Visit site
✟9,348.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Green
I've recently been accused of trying to be "nicer than God" by folks who have a more conservative view of our faith because I take the Word at less than face value, and therefore question the validity of some of the Scriptures and even pass over them as no longer applying in this day and age. (ergo homosexuality, stoning folks who eat shellfish, women pastors etc etc)

But I have to ask myself, is it possible to actually _be_ nicer than God? I don't think so. He is the most of the most, the best of the best, therefore the nicest of the nicest.

What a silly thing to accuse a person of. "You are tryin to be nicer than God" = "You are trying to be more loving than the most loving Being of all time."

Come to think of it, maybe it was a compliment? ;) *lol*

nadroj1985

A bittersweet truth: sum, ergo cogito
Dec 10, 2003
Lexington, KY
✟15,543.00
Faith
Atheist
Politics
US-Others
I think you're pretty nice GPV, but not that nice. Overall, you have your good points, but I think God is cooler ;)

I think what they are trying to say is that you are too accepting of others sins and are not as just in condemning them as God. I'm not saying I agree with them (I don't) but this is probably the position they are trying to defend--not that you are "nicer than God."

Upvote 0

mpshiel

Senior Veteran
Nov 22, 2003
I've been told "Sodom" so I guess that's close eno
Visit site
✟11,734.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
God is not only able but I believe sees each person, not as they are but at the fullest extent of thier potential. He knows what is wrong and hurtful and yet even to those who hate him, his judgement is, I really like you, I would die just for you. So, no, not nicer than God yet.

I can't say how to rise above it because any taunts make us question ourselves and are a way to make us less likely to open ourselves up. As goals go though, it is not a bad goal. I would much rather be known as "trying to be nicer than God" than as "wants to be more judgemental than God."

Reactions: PastorFreud
Upvote 0

Fideist

Nov 5, 2003
Visit site
✟458.00
GreenPartyVoter said:
But I have to ask myself, is it possible to actually _be_ nicer than God? I don't think so. He is the most of the most, the best of the best, therefore the nicest of the nicest.
I agree with you! :D My own view of God is that he is Infinitely Compassionate.

What a silly thing to accuse a person of. "You are tryin to be nicer than God" = "You are trying to be more loving than the most loving Being of all time."

Come to think of it, maybe it was a compliment? ;) *lol*
I'd take it as one - and a badge of honor! ;)

Upvote 0

GreenPartyVoter

Secrecy and Accountability Cannot Co-Exist
Feb 4, 2004
Maine
Visit site
✟9,348.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Green
Thanks guys! I'm so glad I can connect with folks who want to focus on God's love, compassion, and grace. You all boost my spirits so much! :hug:

I'm going to stick in this post a note I left on another board this morning, where I've been discussing the Borg book I am reading, so I can share it with you.

I had a lovely bedtime prayer with my boys last night. They are still little (4 and 6). Lately I have felt the need to give them hugs and kisses from God (I'm the stand-in, you see) because I want to make the concept of "He loves you" more real to them somehow. So now they have taken to sneaking up on me and giving me kisses from God as well. *l* And you know what? I think they really are from Him.

But last night, my guys grabbed my hands, tucked them between their faces and pillows and cuddled up to them as we had our prayer. And I just had the loveliest feeling as we prayed together. For once no one was fidgeting or talking, everyone seemed to be in the same place at the same moment and I just had such a lovely and warm feeling inside. Very much a moment of Grace.

They are so open to God and His love, my babies. It breaks my heart to think they could wind up struggling with all the rules and regulations one day because their father can't let go of them. But I won't borrow trouble on that count. We all have to grow, and no one can do that without some growing pains. If I prevented them from feeling those pains, then I would stop them growing too, which would hurt them far more in the long run.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

GreenPartyVoter

Secrecy and Accountability Cannot Co-Exist
Feb 4, 2004
Maine
Visit site
✟9,348.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Green
Does He Judge? Yes. Is that the be all end all of His being, His primary purpose and what he cherishes most? Debatable. (See the other thread in this forum, about Sinners in the Hands of an Angry God for more on that.)

Upvote 0

The Midge

Towel Bearer
Jun 25, 2003
UK
Visit site
✟11,951.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
"Nice" is one of those words that's meaning has changed over time at bit like "gay". The original meaning is "fastidiuos; respectable". Pratchette/ Gaiman used this a a device in their spoof of the end times book Good Omens: The Nice and Accurate Prophecies of Agnes Nutter, Witch. One of the running gags that the prophecies were nice in the strictest sense of the word and were neither pleasant or attractive in any way. Nice does not mean good.

Upvote 0

AdJesumPerMariam

To Jesus through Mary
Jan 26, 2004
At Home
Visit site
✟51,621.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I think the point is being missed here...God is Just, and Compassionate. God is the same yesterday, today, and tomorrow. You cannot take parts out of the Bible, and say they don't apply. Has everyone here kept the 10 commandments to the letter? If God was to judge you based on the 10 Commandments, would you be guilty or innocent?

Love-n-Blessings
dee

Upvote 0
dede10 said:
I think the point is being missed here...God is Just, and Compassionate. God is the same yesterday, today, and tomorrow. You cannot take parts out of the Bible, and say they don't apply. Has everyone here kept the 10 commandments to the letter? If God was to judge you based on the 10 Commandments, would you be guilty or innocent?

Love-n-Blessings
dee
I would be guilty. But, that is where we have to go to the discussion of me and Christ Jesus, who was judged (and found innocent, I might add) in my stead with regard to obedience to God's law.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

AdJesumPerMariam

To Jesus through Mary
Jan 26, 2004
At Home
Visit site
✟51,621.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Right! And if you have repented, you have turned away from your sin. So, if you were commiting adultry, then accepted Jesus as your Savior, and repented, you would stay away from adultry. That is not to say we will never sin again, but when we do, our conscience lets us know.

"who show the work of the law written in their hearts, their conscience also bearing witness, and between themselves their thoughts accusing or else excusing them) "Romans 2:15 NKJV

Love-n-Blessings
dee

Reactions: robl
Upvote 0

The Midge

Towel Bearer
Jun 25, 2003
UK
Visit site
✟11,951.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Assuming that repentence is a once and only once event. Continued repentence is turning round the complete opposite way you were oringinally going then continually reinorientating yourself God-ward like a compass needles seeks out north. There will be swings, wobbles and over correctionts but the desire is to pint in the right direction

Upvote 0

PastorFreud

Lie back on the couch.
Oct 25, 2002
✟6,612.00
Faith
Protestant
dede10 said:
I think the point is being missed here...God is Just, and Compassionate.
But what does that mean? Do you use Aristotle's definitions or biblical definitions?

God is the same yesterday, today, and tomorrow.
Doesn't seem to be. In fact, there are many texts about him changing his mind and so forth. Could it be that this one verse should be judged by the wealth of passages showing otherwise? Maybe God's character is unchanging, but his actions definitely vary.

You cannot take parts out of the Bible, and say they don't apply.
You better. Some passages were not meant to apply to everyone at every time in every situation. Drink a little wine for your stomach. Stone your children. etc.

Has everyone here kept the 10 commandments to the letter? If God was to judge you based on the 10 Commandments, would you be guilty or innocent?
Errrmmm.... this is relevant how? If Christ is the sacrifice for sin, then what needs to be judged? The law failed. The letter of the law failed even more.

Upvote 0

PastorFreud

Lie back on the couch.
Oct 25, 2002
✟6,612.00
Faith
Protestant
cbk said:
It is possible to be nicer than God IF you equate 'nicer' to your sense of judgement.

Will God allow Satan to live eternally in Heaven? No.

But, it is possible that one (or more) of us WOULD allow Satan to live eternally in Heaven! In this matter, you are being 'nicer' than God in your relationship to Satan. But, you are not being just in your position.
I don't have a relationship with Satan. If a mythical personality called Satan existed whose aim was to mess up everything he could, then I would definitely keep that Satan out of my heaven. But, then again, I wouldn't really want him on my earth either to mess it up.

Upvote 0

robl

Feb 7, 2004
Spokane, WA
✟733.00
Faith
Non-Denom
PastorFreud said:
I don't have a relationship with Satan. If a mythical personality called Satan existed whose aim was to mess up everything he could, then I would definitely keep that Satan out of my heaven. But, then again, I wouldn't really want him on my earth either to mess it up.
A "mythical personality"? Who was Jesus tempted by in the wilderness (Matt 4:1-11, Mark 1:13, Luke 4:1-13) ? Who was Jesus, Paul, Peter, James, John and Jude referring to when they all spoke of the devil and satan? :scratch:

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.