✟15,939.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hello
About two weeks ago I was Saved, I have always believed in God and considered myself Christian but I made it "official".
The next day I noticed some changes, like the negative self-talk in my head had severely gone down, the feeling of fear in my gut has decreased. I can't explain it, but I felt a lot of positive changes almost right away.
But a few days later I started to get intruding thoughts about dumb stuff, like "is it too late for me to have a life" (I'm 47), "I'll never have a career, family, etc". basically issues I have been concerned about creeping in. I have been praying my bum off and it works, then the feelings creep back. I pray again, and things subside, then they come back, etc. I can feel things getting better overall, but does this sound like I'm doing something wrong?, or am I right where I should be after being Saved a mere two weeks before?

I have dyslexia and a lot of times type things wrong and don't make sense, so I will admit that right now.
Thanks
Mark

Richard T

Mar 25, 2018
traveling Asia
✟69,791.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Congrats on getting saved. God will surely change your life for the better as you continue in Christ. Though your spirit is saved, your mind now becomes a battleground. You have old stuff there and to get it in agreement with your spirit, you need to read the bible. Romans 12:2 (KJV)
2 And be not conformed to this world: but be ye transformed by the renewing of your mind, that ye may prove what is that good, and acceptable, and perfect, will of God.

As you read and go toe church, with the Holy Spirit helping, your mind will change to be more and more like Christ. As you are maturing God will multiply his grace and work with you. You won't be perfect but God will mold you as you continue in Him. Of course the devil is a liar and he will try and take you off course, suggest all the wrongs things and try to steal anything he can. God will help you recognize that as he says John 10:27-28 (KJV) 27 My sheep hear my voice, and I know them, and they follow me: 28 And I give unto them eternal life; and they shall never perish, neither shall any man pluck them out of my hand. Hopefully you have some Christian friends and a church where you can be taught. There is lots of things on the web but you will have to learn what is flaky and stick with basics, especially for now. God adjusts for age, gifts and abilities, all good things come from him and it is exciting that you will be working on the Jesus team and have become part of the answer to what ails the world. God Bless!

Upvote 0

mukk_in

Yankees Fan
Site Supporter
Oct 13, 2009
Vellore, India
✟664,706.00
Country
India
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
Hello, TomcatPC. It's never too late to be saved or have a life. Initially some re-adjustment may be necessary (Matthew 10:34) as putting off the old self will not be quick or easy (Romans 7:14-25). The Holy Spirit will train you and eventually you'll see the fruit of the Holy Spirit in yourself (Hebrews 12:11, Galatians 5:22). We're always proud of our Veterans. Peace in Christ :).

Last edited:
Upvote 0

St_Worm2

Simul Justus et Peccator
Site Supporter
Jan 28, 2002
✟2,929,247.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Hello
About two weeks ago I was Saved, I have always believed in God and considered myself Christian but I made it "official".
The next day I noticed some changes, like the negative self-talk in my head had severely gone down, the feeling of fear in my gut has decreased. I can't explain it, but I felt a lot of positive changes almost right away.
But a few days later I started to get intruding thoughts about dumb stuff, like "is it too late for me to have a life" (I'm 47), "I'll never have a career, family, etc". basically issues I have been concerned about creeping in. I have been praying my bum off and it works, then the feelings creep back. I pray again, and things subside, then they come back, etc. I can feel things getting better overall, but does this sound like I'm doing something wrong?, or am I right where I should be after being Saved a mere two weeks before?

I have dyslexia and a lot of times type things wrong and don't make sense, so I will admit that right now.
Thanks
Mark
Hi Brother, first off, I see you're still pretty new around here, so WELCOME TO CF :wave:, but far more importantly, WELCOME TO THE FAMILY OF GOD as well :):) .. Luke 15:10.

