Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
Every time I hear or read the word harangue I feel like I can taste lemons just before I recall that episode of Looney Tunes where Bugs splats Fudd in the face with numerous pies.

I have somewhat less sympathy to muster for Crenshaw than I would like. I remember full well his record with respect to gun control mere months ago.

Still, sad to see Snake get framed by the Patriots yet again.

Upvote 0

Ana the Ist

Aggressively serene!
Feb 21, 2012
✟437,300.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married

Good for him for taking this criticism with more politeness than it deserved. This is the laughable part...

"We’re standing up for our democracy and holding Trump's cronies accountable."

Since when does yelling at someone you disagree with = holding them accountable?

Modern protesting has become a joke.

Upvote 0

hislegacy

Memories pre 2021
Site Supporter
Nov 15, 2006
Broken Arrow, OK
✟702,096.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I didn't see the smear you claim is there. The video shows exactly what was reported.

From the link:

They berated Crenshaw tediously in this vein for several minutes, even after he allowed a few of them to ride down with him in the “members only” elevator. Let's pause here to remember that Newsweek accused Crenshaw explicitly of trying to hide in an elevator — inviting the protesters to ride along with him is a funny way of "hiding." The activists continued to implore the congressman to do his “duty” and eventually gave up as he went on his way. That is the entire interaction.

• Winner
Reactions: brinny
Upvote 0

mothcorrupteth

Old Whig Monarchist, Classically Realpolitik
Jun 3, 2017
Huntsville, AL
✟42,344.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
From the link:

They berated Crenshaw tediously in this vein for several minutes, even after he allowed a few of them to ride down with him in the “members only” elevator. Let's pause here to remember that Newsweek accused Crenshaw explicitly of trying to hide in an elevator — inviting the protesters to ride along with him is a funny way of "hiding." The activists continued to implore the congressman to do his “duty” and eventually gave up as he went on his way. That is the entire interaction.
It wasn't as explicit as the article makes it out to be, and he was trying to ditch them with the "member's only" talk, but it's a stretch to call that "hiding." He pushed the button with the guy already in the lift, and he tolerated them forcing a ride with him, despite how rude it was for them to do so. Then there's the clear jump cut once the rest of the crew forced their way onto the elevator and he starts pointing out the hypocrisy of how they claimed they wanted a conversation but really just wanted to film him ignoring their aggressive questions. The whole time, he never shows any stress on his face. (Why would he? He looks like he still stays in shape, and I can't say that for his interrogators.)

• Agree
Upvote 0

childeye 2

Aug 18, 2018
Denver CO
✟203,538.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
From the link:

I didn't see Crenshaw hiding and I didn't see Crenshaw inviting them into the elevator.

This is what I saw: Crenshaw told them they couldn't ride down with him, pointing out that the elevator was for members only, which was probably why it was described as trying to hide in an elevator. Regardless, those guys stepped in and would not get out of the elevator despite being told repeatedly it was for members only. Obviously a video was being made and it looks like Crenshaw wanted to avoid a spectacle, so he just let it go.

In fact that was a rather harmless event compared to many I have seen. This is the reality people deal with and it seems to me that both Crenshaw and the protestors did a good job of handling a confrontational situation.

These things happen all the time to members of congress as is to be expected. They will be characterized on different news networks differently.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

DaisyDay

I Did Nothing Wrong!! ~~Team Deep State
Jan 7, 2003
Finger Lakes
✟12,354.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The story doesn't link to Newsweek at all - even within the article. The Examiner (!) only links to itself, Twitter, HotAir and Veteran's For Impeachment - but not to the story it's critiquing. Weird.

Upvote 0

FreeinChrist

CF Advisory team
Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Jul 2, 2003
USA
✟1,750,453.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Upvote 0

hislegacy

Memories pre 2021
Site Supporter
Nov 15, 2006
Broken Arrow, OK
✟702,096.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Since that is the subject of the thread, figured it should be linked here.

Helpful as always. Many thanks

How is inviting the men to ride with him trying to hide?

