✟12,536.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Hi everyone,

When my son was born by c-section I learned that part of my uterus is dangerously thin, and had been damaged during labor (which is why I had to have the c-section--I had lost too much blood from the defect). Anyway, what that means for us is that we need to wait a while (2 years or so) before having another.

So, we're looking into NFP as really the only option available for us. I read through CCL's stuff, and they seem to be the most knowledgable, but I'm told we would be given a hard time because we're not "crunchy" enough, like I work part time, the baby is on dietary supplements, etc.

Does anyone know of a good NFP organization besides CCL? Preferably one with representatives in Kentucky or southern Ohio? We could get a book, and I'm open to book suggestions as well, but my husband isn't a reader and would understand more if he talks to someone, probably.

Thanks!

3toraiseup

Kati
Apr 2, 2004
Arizona
✟1,886.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
but I'm told we would be given a hard time because we're not "crunchy" enough, like I work part time, the baby is on dietary supplements, etc.

I disagree with this prediction. The CCLI instructors I have met are just thrilled that people want to learn, there is no disdain or judgement of people. In fact, you can order the book and learn without ever going to a class.

I prefer sympto-thermal over Billings for three reasons: first, it allows for less days of abstinance. Second, it has a slightly higher effectiveness rate and third... especially for post-partum cycles you don't have to rely soley on mucus which can be irregular and difficult to interpret while hormone levels are returning to normal.

Upvote 0

DivineFiliation

Dyslexics of the world untie!
Mar 29, 2004
✟4,208.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I purchased a book a few months ago titled, "Taking Charge of Your Fertility." It basically was a reiteration of my NFP book, but did have a few more things that interested me. Anyway, in the back there is an index that lists agencies/companies/orgs that are like CCLI that could help.
Check it out at your library or book store. It's about 2 inches thick. Flowery cover.

Upvote 0

EllenMoran

Lord, I believe, help my unbelief
Mar 16, 2004
Cincinnati, OH
✟9,524.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I read through CCL's stuff, and they seem to be the most knowledgable, but I'm told we would be given a hard time because we're not "crunchy" enough, like I work part time, the baby is on dietary supplements, etc.

This is a rumor, not fact. I learned NFP through CCL in the same region you are looking at (took classes at St. Elizabeth's in northern KY). The couple teaching our class were both scientists, and we had a mix of married & engaged couples in the class, some with kids and some without. I do know that they are updating their materials (ready next year), but it doesn't fundamentally change the method, so you are fine to start classes soon.

The book provided through CCL - The Art of NFP (TAONFP) - I find to be best for those with serious need to avoid. Taking Charge of Your Fertility (TCOYF) can be a good supplement (for example, I prefer the detail on mucus in TCOYF), but I find the temperature shift (infertile time) qualification methods to be less rigorous than TAONFP, so I recommend CCL/TAONFP's method for determining the infertile time over that of TCOYF.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

ufonium2

Seriously, stop killing kids.
Nov 2, 2003
Visit site
✟12,536.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
What do you mean by "crunchy?"

Into organics, long-term breastfeeding, homeschooling, stay-at-home moms, etc. There's nothing wrong with those things, but in our situation they're just not practical. My son was failing to thrive despite almost constant breastfeeding, yet our lactation consultant made me feel horrible for following doctor's orders and supplementing. I don't want to go through that again when learning NFP, so I'm trying to make sure we don't get teachers who will tell us we wouldn't have to worry about NFP if I loved this baby enough to breast feed exclusively.

Upvote 0

EllenMoran

Lord, I believe, help my unbelief
Mar 16, 2004
Cincinnati, OH
✟9,524.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
ufonium, did you read my post? I don't think there's too many of those teachers around this region. There is a section on EBF, but it's one of the later classes and IIRC it's really more of a "here's what to look for as fertility returns" angle. If you are in my area (SW Ohio/N Ky), I can look up the names & contact information for our instructors. I think you'd like them, and they are definitely not the type to guilt-trip you about doing the best thing to ensure that your child was, you know, eating something. Good grief, I can't believe that LC was so rude to you!

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.