Like you, spiritual battles with our common enemy began immediately after I became a Christian (I'd gone thirty years in church "thinking" that I was a Christian all along, until the day I actually became one that is (11/2/86). And your thought-life will probably get worse, so you need to be aware of what Satan is up to (on the one hand), and be continually growing in your walk with the Lord (on the other). More than anything else, you need to remember that the One who saved you, who sent His Son here to die on the Cross for you, loves you and needs to be the One you always choose to believe and trust, no matter how persuasive Satan's lies may sound to you in the moment. God is not the author of confusion, but Satan surely is :( (so if something doesn't sound/seem right to you, it probably isn't).

Here are some verses that may be worth taking a look at and taking some time to consider, along with the ones Richard left you above. Just click on the links if you'd like to see them.

There's a book of short stories by C S Lewis that really helped me understand what Satan was up to when I was a new Christian, and how he was/is still working in my life since then. It's called The Screwtape Letters, and you can buy it here, or read it online for free here. If you can afford it, I'd recommend the book that costs $$, particularly the one I posited for you here, but either will work in the end :)

Lewis read these stories live on the radio during WWII, but then formed them into the collection of stories that we have today. This work of fiction is written from the demons' POV, so just be aware that when you see the word "Enemy" in this book, for instance, God is the One who's actually being referred to ;) (be sure to read the preface(s) and introduction too as they are helpful and interesting)

BTW, I rarely recommend books, and it's even rarer for me to recommend fiction, but this particular book will give you real life insights/understanding into the world and the thinking of our enemy in a way that no non-fiction book I've ever found can do.

Finally, just take time to be in His word everyday, sitting at His feet, learning from Him, and growing up in Him. There's no rush for you to do anything else as a new Christian, in fact, I believe this is what the Lord intends for His new children.

Do you have a church to attend/be a part of yet, because that is VERY important. Along with prayer and Bible study, you need to hear the word of God preached weekly and be able to partake in the Lord's Supper, and you need the direct and regular fellowship of other Christian brothers and sisters .. Hebrews 10:24-25 (and it is our pastors who have been tasked by the Lord with keeping watch over our souls while we remain here, as aliens and strangers for His glory .. Matthew 5:16; Hebrews 13:17; 1 Peter 2:11).

God bless you! Praying for you!

Yours and His,
David
p.s. - you should also seek to be baptized as soon as you can (if you have not already been baptized, that is).

1 Thessalonians 5
23 ..May the God of peace Himself sanctify you entirely; and may your spirit and soul and body
be preserved complete, without blame at the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ.
24 ..Faithful is He who calls you, and He also will bring it to pass.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

St_Worm2

Simul Justus et Peccator
Site Supporter
Jan 28, 2002
✟2,929,247.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Online Broadcasts from theologians/pastors like these can be ~very~ useful as well.

https://renewingyourmind.org/ .. Dr. R C Sproul

https://gty.org/ .. Dr. John MacArthur

http://insight.org/ .. Dr. Chuck Swindoll
I believe all of these ministries have Broadcast Archives as well as the daily broadcasts in case you are looking for something specific Biblically or Topically.

These Bible Study sites can be helpful too:

--David

Numbers 6
24 ..The LORD bless you and keep you;
25 ..The LORD make His face shine upon you,
And be gracious to you;
26 ..The LORD lift up His countenance upon you,
And give you peace.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

AWorkInProgress

A fool becoming wise
Jan 18, 2007
Glendale, AZ
✟89,517.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Welcome TomcastPC,

It is weird, as I am reading your post it reminds me a lot of my conversion. I found that some people have very dramatic experience when receiving their salvation, others it is quiet. Mine was more on the dramatic side. I gave my life to the Lord one night, and the next morning I felt different. Like a heavy barbell of darkness was lifted from my shoulders, and I felt like I had eyes that couldn't sin. My struggle was with lust, and instead of seeing women as objects, I saw them as beautiful creations by God's hands. Much like marveling a statue by Michelangelo.