Thanks

Upvote 0

hislegacy

Memories pre 2021
Site Supporter
Nov 15, 2006
Broken Arrow, OK
✟702,096.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
From the link:

The congressman attempted to close the elevator door with Hurd still inside, but Pitts quickly reopened it. Crenshaw then left the elevator without riding it and stormed away.

Watching the video shows that to be a complete fabrication.

Along with the number of times Mr, Crenshaw attempted to have an actual conversation with the man, who just kept repeating the accusations over and over.

Last edited:
  • Winner
Upvote 0

FreeinChrist

CF Advisory team
Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Jul 2, 2003
USA
✟1,750,453.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Did he try to hide?
Did he invite the men into the elevator? From the Newsweek article:

When the elevator arrived, Hurd attempted to enter with Crenshaw. "No, this is a members-only elevator," the congressman told the veteran, who shot back, "You're not going to let a fellow veteran in the elevator?"

"You got to make your video. You didn't come here to have a conversation," Crenshaw said as he held the elevator open and gestured for Hurd to leave. "As veterans we should be smarter about how we talk about things."​

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

FreeinChrist

CF Advisory team
Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Jul 2, 2003
USA
✟1,750,453.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
The video clip in the OP article shows Crenshaw saying this is a "Membership only" elevator, and while he initially was going to let the door close (thus remove the camera), one of the vets opened it, and so Crenshaw left.

Whether he was trying to hide is debatable. Going into that particular elevator was a way to get away from the camera, if not one of the vets.

Upvote 0

hislegacy

Memories pre 2021
Site Supporter
Nov 15, 2006
Broken Arrow, OK
✟702,096.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Whether he was trying to hide is debatable. Going into that particular elevator was a way to get away from the camera, if not one of the vets.

Going to the elevator that he enters and leaves the building is an every day event.

Trying to hide is a laughable statement

He is a decorated combat veteran, which was never mentioned in Newsweek.

The man was not having a conversation, he was hurling accusations almost to the point of shrieking at the Congressman. That is why he was told repeatedly to calm down.

• Winner
Upvote 0

FreeinChrist

CF Advisory team
Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Jul 2, 2003
USA
✟1,750,453.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
He didn't invite the men in like you said and like the biased OP article said:

They berated Crenshaw tediously in this vein for several minutes, even after he allowed a few of them to ride down with him in the “members only” elevator. Let's pause here to remember that Newsweek accused Crenshaw explicitly of trying to hide in an elevator — inviting the protesters to ride along with him is a funny way of "hiding."​

The video did not show him inviting "a few of them" or even one to ride down. Crenshaw pointed out it was a "membership only" elevator. So what I see is one biased news source claiming bias in another source.

In using that elevator, he could have evaded the men. He should have been able to. However, the men were aggressive in confronting him.

Upvote 0

hislegacy

Memories pre 2021
Site Supporter
Nov 15, 2006
Broken Arrow, OK
✟702,096.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Did he try to hide?

For me to believe the Newsweek article, which the video disproves, I have to believe that Dan Crenshaw a man who;

Served 10 years as a Navy Seal
Rose to the rank of Lieutenant Commander
Was deployed five times
Who, after loosing his right eye to an IED explosion where he needed surgery to save the left eye deployed two more times.

You and Newsweek wants me to believe that a man could do all that, yet now is afraid of, hides from, runs from a guy yelling things at him?

• Winner
Upvote 0

FreeinChrist

CF Advisory team
Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Jul 2, 2003
USA
✟1,750,453.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
The video didn't disprove Newsweek article. Looking at the video, it is obvious he did not invite them onto the elevator and in fact, told them they could not be on it.

It also looks like he did a time honored tradition of avoiding the two vets, one with a camera, by going onto an elevator they could not use. It is like when folks step into a bathroom or a staff only room.
I don't think he was afraid of them, but it seems he did not like being filmed by them.

He is a pretty honorable guy. Whether he was 'hiding' is up to interpretation.

• Informative
Reactions: DaisyDay
Upvote 0