simply because it is forcing itself into public in a haughty and ignorant manner: gays being offended by heterosexuals, and vice versa. Compassion is the only solution for imperfection.

Upvote 0
Originally posted by Brimshack
So Mallory, do you know for a fact that they allow Gay pride T-shirts in that school?

You could READ THE LINK and find out for yourself. :rolleyes:

Secondly, I notice that you didn't ansser my question about how you would interpret a white pride T-Shirt. My point is that these messages may be superficially equivalent, but in the context of actual politics the one tends to become a message of hate. It would be difficult to view a Gay pride T-Shirt as a message of hartred toward heterosexuals, but I seriously doubt that the student who wore the heterosexual pride T-shirt wasn't hoping to offend someone.

A black person wearing a black pride t-shirt would not be acceptable.

Upvote 0
Originally posted by Received
I think the line of free speech and personal offense is totally impossible to draw. Everything an arrogant person does he thinks is right, and everything else is by all means incorrect. When you have a group on the side of heterosexuality and the other on homosexuality, both of which being arrogant as to their views, you have civil war. Pride always wants to come out on top, and when you have two of such a trade, you get nowhere but deeper into the pit. Thus, in my opinion, either t-shirts expressing pride on either side of the party would be wrong, simply because it is forcing itself into public in a haughty and ignorant manner: gays being offended by heterosexuals, and vice versa. Compassion is the only solution for imperfection.

I don't believe that "personal offense" is an issue at all.

Upvote 0

Brimshack

Mar 23, 2002
Arizona
✟12,010.00
Faith
Atheist
Alright Mallory; I've got my questions about the source, but it looks like you found a genuine case of a double-standard in favor of homosexuals. I wish I had a nickel for every time the issue of special rights was used disingenuously, but this may not be one of them. Short of new information, I'm going to have to give you this one.

Upvote 0
Originally posted by Mallory Knox

If the gay kids can wear gay-pride t-shirts then the straight kids can wear striaght-pride t-shirts. That's equality. Letting gay kids wear gay-pride t-shirts and not letting straight kids wear straight-pride t-shirts is special rights.

"Straight Pride" pervades our culture.  It is the dominant paradigm and gay people encounter it everywhere.  Straight people don't need t-shirts because they are constantly affirmed in everything they do.

GLBT persons, particular Christians, constantly face ignorance and oppression.  Pride items and events are a way of making public, self-affirming statements - and have considerable value in that regard.

Joshua

Upvote 0

Sauron

Jun 14, 2002
Seattle
✟2,482.00
Originally posted by Brimshack
Alright Mallory; I've got my questions about the source, but it looks like you found a genuine case of a double-standard in favor of homosexuals. I wish I had a nickel for every time the issue of special rights was used disingenuously, but this may not be one of them. Short of new information, I'm going to have to give you this one.

Hi Brim,

You're right to question the source.  While it tells the truth, it doesn't tell *all* the truth.  The judge allowed the shirt, because the original reason for banning it was deemed invalid. That reason was because it interfered with good discipline and education. The judge further said that if that situation changed, and the shirt became the source of disruption, then the school could proceed to ban the shirt.

http://www.twincities.com/mld/twincities/living/education/3146637.htm

Upvote 0

coastie

Hallelujah Adonai Yeshua!
Apr 6, 2002
Central Valley of CA
Visit site
✟8,286.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
So wearing a "white pride" t-shirt is the same as wearing a "black pride" t-shirt, right?

Do you know who/what the Aryan Nations are?

If one is to be found racist, so should the other.

Yes I've heard of the Aryan nation... I live in Washington. It's evil and racist and it has no place in our society, along with any other racially discriminatory group.

Upvote 0

Brimshack

Mar 23, 2002
Arizona
✟12,010.00
Faith
Atheist
Good post CJosh, and that is precisely why the content of the shirts is not equivalent in meaning. Unfortunately natural languages are not formal logic systems and the apparent equivalence between the terms masks a very real difference in the actual impact. Courts do have the authority to take that into account.

Thanks for the info. Sauron.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums