Newly Married/Disappointing Sex Life

Dec 5, 2016
Austria
✟15,835.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
My husband and I have been married for 8 months. We were together for 2 years prior to marrying and did not have sex before we married as being Christian we believed this was the right thing to do. Fooling around, I had the impression he was very interested in regular and exciting sex.

I lived as a non-Christian previously, having several long term relationships and plenty of great/experimental/intimate sex. My husband was a virgin when we married.

We both expected to have lots of sex when we got married, but it is infrequent at best. I didn't expect him to be amazing having had no experience, but having been with a virgin before I thought he'd catch on pretty quick. He hasn't. In fact he doesn't even seem to know his own body that well.

I am so disappointed and I know he feels pressured by my desire to have more frequent sex than he does. I feel disappointed that my man wants less sex than I do! Any guy I was with before always wanted plenty of sex, usually every day, even more than once, which is more my drive.

He doesn't seem to enjoy foreplay - he told me once that he gets tired and that it seems like a lot of work. It made me feel like he isn't even excited to touch my body...not a problem I ever had before.

He is also very conservative when it comes to experimentation - it's pretty much missionary all the way. I feel really unhappy - not only do we hardly have sex, but when we do it's mostly mediocre. We have had times where we really connected, but it's rare.

We have talked about it multiple times, but the more we talk the worse it gets - the more pressured he feels and the more frustrated I feel. I have tried to be patient, but he never initiates sex and I feel rejected most of the time when I do. He is always tired. We have had a lot of pressure and stress since we got married but stress never had such an impact on my sex life before.

I am so disappointed at the thought of this being my sex life for the rest of my life. I feel doomed to be sexually frustrated from now on. I find myself fantasising about getting sex toys and satisfying myself. But I don't want to hide things from him or make him feel any more inadequate. I find it hard not to think about past encounters that were more satisfying and exciting and to want that again. Of course this all leaves me empty, even thinking about it makes me sad. This isn't what I want. I want a real connection with the man I married and a great and exciting and regular sex life! Is that too much to hope for? Seems this problem is usually the other way around with the guy wanting more sex and more experimentation.

It's taking an emotional toll. We both feel frustrated and disappointed with God having trusted Him, believing He would bless us for waiting.

I don't know where to go from here. Help!

• Prayers
Reactions: Kevin-D.77

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Upvote 0

slippinginfaith

Nov 22, 2016
Indonesia
✟12,522.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
My husband and I have been married for 8 months. We were together for 2 years prior to marrying and did not have sex before we married as being Christian we believed this was the right thing to do. Fooling around, I had the impression he was very interested in regular and exciting sex.

I lived as a non-Christian previously, having several long term relationships and plenty of great/experimental/intimate sex. My husband was a virgin when we married.

We both expected to have lots of sex when we got married, but it is infrequent at best. I didn't expect him to be amazing having had no experience, but having been with a virgin before I thought he'd catch on pretty quick. He hasn't. In fact he doesn't even seem to know his own body that well.

I am so disappointed and I know he feels pressured by my desire to have more frequent sex than he does. I feel disappointed that my man wants less sex than I do! Any guy I was with before always wanted plenty of sex, usually every day, even more than once, which is more my drive.

He doesn't seem to enjoy foreplay - he told me once that he gets tired and that it seems like a lot of work. It made me feel like he isn't even excited to touch my body...not a problem I ever had before.

He is also very conservative when it comes to experimentation - it's pretty much missionary all the way. I feel really unhappy - not only do we hardly have sex, but when we do it's mostly mediocre. We have had times where we really connected, but it's rare.

We have talked about it multiple times, but the more we talk the worse it gets - the more pressured he feels and the more frustrated I feel. I have tried to be patient, but he never initiates sex and I feel rejected most of the time when I do. He is always tired. We have had a lot of pressure and stress since we got married but stress never had such an impact on my sex life before.

I am so disappointed at the thought of this being my sex life for the rest of my life. I feel doomed to be sexually frustrated from now on. I find myself fantasising about getting sex toys and satisfying myself. But I don't want to hide things from him or make him feel any more inadequate. I find it hard not to think about past encounters that were more satisfying and exciting and to want that again. Of course this all leaves me empty, even thinking about it makes me sad. This isn't what I want. I want a real connection with the man I married and a great and exciting and regular sex life! Is that too much to hope for? Seems this problem is usually the other way around with the guy wanting more sex and more experimentation.

