NEWSThe 9 Discarded Ballots Were Tossed Because Republicans Won Their Lawsuit Requiring Them to Not

tulc

loves "SO'S YER MOM!! posts!
May 18, 2002
✟271,570.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
full headlines:
The 9 Discarded Ballots Were Tossed Because Republicans Won Their Lawsuit Requiring Them to Not Be Counted: Report

The 9 Discarded Ballots Were Tossed Because Republicans Won Their Lawsuit Requiring Them to Not Be Counted: Report
Here’s what appears to have happened, and we’re going to bullet point this so it’s easy to follow.
  • The ballots were discarded by a temporary, or “contract” worker assigned to sort the mail who appears to have been following direction.
  • They ballots were military ballots, not absentee or other by-mail ballots.
  • The county immediately reported what happened to federal officials, who appear to have immediately politicized the issue.
  • “Because these ballots were returned in envelopes similar to absentee ballot requests, elections officials opened them,” The Washington Post reports. “If the ballots weren’t then enclosed in another envelope which shielded the actual vote being cast, they may have been considered ‘naked ballots,’ a term used to describe mail ballots returned without the voter’s intent being protected.
  • The Trump campaign and the Pennsylvania GOP in a lawsuit argued that “naked ballots” should not be counted. They won that lawsuit. These nine ballots appear to be “naked ballots,” and that appears to be the reason they were thrown out.
tulc(thinks...this is awkward) :sorry:

• Informative
Reactions: Hank77

tulc

May 18, 2002
✟271,570.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I can't read the Washington Post article since I'm not subscribed to them. How did they know they were "naked ballots?"
I only learned of this today, and only saw headlines.
Try here:
Feds, In Unusual Statement, Announce They're Investigating A Few Discarded Ballots
According to a letter from U.S. Attorney Freed to the county elections director, the inquiry into Luzerne County's ballot handling began Monday and found that nine military ballots had been "improperly opened" by elections staff and "discarded."

He wrote that "the majority" of the recovered ballots and envelopes were found in an outside dumpster — seven of the nine ballots outside their official envelopes, and two that elections staff had apparently recovered and sealed back in their envelopes. He said investigators also found four "apparently official" absentee ballot envelopes that were empty.

All of the ballots found outside envelopes were cast for Trump, Freed's letter said; it's unknown who two sealed ones are for.

Pennsylvania law dictates all mail ballots — military or otherwise — be securely stored until processing can begin. In the commonwealth, that's not until 7 a.m. on Election Day.

Based on interviews, however, Freed said investigators had concluded that all the envelopes — likely a very small number — that had been received by the Luzerne County Board of Elections were opened "as a matter of course."

Workers, he wrote, explained that the envelopes used for mail ballot requests were so similar to the ones used for returned mail ballots that they believed they would miss requests if they preserved all the envelopes unopened.

"Even though your staff has made some attempts to reconstitute certain of the improperly opened ballots, there is no guarantee that any of these votes will be counted in the general election," he said.
tulc(hopes that helps) :wave:

Upvote 0

hislegacy

Memories pre 2021
Site Supporter
Nov 15, 2006
Broken Arrow, OK
✟699,426.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
LOL

• Overall, we rate The New Civil Rights Movement far Left Biased based on the use of loaded emotional language and editorial positions that favor the progressive left. We also rate them Mixed for factual reporting due to the use of poor sources as well as a few failed fact checks.
Did anyone expect a far left source that has failed fact checks to accurately report something on the President?

hislegacy hopes that help people understand the motivation behind the article linked in the OP

And factual reporting is not one they are noted for.

Reactions: Arc F1
Upvote 0

tulc

May 18, 2002
✟271,570.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
LOL

• Overall, we rate The New Civil Rights Movement far Left Biased based on the use of loaded emotional language and editorial positions that favor the progressive left. We also rate them Mixed for factual reporting due to the use of poor sources as well as a few failed fact checks.
Did anyone expect a far left source that has failed fact checks to accurately report something on the President?

hislegacy hopes that help people understand the motivation behind the article linked in the OP

...and I hope people notice the NPR link I supplied came to the same conclusion as the OP. Or people could just fall for the usual ad hominem fallacy that attacks the source and not the facts.
tulc(just a thought)

Upvote 0

Hank77

Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2015
✟1,106,853.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I can't read the Washington Post article since I'm not subscribed to them. How did they know they were "naked ballots?"
I only learned of this today, and only saw headlines.
They knew they were 'naked' because...see blue hi-lite below...from the OP

Here’s what appears to have happened, and we’re going to bullet point this so it’s easy to follow.
  • The ballots were discarded by a temporary, or “contract” worker assigned to sort the mail who appears to have been following direction.
  • The county immediately reported what happened to federal officials, who appear to have immediately politicized the issue.
  • “Because these ballots were returned in envelopes similar to absentee ballot requests, elections officials opened them,” The Washington Post reports. “If the ballots weren’t then enclosed in another envelope which shielded the actual vote being cast, they may have been considered ‘naked ballots,’ a term used to describe mail ballots returned without the voter’s intent being protected.
  • The Trump campaign and the Pennsylvania GOP in a lawsuit argued that “naked ballots” should not be counted. They won that lawsuit. These nine ballots appear to be “naked ballots,” and that appears to be the reason they were thrown out.

Upvote 0

Under One King

Jul 14, 2020
The Shadowlands
✟28,658.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
They knew they were 'naked' because...see blue hi-lite below...from the OP

Yes, I was just wondering how they knew that was the case, or if it was just a guess.