As the first month went by, slowly the barbell was put back on my shoulders and my eyes began to struggle again. One day while doing hard labor to help move a Pastor my Step Dad knew. No one showed up to help us except her son and us. We were pushed to our limits and my Dad snapped at me for using his computer without permission. I snapped, ran home and intentionally sinned. Throwing my fist to the heavens in pure anger.

The next day I had to sit down and think really deeply about what had happened to me. I could not deny something had happened to me, the first real good thing that ever happened in my life. Like the first time in my life someone really cared about me, that was my Lord himself and I never had that before. I have and had many emotional problems and no one had the patience to talk with me, to help me work them out. Now I did for the first time in my life. Like the Lord was saying, you can have what you experienced, but you have to walk with me and trust me. To let my Lord be my teacher, and to teach me how to live.

In tears I humbled myself and prayed for forgiveness for what I done. I been walking with my Lord since.

I wanted to share my testimony to encourage you to not give up, but to hold on to Jesus no matter what life throws at you. Much like the post of the others, the Holy Spirit with train you up and lead you to much needing healing of your heart. It will be a process, I am 10 years in and I made more mistakes than I can count yet just like in the beginning my Lord has never abandoned me nor forsake me. I healed so much, I am not the same person I was when I first was saved.

Upvote 0

St_Worm2

Simul Justus et Peccator
Site Supporter
Jan 28, 2002
✟2,929,247.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Hi Mark, one more thing came to mind from Dr. MacArthur that could prove useful to you as a new Christian. It's a short teaching series called Spiritual Boot Camp, and you can listen to it for free online right here (or you can buy it if you'd prefer as well).

Spiritual Boot Camp takes a look at four of our most important spiritual disciplines to help you find the best ways to practice and apply them to your life (and eventually to the lives of others as well). They are:

1. Bible Study
2. Prayer
3. Fellowship
4. Witnessing​

Enjoy :)

--David

Instead of a river, God often gives us a brook, which may be running
today and dried up tomorrow. Why? To teach us not to rest
in our blessings, but in the Blesser Himself.

~Arthur W. Pink~

Last edited:
Upvote 0

bcbsr

Mar 17, 2003
Visit site
✟201,456.00
Faith
Christian
Hello

Thanks
Mark
It is a personal relationship so the particulars may be unique to the individual, but there are general principles which you appear to be going through. When a person comes to faith in Christ the second part of the New Covenant takes effect, namely regeneration. "You are all sons of God through faith in Christ Jesus" Gal 3:26 When a person is born of God it becomes natural to do what is right and unnatural to do what is wrong. Speaking in terms of lifestyle experience (though not regarding every point in time) John writes, "No one who is born of God will continue to sin, because God’s seed remains in him; he cannot go on sinning, because he has been born of God. This is how we know who the children of God are and who the children of the devil are: Anyone who does not do what is right is not a child of God; nor is anyone who does not love his brother." 1John 3:9,10 Thus there is an effect on a persons behavior so much so that it can be used as an identifying mark of the believer. This is not performance based salvation, but rather salvation based performance. The grace of eternal life is free, conditioned solely upon faith. But then how does God deal with sinfulness. He deals with that through regeneration, and the free from issues of condemnation. For Jesus says, "I tell you the truth, whoever hears my word and believes him who sent me has eternal life and will not be condemned; he has crossed over from death to life." John 5:24

There is still the struggle with the flesh, but greater is He who is in us than he who is in the world.
"So I say, live by the Spirit, and you will not gratify the desires of the sinful nature. For the sinful nature desires what is contrary to the Spirit, and the Spirit what is contrary to the sinful nature. They are in conflict with each other, so that you do not do what you want. But if you are led by the Spirit, you are not under law." Gal 5:16-18

As for anxieties, "Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus." Php 4:6,7

"In repentance and rest is your salvation, in quietness and trust is your strength" Is 30:15

Upvote 0

Hazelelponi

:sighing:
Site Supporter
Jun 25, 2018
USA
✟691,075.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Im 49, my husband 57 and it's never too late. We've been married for just over 5 years now and I've been saved just over three (my husband's been saved decades) Your never too old to find love and happiness and make positive changes in life like a new career..