It's taking an emotional toll. We both feel frustrated and disappointed with God having trusted Him, believing He would bless us for waiting.

Honestly, I think if you two are meant to be (which seems to be the case since you two are happily married now), then you two should be compatible bodily. Sex is something very intimate that you two should really talk about and whether he is more vanilla or not in bed, you kinda can't push him too much if he is vanilla. Sex isn't about one's pleasure anyway, it's more about how the two unite and just share the love for one another. Consider yourself as a mentor towards his sexual journey and it might be exciting. Communicate about this more. I'm sure it'll be okay

Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟960,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
"I lived as a non-Christian previously, having several long term relationships and plenty of great/experimental/intimate sex."

Perhaps this is the problem (might be an ego thing with him). If so there's little you can do about it. You can't put toothpaste back in the tube.

Upvote 0

Ffraid

Dec 3, 2016
earth
✟21,838.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Counselling, both of you, both with your pastor and a therapist, like, yesterday. It looks like the two of you are not on the same page on either the expectation or the practical level, and you need to find and iron out the snags if you are to stay together. It goes without saying that you need to be brutally honest to each other, but do get help. You don't have to work this out just the two of you.

Upvote 0
Dec 5, 2016
Austria
✟15,835.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
How old are you both?
Has he been a strong christian all his life?
What kind of sexual teaching/messages did he get from home and church?
we are both in our late twenties. he grew up in a conservative Christian home with very reserved parents. he had a very conservative church at first but as he got older was with a much more liberal group.

Upvote 0
Dec 5, 2016
Austria
✟15,835.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Counselling, both of you, both with your pastor and a therapist, like, yesterday. It looks like the two of you are not on the same page on either the expectation or the practical level, and you need to find and iron out the snags if you are to stay together. It goes without saying that you need to be brutally honest to each other, but do get help. You don't have to work this out just the two of you.
the tricky thing is we just moved and know basically noone here. we have no church and very few connections at this point. we also have the added complication of being a bilingual relationship, which makes a councillor hard to find. will keep an eye out...

Upvote 0

S.O.J.I.A.

Dynamic UNO
Nov 6, 2016
Michigan
✟98,714.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
It's gonna be tough when you come from an illicit sexual past where sex was nothing more than mutual masturbation.

the sex toy fantasizing...yeah, your view of sex and sexuality will need to drastically change if this is going to get any better. counselling STAT.

this is the reason why inappropriate contentography is such an utterly lethal and destructive thing.

Upvote 0

Dave-W

Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
we are both in our late twenties. he grew up in a conservative Christian home with very reserved parents. he had a very conservative church at first but as he got older was with a much more liberal group.
I thought so. Late 20s is not too late to change, but it will start to get more difficult if you do not address it.

You guys are just a bit younger than my youngest (31). That means if he was in a conservative evangelical church and his parents were of that stripe also, he probably got the worst end of the so-called "purity culture" teaching. Josh Harris (who used to live just a few blocks from us) started it with the book "I kissed dating goodbye." It is very negative on sexuality, relationships, normal sexual development, etc. People reacted differently to it but those who fully embraced it seem to have a high incidence of sexual and relational dysfunction.

My wife and I grew up in the predecessor to that, Gothardism (which TVs Duggar family live in) which had the same problems. Any sexual desire or feeling or curiosity before marriage was considered sinful lust. So when you are supposed to be curious about your own body and that of the opposite sex, all you get is guilt and condemnation. What God intended for good became evil.

Of course that is supposed to all magically disappear when you get married; but that is almost like cutting off your arm or leg and expecting it to suddenly grow back when you need it. It does not work that way.

Your husband probably will need some re-training in his thoughts/emotions and perhaps some sex therapy to regain what was lost. Find a good biblical family counselor and start working thru these things. You may need to be very patient with him.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

EmmaCat

Happy Homemaker!
Site Supporter
May 5, 2016
Rural Western NC
✟326,897.00
Country
United States
Faith
Fundament. Christ.
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Oh my! I'll be praying for both of you!

