United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Rev. Don LaCuesta said taking own life was 'against God'

The mother of a teen who died by suicide is suing the Archdiocese of Detroit over his funeral, claiming a Catholic priest chose that moment to debate whether or not 18-year-old Maison Hullibarger would get into heaven. "We couldn't believe what he was saying," the teen's father, Jeff Hullibarger told the Detroit Free Press of Rev. Don LaCuesta following the funeral last December.

Mom Sues Priest Over His Speech at Her Son's Funeral

• Prayers
Reactions: LaSorcia

Brightmoon

Apes and humans are all in family Hominidae.
Mar 2, 2018
NYC
✟151,950.00
Country
United States
Faith
Episcopalian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
No, I don't think they pick a specific time.

It is good to find out 'they're jerks'. in your terminology here.
people who do that are usually insensitive. Someone that insensitive as to bring this up at a funeral in front of already traumatized people doesn’t need to be a priest as he’s a bit sadistic. Jerk seems about right

Upvote 0

JohnAshton

Aug 13, 2019
Logan, Utah
✟45,911.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Doc Martin, in the episode where he "eulogizes" his aunt at her funeral, scolds her for poor eating habits.

Such is aspergers, I suppose. I have a younger male family member with the syndrome, and when he talks I keep my ear open.

I doubt the case will have legs for this particular family.

• Informative
Reactions: Brightmoon
Upvote 0

zippy2006

Dragonsworn
Nov 9, 2013
✟244,837.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Reposting from here:

First, a funeral homily is not meant to be a eulogy. Folks have a hard time with this. Second, insensitivity is not a crime.

But the problem is that no one is looking at the text. It is available. This happened about a year ago, and the archdiocese released a statement that can be found here. The sermon itself can be found here. As some may have guessed, the priest did not question the man's salvation. That was base propaganda. Here is a relevant portion of the homily:

On most people's mind, however, especially of us who call ourselves Christians, on our minds as we sit in this place is: Can God forgive and heal this? Yes, God CAN forgive even the taking of one's own life. In fact, God awaits us with his mercy, with ever open arms. Sacred Scripture says clearly: God proves his love for us in that while we still were sinners Christ died for us (Romans 5:8). God's abiding mercy is what sets us to ask for it. Although God doesn't dangle his mercy like a carrot, waiting for us to ask for it in order to receive it, we do have to believe in our hearts, express with our words, and show in our actions –that it is always there. God wants nothing but our salvation but he will never force himself on us, he will not save us without us. That's how much he loves us. Because of the all-embracing sacrifice of Christ on the cross God can have mercy on any sin. Yes, because of his mercy, God can forgive suicide and heal what has been broken.
Finally, from the archdiocesan statement:

Father LaCuesta agrees that the family was not served as they should have been served. For the foreseeable future, he will not be preaching at funerals and he will have all other homilies reviewed by a priest mentor. In addition, he has agreed to pursue the assistance he needs in order to become a more effective minister in these difficult situations. This assistance will involve getting help from professionals – on human, spiritual and pastoral levels – to probe how and why he failed to effectively address the grief of the family in crisis.

Father LaCuesta also expressed his regret in a message to parishioners following Masses at Our Lady of Mount Carmel this weekend.​

Reactions: Johnboy60
Upvote 0