Visit site
✟611,327.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
  • Please not this is not about the filioque or the version of the Nicene Creed
  • It is also not about the position of the Creed in the Liturgy
Since the third council of the Toledo in 579 there has been widespread use of the Nicene Creed in the Eucharistic Liturgy of the Western Church. I don't have enough history of Eastern Liturgy, however I suspect it has been part of most Eastern Liturgies since a good deal earlier than that.

I went to a different parish Church on Sunday, and one of the things that I found unusual was the use of the Apostle Creed. This followed immediately on the heals of a sermon which had concluded with some statements about the importance of Christology.

I am aware that a number of contemporary RCC liturgies allow the use of the Apostles Creed in the Eucharist as an option, and RCC friends of mine suggest that it is regularly used as it is shorter.

The Apostles Creed has never been used (as far as I understand it) in the East, and I imagine that would see the use of anything other than the Creed of the 1st Council of Constantinople as being sub-standard.

I have had a long held view that the Nicene Creed is the Creed of the Eucharist, and the Apostles Creed is the Creed of the Office and also the Western Baptismal Symbol. As such I think not using the Nicene Creed in the Eucharistic Liturgy is going soft on the agreed Christology of the whole Church.

I am interested in what other people think.

RC1970

post tenebras lux
Jul 7, 2015
✟80,684.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Since the third council of the Toledo in 579 there has been widespread use of the Nicene Creed in the Eucharistic Liturgy of the Western Church. I don't have enough history of Eastern Liturgy, however I suspect it has been part of most Eastern Liturgies since a good deal earlier than that.

I went to a different parish Church on Sunday, and one of the things that I found unusual was the use of the Apostle Creed. This followed immediately on the heals of a sermon which had concluded with some statements about the importance of Christology.

I am aware that a number of contemporary RCC liturgies allow the use of the Apostles Creed in the Eucharist as an option, and RCC friends of mine suggest that it is regularly used as it is shorter.

The Apostles Creed has never been used (as far as I understand it) in the East, and I imagine that would see the use of anything other than the Creed of the 1st Council of Constantinople as being sub-standard.

I have had a long held view that the Nicene Creed is the Creed of the Eucharist, and the Apostles Creed is the Creed of the Office and also the Western Baptismal Symbol. As such I think not using the Nicene Creed in the Eucharistic Liturgy is going soft on the agreed Christology of the whole Church.

I would agree that the Nicene Creed or the Athanasian Creed have a higher Christology and should be used with a Eucharistic Liturgy.

I was raised RCC and converted to Lutheran and finally to Presbyterian. All of these use the higher Creeds.

Reactions: Philip_B
Upvote 0

Philip_B

Bread is Blessed & Broken Wine is Blessed & Poured
Site Supporter
Jul 12, 2016
Swansea, NSW, Australia
Visit site
✟611,327.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
What statements?
Sorry, the sermon which followed the Gospel, addressed a range of issues. Perhaps the last three minutes of which reminded the congregation that out faith in Jesus, who was both man and God, had brought us to this point, where we come together for worship and then go forward rejoicing in the power of the Risen Lord to proclaim to all the world that Jesus Christ is Lord. I don't have a copy of the sermon so I can not provide specifics but only what I recall of it. I thought it was not to bad a lead in to the Nicene Creed, and was surprised to discover it led to the Apostles Creed, in keeping with the western tradition since the Synod of Friuli in 796 in a position before the Sursumcorda and after the Gospel.

Upvote 0

Paul Yohannan

Mar 24, 2016
Old Route 66
✟34,744.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Republican
Sorry, the sermon which followed the Gospel, addressed a range of issues. Perhaps the last three minutes of which reminded the congregation that out faith in Jesus, who was both man and God, had brought us to this point, where we come together for worship and then go forward rejoicing in the power of the Risen Lord to proclaim to all the world that Jesus Christ is Lord. I don't have a copy of the sermon so I can not provide specifics but only what I recall of it. I thought it was not to bad a lead in to the Nicene Creed, and was surprised to discover it led to the Apostles Creed, in keeping with the western tradition since the Synod of Friuli in 796 in a position before the Sursumcorda and after the Gospel.

Oh well that was a liturgical fail then.

Upvote 0

Philip_B

Bread is Blessed & Broken Wine is Blessed & Poured
Site Supporter
Jul 12, 2016
Swansea, NSW, Australia
Visit site
✟611,327.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Well, Emergent Protestants prefer the apostles creed because they think it has more obscure, vintage cred and can be interpreted more widely. Branding purposes, in other words.
It concerns me that it is the only Creed which can be read with an Arian interpretation.

• Agree
Reactions: Shane R
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
People spin the Nicene Creed all SORTS of ways. Of course, they have to reinterpret words or deny parts, usually, but it certainly happens.

I try to be understanding though. I for one was brought up with (several) variant interpretation(s) of the doctrines in the Nicene Creed (but not given the Creed itself), and just like Scripture, if you are taught a thing, you tend to see what agrees with what you were taught. Someone else taught differently will of course read the SAME passage, have a completely different interpretation, and BOTH of them will insist they are saying what the Scripture "plainly says". i know, because I used to do the same thing. Thankfully I got frustrated enough with those "inconvenient" passages that didn't agree with what I believed ... if I was completely honest with myself.

Upvote 0

Shane R

Priest
Site Supporter
Jan 18, 2012
Southeast Ohio
✟566,860.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Widowed
I have seen many a 'confessional' Lutheran church (a buzz-word for those churches which eschew contemporary worship and practice some form of restricted communion, as well as taking the Lutheran confessions seriously) reciting the Apostle's Creed at eucharistic liturgies. I note that in the American BCP, at least the 1928, there is no such provision. The Nicene Creed may be said in the daily office, but the Apostle's Creed never goes into Holy Communion. And the Athanasian Creed is prescribed several times a year (in the offices), but few parishes ever hear it anymore - because the offices are uncommon as a corporate form of worship.

Upvote 0

Tangible

Decision Theology = Ex Opere Operato
May 29, 2009
cruce tectum
Visit site
✟59,743.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
As a Confessional Lutheran, I can say that the Nicene Creed is the creed that should be used during the Divine Service (including the Service of the Sacrament). Semi-weekly or bi-monthly services that incorporate the sacrament one week but not the next are still fairly common, at least in the LCMS, unfortunately. My church only has Communion on the 2nd and 4th Sundays, and has a "blended" service the other weeks with no Communion offered except at the small evening service. The Apostle's Creed is used in the liturgy of these services. Other LCMS churches use the service of Matins on the "off Sundays".

The trend, however, is to move toward weekly Communion, as the younger, more Confessional pastors gradually replace the previous generation. The Nicene Creed is used in every official liturgy of the Divine Service.

Looking at this from and Anglican point of view, Lutherans do tend to vary their liturgies more than Anglicans would. I've heard it said that Lutherans are bound together primarily by doctrinal uniformity, while Anglicans are bound together primarily by liturgical uniformity.

• Agree
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

MarkRohfrietsch

Unapologetic Apologist
Site Supporter
Dec 8, 2007
✟828,231.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married

Hi Philip,

Not sure if this remains to be the case, but Catholicism in Canada, the Apostles was the norm, and was endorsed as the "Canadian Usage".

I still ask myself "why?".

Upvote 0

Paidiske

Clara bonam audax
Site Supporter
Apr 25, 2016
Albury, Australia
Visit site
✟1,506,242.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Honestly, I think the fight we're losing is not about which Creed but about use of a Creed at all. I've heard many clergy argue against it as boring or repetitive of other elements of the liturgy, wanting to use other statements of faith or none at all to keep things "fresh." Thee are plenty of parishes where it isn't used, or isn't always used when it should be (in Australian Anglican churches it's mandated for Sunday Eucharist but not for weekday Eucharists).

I think we have our work cut out for us teaching about why it is important, not just conceptually but liturgically.

Upvote 0

All4Christ

✙ The Handmaid of God Laura ✙
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
Mar 11, 2003
PA
Visit site
✟1,021,660.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Honestly, I think the fight we're losing is not about which Creed but about use of a Creed at all. I've heard many clergy argue against it as boring or repetitive of other elements of the liturgy, wanting to use other statements of faith or none at all to keep things "fresh." Thee are plenty of parishes where it isn't used, or isn't always used when it should be (in Australian Anglican churches it's mandated for Sunday Eucharist but not for weekday Eucharists).

I think we have our work cut out for us teaching about why it is important, not just conceptually but liturgically.
That's sad to hear. One of the things I appreciate most about the liturgical churches is the use of common creeds proclaimed by the entire church each service.

Upvote 0

Paul Yohannan

Mar 24, 2016
Old Route 66
✟34,744.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Republican

There is a deceased ECUSA priest from Southern California, a Fr. Bucher, who advocated deleting the Creeds from the liturgy and quoted the Gnostic "Gospel of Mary" in support of his position.

This I found to be amusing in a sort of tragicomic way, in that it struck me as being the best possible argument for keeping the creeds.

• Winner
Upvote 0