Aside from the good advice up there, have you discussed the possibility of low testosterone? Can he go to the doctor and be tested?

I was stumped, so I showed this to my hubby and that's what he suggested. One of his friends had that problem.

God bless you!

All good things
Emmy

Upvote 0

Dave-W

Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
It's gonna be tough when you come from an illicit sexual past where sex was nothing more than mutual masturbation.

the sex toy fantasizing...yeah, your view of sex and sexuality will need to drastically change if this is going to get any better. counselling STAT.

this is the reason why inappropriate contentography is such an utterly lethal and destructive thing.
While I will agree with your last sentence; I do not find anything else in your post to be of aid.

She is is the one being frustrated here; and scripturally sex is a wife's right and a husband's responsibility. (and not the other way around) You are condemning her and that is not right.

Upvote 0

Dave-W

Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
have you discussed the possibility of low testosterone? Can he go to the doctor and be tested?
It would seem that some people can lower their T levels by years of denial.

Getting the levels back up is problematic.

Upvote 0

Root of Jesse

Admiral of the Fleet/First Sea Lord
Site Supporter
Jun 23, 2011
Bay Area, California
Visit site
✟354,065.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
While I will agree with your last sentence; I do not find anything else in your post to be of aid.

She is is the one being frustrated here; and scripturally sex is a wife's right and a husband's responsibility. (and not the other way around) You are condemning her and that is not right.
No, he's condemning her idea that sex with toys is an alternative, which it decidedly should not be. It would be one thing to employ sex toys in a mutual loving relationship.
Marital sex is supposed to be a loving, caring, mutual experience. I would suggest spending a lot of time cuddling, and relax together, and see if it doesn't help. Slow and steady wins the race. Pursuing the ultimate [bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse] can be a pressure situation on the other partner.
Also, sex is a really, really small part of a relationship. I wonder if you (the OP) isn't blowing up the issue. Let him lead the way, with gentle prodding from you...

Upvote 0

Dave-W

Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
they both have issues. one party wants to have sex like a inappropriate content star while the other thinks sex is evil or nasty.
Those are both assumptions.

Do you not know that what ever done apart from faith is sin? So IF (and it is a very big IF since that has not been established yet) one thinks it is evil and nasty, then any sexual activity on the part of that person is sinful. (not done in faith)

And who said anything about a "inappropriate content star?" She just wants some variety and some relief.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Dave-W

Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Also, sex is a really, really small part of a relationship.
Sex when it is good and satisfying is about 10% of the relationship.

OTOH, if it is bad it becomes 90% of the relationship.

think of it like your foot. How much thought do you give to your feet if you are walking around your house, the mall, etc? Now if you step on a nail, now how much do you think about your foot? A LOT more.

I wonder if you (the OP) isn't blowing up the issue. Let him lead the way, with gentle prodding from you..
Blaming her again.

If what I suspect is true, then letting him lead will get them exactly no where. If he hates it (deep down) then he will avoid it. Since it is not from faith it will be sin to him and we all should have a holy aversion to sin.

Upvote 0

Ffraid

Dec 3, 2016
earth
✟21,838.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
the tricky thing is we just moved and know basically noone here. we have no church and very few connections at this point. we also have the added complication of being a bilingual relationship, which makes a councillor hard to find. will keep an eye out...

Look for a congregation first. It will be telling, compatibility-wise, if you can't agree where to worship together. Once you have that, ask your pastor for references. Best of luck!

Upvote 0

Dave-W

Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
masturbation is the selfish act of using someone in order to get pleasure for yourself. the pleasure of sex is to be shared mutually in the act of the two coming together(hence "one flesh") in giving and receiving the benefits.
Not always.

If that were so, then why is it described favorably in Song of Solomon?

Upvote 0

razzelflabben

Contributor
Nov 8, 2003
Ohio
✟122,293.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
As I read the OP I thought that maybe the OPer needs to change her impression and expectations of sex in marriage WHILE the husband learns how to please both his wife and self and God in this area. Seldom in marriage does only one person need to change their position, usually both need to change together as they grow in Christ.

Just a thought for what it's worth

Upvote 0