Central Ohio
✟60,248.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Why would God tell people to do something or not do something, and then turn around and make them do what He didn't want them to do?

We do them because Christ commanded us to do them. It is up to God to do what He wills to do. We are to use ALL of our spiritual gifts to help others around us.

Upvote 0

SUNSTONE

Christian Warrior
Sep 2, 2002
Cocoa Village
Visit site
✟18,200.00
Faith
Non-Denom
We do them because Christ commanded us to do them. It is up to God to do what He wills to do. We are to use ALL of our spiritual gifts to help others around us.

You didn't answer the question.

Do you believe that God controls everything?
If so, then why would God tell people to do something, and then turn around and make them do the opposite?

Upvote 0

pinetree

Mar 17, 2008
USA
✟13,825.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I think your name fits you pinetree.
Because like trees, you sit there and don't do anything. :p
speaking of sitting...;):D:p

pkr_table.jpg

Reactions: Alpine
Upvote 0

JimfromOhio

Life of Trials :)
Feb 7, 2004
Central Ohio
✟60,248.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
You didn't answer the question.

Do you believe that God controls everything?
If so, then why would God tell people to do something, and then turn around and make them do the opposite?
All creatures are subject to the Creator's control and authority however. God is in control in all of His creatures activities even though they are "slave to sin". Sovereign is complete control by God, in all circumstances including our own lives. Jesus said "Are not two sparrows sold for a copper coin? And not one of them falls to the ground apart from your Father's will. But the very hairs of your head are all numbered." (Matthew 10:29-30) If God can control with those two sparrows, then He will do the same for His creatures around the world including Satan. This is the concept of Romans 8:28-29 "And we know that God causes everything to work together for the good of those who love God and are called according to his purpose for them." God governs (controls) the world (Isa. 40:22-24), the nations (Isa. 40:15-17), and us (Proverbs 16:9). I cannot and will NOT dispute God's word how He manages this world.

Proverbs 16:9 We can make our plans, but the LORD determines our steps.

Proverbs 20:24 A man's steps are directed by the LORD. How then can anyone understand his own way?

Proverbs 21:1 The king's heart is in the hand of the LORD; he directs it like a watercourse wherever he pleases.

Jeremiah 10:23 I know, O LORD, that a man's life is not his own; it is not for man to direct his steps.

We all need to understand Paul's Statement to the leaders in Acts 17:
22Paul then stood up in the meeting of the Areopagus and said: "Men of Athens! I see that in every way you are very religious. 23For as I walked around and looked carefully at your objects of worship, I even found an altar with this inscription: TO AN UNKNOWN GOD. Now what you worship as something unknown I am going to proclaim to you.

24"The God who made the world and everything in it is the Lord of heaven and earth and does not live in temples built by hands. 25And he is not served by human hands, as if he needed anything, because he himself gives all men life and breath and everything else. 26From one man he made every nation of men, that they should inhabit the whole earth; and he determined the times set for them and the exact places where they should live. 27God did this so that men would seek him and perhaps reach out for him and find him, though he is not far from each one of us. 28'For in him we live and move and have our being.' As some of your own poets have said, 'We are his offspring.' 29"Therefore since we are God's offspring, we should not think that the divine being is like gold or silver or stone—an image made by man's design and skill. 30In the past God overlooked such ignorance, but now he commands all people everywhere to repent. 31For he has set a day when he will judge the world with justice by the man he has appointed. He has given proof of this to all men by raising him from the dead."

Upvote 0

Questioning Christian

Sep 7, 2004
✟8,589.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I wonder if Asaph secretly came back as Sunstone ^_^ , because with Asaph, he didn't even care about whatever the subject was - he just wanted to get someone mad at him, so he could get a rise out of them - by any means necessary!