I would recommend a pilgrim's progress it's a book. You can download it here: https://www.ccel.org/ccel/bunyan/pilgrim.html but I actually recommend finding a copy where someone rewrote it in today's English. (Otherwise it will give you a headache)

We found a copy rewritten in modern English (a children's version actually) at the thrift store and I read it for the first time a few months ago. It's an amazing book and even though I've been saved a few years now there were times i was like ohhhhh... so that's what that is!

I think it is good for any new Christian to read! Very helpful..

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

St. Helens

I stand with Israel
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
CF Staff Trainer
Site Supporter
Jul 24, 2007
Lower Slower Minnesota
✟1,226,320.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
Hello, Mark,
First I want to say congratulations on making that step. What you are experiencing is very common to being a new Christian. You have made a decision that will affect you in this life and forever. What you are going through I went through as a new believer many, many years ago. I have now been a Christian for 45 years. You have become a Christian not only of your own volition, but God also played a role in drawing you.

John 6:44
"No one can come to me unless the Father who sent me draws them, and I will raise them up at the last day."

1 Peter 2:9
But you are a chosen race, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, a people for his own possession, that you may proclaim the excellencies of him who called you out of darkness into his marvelous light.

2 Corinthians 5:17
Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation. The old has passed away; behold, the new has come.

Being a new believer is like being a sapling. Saplings don't have a strong trunk at first. but given time they grow into strong trees. Faith starts small but with time it grows.

Mark 4:30-32
And he said, “With what can we compare the kingdom of God, or what parable shall we use for it? It is like a grain of mustard seed, which, when sown on the ground, is the smallest of all the seeds on earth, yet when it is sown it grows up and becomes larger than all the garden plants and puts out large branches, so that the birds of the air can make nests in its shade.

It is important to remember that since you made that step that Salvation has already taken place.

Romans 10:9-10
Because, if you confess with your mouth that Jesus is Lord and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved. For with the heart one believes and is justified, and with the mouth one confesses and is saved.

Now there is the process of growth. I will be praying for you in this.

Reactions: St_Worm2
Upvote 0

TomcatPC

Jul 24, 2018
Toledo
✟15,939.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Whoa! That's a lot to read for someone with dyslexia and needing to go to work in a few minutes. But...first off, thanks for the responses! And two...as much as it can be testing and a bad place to be at times...it sounds like what I am going through right now is..."normal" for someone who is in my place.

I can deal with that...might not exactly like it at times, but I can deal with that.
Thanks again.
Mark

Upvote 0

St. Helens

I stand with Israel
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
CF Staff Trainer
Site Supporter
Jul 24, 2007
Lower Slower Minnesota
✟1,226,320.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
I suffer from a mild disability where I have to keep fixing my typing too. It's not too uncommon. God still uses me despite it.

Upvote 0

JCFantasy23

In a Kingdom by the Sea.
Jul 1, 2008
Lakeland, FL
✟502,107.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

You are not doing anything wrong and have no reason to doubt! Unfortunately as Christians we can still succumb to anxiety, even though we should strive to not do so --- I do this myself. It sounds like anxiety thoughts, normal self-doubts, and worries in your mind are creeping in. Getting saved does not erase all of these thoughts or our temptations, but it makes us know we have God to trust in, have faith and hope in, and have by our sides while we strive to improve and make ourselves stronger. The struggle is real at times but we as Christians cannot give up for God is always with us. It is not promised to be an easy road, but it is a glorious one.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