Upvote 0

Hank77

Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2015
✟1,106,853.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Yes, I was just wondering how they knew that was the case, or if it was just a guess.
I think it's more than a guess because of the way it's worded. I can't read the whole article either which likely has more details. But this wording...

"Here’s what appears to have happened, and we’re going to bullet point this so it’s easy to follow."

Upvote 0

Under One King

Jul 14, 2020
The Shadowlands
✟28,658.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I think it's more than a guess because of the way it's worded. I can't read the whole article either which likely has more details. But this wording...

"Here’s what appears to have happened, and we’re going to bullet point this so it’s easy to follow."
I know that's what it would appear, I'm just wondering if they know for sure that is the case.

Upvote 0

Tom 1

Optimistic sceptic
Site Supporter
Nov 13, 2017
Tarnaveni
✟818,769.00
Country
Romania
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
LOL

Don’t be silly, respond to facts. What is the information, why is it wrong, what are your specific, fact-based reasons for thinking it is wrong.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Tom 1

Optimistic sceptic
Site Supporter
Nov 13, 2017
Tarnaveni
✟818,769.00
Country
Romania
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I know that's what it would appear, I'm just wondering if they know for sure that is the case.

Do you mean like if there were some sort of mystical invisible envelopes they can’t see, or something like that?

The GOP has insisted in some states that mail in votes must be in an envelope inside another envelope, potentially nullifying around 100,000 votes that were mailed in as voters states had been advised this rule would be relaxed. Under this rule, if the mailed in vote is opened and the ballot inside is not in a second envelope, it is to be discarded. But I’m sure your sources will find some way of spinning this into a deep state plot.

Upvote 0

hislegacy

Memories pre 2021
Site Supporter
Nov 15, 2006
Broken Arrow, OK
✟699,426.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
...and I hope people notice the NPR link I supplied came to the same conclusion as the OP. Or people could just fall for the usual ad hominem fallacy that attacks the source and not the facts.
tulc(just a thought)

Here’s another thought, if you want your post to be taken seriously your main citation should not be from a far left site. Or for that matter far right.

Most people when they see your main link is nothing more than propaganda never move beyond that

Upvote 0

Under One King

Jul 14, 2020
The Shadowlands
✟28,658.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Do you mean like if there were some sort of mystical invisible envelopes they can’t see, or something like that?
No, don't be silly. I'm just wondering if they know for sure that what they are saying is the case.

Upvote 0

JimR-OCDS

God Cannot Be Grasped, Except Through Love
Oct 28, 2008
The Kingdom of Heaven
Visit site
✟186,956.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
When did they start requiring a difference between absentee ballots and military ballots ?

In the 2000 election, there were only absentee ballots and no one knew if they came from the military or from other voters.

It seems that identifying them as military ballots, opens the door for shady manipulation.

Upvote 0

Tom 1

Optimistic sceptic
Site Supporter
Nov 13, 2017
Tarnaveni
✟818,769.00
Country
Romania
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
No, don't be silly. I'm just wondering if they know for sure that what they are saying is the case.

The ballots were either in double envelopes, or not. There’s no third option to provide some kind of conspiracy foothold, although a lack of facts never prevents some idiocy from surfacing.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Under One King

Jul 14, 2020
The Shadowlands
✟28,658.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
The ballots were either in double envelopes, or not. There’s no third option to provide some kind of conspiracy foothold, although a lack of facts never prevents some idiocy from surfacing.
No ones answering the question. How do they know they were not in double envelopes, or whatever? It just seems like they don't know for sure, and they are pushing this as fact.

• Agree
Upvote 0

Tom 1

Optimistic sceptic
Site Supporter
Nov 13, 2017
Tarnaveni
✟818,769.00
Country
Romania
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
When did they start requiring a difference between absentee ballots and military ballots ?

In the 2000 election, there were only absentee ballots and no one knew if they came from the military or from other voters.

It seems that identifying them as military ballots, opens the door for shady manipulation.

In 2000 ballots sent from overseas were in envelopes with US postmarks? What are you basing that on? The GOP rule requires ballots to be in a sealed envelope, inside a second envelope, the military envelopes were treated according to this rule, along with the civilian ballots, that is the issue. The GOP, doing all they can to prevent legal ballots from being counted, appear to have shot themselves in the foot.

Upvote 0

Tom 1

Optimistic sceptic
Site Supporter
Nov 13, 2017
Tarnaveni
✟818,769.00
Country
Romania
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
No ones answering the question. How do they know they were not in double envelopes, or whatever? It just seems like they don't know for sure, and they are pushing this as fact.

‘It seems like’ - based on what?

Upvote 0

Tom 1

Optimistic sceptic
Site Supporter
Nov 13, 2017
Tarnaveni
✟818,769.00
Country
Romania
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

I’ll try and make it clear:

The first envelope is opened. That is the GOP rule. Until the first envelope is opened, whether or not the ballot is in a second envelope is unknown. If it is sealed in an envelope, then it is included in the count, if not, it is discarded. Ergo opening the envelope reveals whether or not a second envelope has been used. This does not leave a third possibility whereby opening the third envelope somehow leaves the question of whether or not a second envelope was used unanswered, unless perhaps they were opened by a blind person who was unable to tell by touch alone if the ballot was in a second envelope.

2 of the 9 discarded votes were apparently sealed, why those were discarded is unknown but presumably the investigation will lead to some conclusion about that.

Upvote 0