Reactions: pinetree
Upvote 0

pinetree

Mar 17, 2008
USA
✟13,825.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I wonder if Asaph secretly came back as Sunstone ^_^ , because with Asaph, he didn't even care about whatever the subject was - he just wanted to get someone mad at him, so he could get a rise out of them - by any means necessary!
yup,he needs a new mo..lol...:D:thumbsup:

Upvote 0

SUNSTONE

Christian Warrior
Sep 2, 2002
Cocoa Village
Visit site
✟18,200.00
Faith
Non-Denom
All creatures are subject to the Creator's control and authority however. God is in control in all of His creatures activities even though they are "slave to sin". Sovereign is complete control by God, in all circumstances including our own lives. Jesus said "Are not two sparrows sold for a copper coin? And not one of them falls to the ground apart from your Father's will. But the very hairs of your head are all numbered." (Matthew 10:29-30) If God can control with those two sparrows, then He will do the same for His creatures around the world including Satan. This is the concept of Romans 8:28-29 "And we know that God causes everything to work together for the good of those who love God and are called according to his purpose for them." God governs (controls) the world (Isa. 40:22-24), the nations (Isa. 40:15-17), and us (Proverbs 16:9). I cannot and will NOT dispute God's word how He manages this world.

Proverbs 16:9 We can make our plans, but the LORD determines our steps.

Proverbs 20:24 A man's steps are directed by the LORD. How then can anyone understand his own way?

Proverbs 21:1 The king's heart is in the hand of the LORD; he directs it like a watercourse wherever he pleases.

Jeremiah 10:23 I know, O LORD, that a man's life is not his own; it is not for man to direct his steps.

We all need to understand Paul's Statement to the leaders in Acts 17:
22Paul then stood up in the meeting of the Areopagus and said: "Men of Athens! I see that in every way you are very religious. 23For as I walked around and looked carefully at your objects of worship, I even found an altar with this inscription: TO AN UNKNOWN GOD. Now what you worship as something unknown I am going to proclaim to you.

24"The God who made the world and everything in it is the Lord of heaven and earth and does not live in temples built by hands. 25And he is not served by human hands, as if he needed anything, because he himself gives all men life and breath and everything else. 26From one man he made every nation of men, that they should inhabit the whole earth; and he determined the times set for them and the exact places where they should live. 27God did this so that men would seek him and perhaps reach out for him and find him, though he is not far from each one of us. 28'For in him we live and move and have our being.' As some of your own poets have said, 'We are his offspring.' 29"Therefore since we are God's offspring, we should not think that the divine being is like gold or silver or stone—an image made by man's design and skill. 30In the past God overlooked such ignorance, but now he commands all people everywhere to repent. 31For he has set a day when he will judge the world with justice by the man he has appointed. He has given proof of this to all men by raising him from the dead."

That doesn't answer the question, unless I over looked the answer?

You say that God is in complete control, yet in that last verse it says "He commands all people everywhere to repent."

If God was in control like you say He is, then why give commands?

Jesus talked about the birds and how they don't die without the will of God.
But He wasn't telling the birds this, He was reasoning with those that were listening to "not worry". If He didn't want them to worry, then why doesn't God just make them not worry?
Why would God reason with people He has full control of?

Why would you reason with people who you think God is controling?
Wouldn't you reason with God instead?

I don't view those verses you post the same way you do.
Those verses the way you are using them contridict verses like "Acknowledge God first and He shall direct your path"
And "Whatever you sow you reap" type verses.

Upvote 0

KleinerApfel

When I awake I am still with You
Mar 4, 2004
Somewhere
✟35,470.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Anyone here who remembers my brother and friend Asaph, please be sure to remember his good qualities as well. His presence here when I first joined CF was a blessing, and I found many of his posts informative, edifying, encouraging and prayerful.
Would any one of us appreciate being remembered only for our errors?

Upvote 0

JimfromOhio

Feb 7, 2004
Central Ohio
✟60,248.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian

You say that God is in complete control, yet in that last verse it says "He commands all people everywhere to repent."

But He wasn't telling the birds this, He was reasoning with those that were listening to "not worry". If He didn't want them to worry, then why doesn't God just make them not worry?

Those verses the way you are using them contridict verses like "Acknowledge God first and He shall direct your path"

You don't get it. God commanded Adam and Eve not to eat the fruit but at the same time, they are not robots; God tested their obedience to Him.

God test our obedience to HIM in this life and how we handle in all circumstances that He directed (as I provided the verses in my previous post).
God unilaterally gives a covenant. He is the sole party responsible to fulfill its obligations. Obedience is not the condition because obedience is not the condition that determines fulfillment. Divine sovereign power is the condition that determines fulfillment because divine sovereign power is the condition that determines obedience.God has to turn their hearts. God Himself has to save them.