St_Worm2

Simul Justus et Peccator
Site Supporter
Jan 28, 2002
✟2,929,247.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Whoa! That's a lot to read for someone with dyslexia and needing to go to work in a few minutes.
:sorry: - sorry, I know I was the biggest offender of that above!
But...first off, thanks for the responses! And two...as much as it can be testing and a bad place to be at times...it sounds like what I am going through right now is..."normal" for someone who is in my place.
Yes, quite normal, especially for someone like you who is recently born again. In fact, if it's someone's claim that they've become a believer and life is nothing but a rose garden for them afterwards, they need to test themselves to see if they are really in Christ/in the faith .. 2 Corinthians 13:5, because chances are likely that they are not :preach:

Yours and His,
David

2 Timothy 3
12 Indeed, all who desire to live godly in Christ Jesus will be persecuted.

• Agree
Reactions: St. Helens
Upvote 0

soombing

Daniel • Amateur Photographer
Aug 3, 2018
DIY
Visit site
✟17,492.00
Country
Indonesia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Hello

Thanks
Mark

First of all... congratulation, it's amazing to be saved. Secondly it's normal.

• Agree
Upvote 0

aiki

Feb 16, 2007
Winnipeg
✟236,538.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
I can feel things getting better overall, but does this sound like I'm doing something wrong?, or am I right where I should be after being Saved a mere two weeks before?

You don't feel the full force of the current you're in until you stop moving with it. When you do stop moving with it, the force of the life current you've been in can feel overwhelming. And this is just how God wants it to feel. Why? Because He wants you to learn to depend upon Him all the time. God will use our struggles to show us our profound weakness so that we will abandon trying to do for God and let Him do for us. God will also use your struggles in walking with Him to instill in you certain spiritual reflexes and disciplines. Be easy, though; God's not in a terrible rush. As you learn over time to walk well with Him, the rest of your life will fall into place.

And welcome to the family of God, by the way!

Upvote 0

Love &Forgiveness

Aug 30, 2018
US
✟18,415.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Just keep seeking and putting all your trust in Jesus. Only Jesus can Save and Change you. Don't try to work, earn, or buy Salvation, just accept Jesus as your Saviour and Master. Whenever you are convicted of sin, confess your sin by admitting that you don't want to live that way, then ask Jesus to give you the desire and Strength to overcome that sin. Then trust Jesus to do it. Don't try to fix it yourself. It is called surrender to Jesus will. We have to give up our lives, our desires, for His desires and purpose in our life. Christianity isn't getting what we want, but what Jesus wants for us. We are called to be loving and forgiving to each other. Jesus needs to refine you and see what you truly want in life. Did you come to Jesus to get more power, things, money, etc or did you come to Him to make you selfless and to serve Him and others? If you are satisfied in how the world says is the right way to live then you won't be satisfied in Jesus. Jesus comes to satisfy our longing for Love.

Upvote 0

Newtheran

Sep 10, 2018
South
✟34,289.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Hello

Mark,

In the words of Obi Wan Kenobi..."You've taken your first step into a larger world."

Seriously though, you've just started a long journey. I encourage you not to see your salvation as merely something that occurred at a point in time on a given calendar page and move on with business as usual. Paul described the journey of the Christian as a race, and far too many of us aren't running anything. If salvation is to mean something, it is a fork in the road...one where we embark on a journey of doggedly trying to become the people God wants us to be. There will be good days and bad.

Some things that have helped me:

1. The day I was baptized, a friend told me "remember, people leak". That's very true. True religion isn't just a series of emotional highs.
2. Use of a prayer book to help discipline your prayer life. I use this:
http://store.ancientfaith.com/the-ancient-faith-prayer-book/
I would encourage you to start out by picking out a prayer to say in the morning and the evening after you wake up and before you go to sleep. Don't do this mindlessly or in a rote or formulaic manner but take time to reflect on the words you are saying.
3. Forsake not the gathering together. Other believers are an encouragement. Go to church. Find a faithful church that is faithful to the moral teachings of the Bible and consistent with the practices of the faith once delivered to the saints.

Upvote 0