All of His doing is the work of God that will bring about the fulfillment that He promised and it will come because He said so (He never lie). Only God can produce the faith, repentance and obedience that brings about the fulfillment.

“He does according to his will among the host of heaven and among the inhabitants of the earth; and none can stay his hand or say to him, ‘What have you done?’” (Daniel 4:35)

He declares “the end from the beginning and from ancient times things not yet done, saying, ‘My counsel shall stand, and I will accomplish all my purpose.’” (Isaiah 46:10)

“Who has spoken and it came to pass, unless the Lord has commanded it? Is it not from the mouth of the Most High that good and bad come?” (Lamentations 3:37-38; see Amos 3:6)

Sovereign is complete control by God, in all circumstances including our own lives. Whether we obey Him or not. If we disobey, His Will and plan will always be accomplished. For some Christians today, God's sovereignty seems to be at question in their theology.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

SUNSTONE

Christian Warrior
Sep 2, 2002
Cocoa Village
Visit site
✟18,200.00
Faith
Non-Denom
I don't get it???
You're the one that says God works in mysterious ways, and something about not being able to understand God with logic.

If God is in control then why is He testing anyone? If He knows what they are going to do, because He is in control, then it's not a test.

It says in the bible that God wants everyone to repent.
Most don't.
So does God really want everyone to repent? Or does He not control everything?
It's one or the other.

Upvote 0

JimfromOhio

Feb 7, 2004
Central Ohio
✟60,248.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
I don't get it???
You're the one that says God works in mysterious ways, and something about not being able to understand God with logic.

If God is in control then why is He testing anyone? If He knows what they are going to do, because He is in control, then it's not a test.

Most don't.
It's one or the other.
I have learned is that God's will don't appear to be "logic" because He is God who created me.

God can control all of His creatures but He will allow their HEARTS determine their future. Most won't repent because of their hearts. During Jesus's ministries, there were people who didn't like Jesus and their unbelief hardened their hearts. God's divine circumstances can turn or don't turn people to God. People may despise it instead of embracing it. Romans 9:18 Therefore God has mercy on whom he wants to have mercy, and he hardens whom he wants to harden. Ephesians 4:18 They are darkened in their understanding and separated from the life of God because of the ignorance that is in them due to the hardening of their hearts. When they don’t get it, they get angry or fustrated or bitter which leads to despise. Because they misjudge and failed to consider to the real purpose and scope of what is happening. That’s “hardening against God.”

Upvote 0

pinetree

Mar 17, 2008
USA
✟13,825.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I don't get it???

Most don't.
It's one or the other.
ya know what I noticed about most of your posts..

you just keep asking questions!:D

Go back over the thread,and look at all the question marks????????

That is not really a productive way to have a conversation with Jim,and others..

Your just raisng questions...:D

2 in this post..

Upvote 0

pinetree

Mar 17, 2008
USA
✟13,825.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

six questions in this post..:doh::o

dude..really...:D

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

SUNSTONE

Christian Warrior
Sep 2, 2002
Cocoa Village
Visit site
✟18,200.00
Faith
Non-Denom
ya know what I noticed about most of your posts..

you just keep asking questions!:D

Go back over the thread,and look at all the question marks????????

That is not really a productive way to have a conversation with Jim,and others..

Your just raisng questions...:D

2 in this post..

Every time he says something it leads to more questions, I mean seriously, he'll say one thing and then turn around and say the complete opposite.
I'm like wha..? huh..?

Eventually all the answers will lead to "Well God works in mysterious ways." or something about the absence of logic.

Upvote 0

JimfromOhio

Feb 7, 2004
Central Ohio
✟60,248.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
So God wants everyone to repent, but at the same time He hardens people's hearts?

And I thought women were bad at making up their mind, sheesh.

He allow things to happen that each of us will respond in a way our heart respond. Rejection to the Holy Spirit has to do with the heart, not the mind that makes decisions. The condition of the heart determines how receptive a person is to the gospel.

Our hearts are like a garden and must be kept free from weeds and insects. To expect the fruits and flowers bloom in an untended heart is to misunderstand completely the processes of Grace and God's will. God's divine circumstances can turn or don't turn people to God. People may despise it instead of embracing it. Romans 9:18 Therefore God has mercy on whom he wants to have mercy, and he hardens whom he wants to harden.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.