✟15,618.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hello,
So I have been going to a Christian church since May 2016, when I moved to GA. I have always believed in God, but I never read the bible or been to church since then. I have prayed once in awhile but it was never daily. My family was just never church going people. I started to go because when my husband and I moved to GA we stayed with his family until we could find a place of our own. And well there rules, you wake up under this roof you're coming to church! I had no issues with it, as I said I have always believed in God =]. I fell in love instantly! I have been going to church faithfully since then. My only concern is, I hate reading.. I've tried to read the bible many many times. I've tried to memorize scripture. I just can't. I know my heart is in the right place, but why can't I read the bible? Has any one else had an issue like this? I'm not even sure if I put this in the right place. I was just gonna write that I was newish and my mind took over lol.

Thanks for reading!
Nikki

• Prayers
Reactions: 1 person

HTacianas

Jul 9, 2018
Florida
✟324,290.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Hello,
So I have been going to a Christian church since May 2016, when I moved to GA. I have always believed in God, but I never read the bible or been to church since then. I have prayed once in awhile but it was never daily. My family was just never church going people. I started to go because when my husband and I moved to GA we stayed with his family until we could find a place of our own. And well there rules, you wake up under this roof you're coming to church! I had no issues with it, as I said I have always believed in God =]. I fell in love instantly! I have been going to church faithfully since then. My only concern is, I hate reading.. I've tried to read the bible many many times. I've tried to memorize scripture. I just can't. I know my heart is in the right place, but why can't I read the bible? Has any one else had an issue like this? I'm not even sure if I put this in the right place. I was just gonna write that I was newish and my mind took over lol.

Thanks for reading!
Nikki

Most Christians throughout history never read the bible. It isn't a requirement.

Upvote 0
Aug 9, 2018
Covington
✟15,618.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Most Christians throughout history never read the bible. It isn't a requirement.
I know it's not a requirement. I just feel like I will become closer to God and understand His word better if I do read the bible. =]

Upvote 0

“Paisios”

Sinner
Site Supporter
Aug 8, 2014
✟594,142.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Hello,

Thanks for reading!
Nikki
It is good to read the Bible, if not required. But for many, reading is an issue. I would suggest checking out different translations - some are more readable than others. Or, there are audio Bibles available which you could listen to instead of read.

Memorization of Scripture (or anything) is difficult for me - I try to get familiar with passages and their meaning, then look up (on computer, iPad or phone, or hard printed copy) when I need to quote the exact wording.

Upvote 0

Rescued One

...yet not I, but the grace of God that is with me
Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟79,668.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
Hi! Welcome to CF.

i grew up in a non-Christian family, children from many marriages. The only ones who ever became Christians were my half-sister raised by my die-hard atheist father and I. I still have trouble reading the Old Testament because of the endless genealogies. I've fallen in love with the New Testament. I can read chapter after chapter or get online and look up topics. If you're in a good church ask if there are small group Bible studies. Just keep reading various topics, too. Check the Bible to see if what you're taught is in the Bible and ask the Holy Spirit to guide you.

God bless!

Here's link:
https://biblehub.com/john/3-3.htm

And:
https://www.gotquestions.org/whats-new.html

Upvote 0
Aug 9, 2018
Covington
✟15,618.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Reading could be seen as boring to some, but there are other ways to receive the word, and that is by listening to the bible - faith comes from hearing. I think bible gateway has audio to hear the bible, and bible messages.
I have to try that out! thanks! =]

Upvote 0
Aug 9, 2018
Covington
✟15,618.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hi! Welcome to CF.

i grew up in a non-Christian family, children from many marriages. The only ones who ever became Christians were my half-sister raised by my die-hard atheist father and I. I still have trouble reading the Old Testament because of the endless genealogies. I've fallen in love with the New Testament. I can read chapter after chapter or get online and look up topics. If you're in a good church ask if there are small group Bible studies. Just keep reading various topics, too. Check the Bible to see if what you're taught is in the Bible and ask the Holy Spirit to guide you.

God bless!

Here's link:
https://biblehub.com/john/3-3.htm

And:
https://www.gotquestions.org/whats-new.html
The New Testament is definitely an easier/better read! I just may have to try the audio books!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

grasping the after wind

That's grasping after the wind
Jan 18, 2010
Clarence Center NY USA
✟237,637.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I know it's not a requirement. I just feel like I will become closer to God and understand His word better if I do read the bible. =]

I believe you are correct in thinking that. A couple things to try. there are one year bible studies on line where you will only spend a very short time each day in reading and read the entire Bible in one year. Not that reading it in its entirety is necessarily the best course of action Also if it is reading and not listening that is a problem you could, instead of reading, listen to someone else that has been pre recorded reading the Bible . Again you could find that somewhere on line. My best advice though would be to join a bible study class where you would not only read but be able to discuss what the Bible is telling you with others. You could use the prerecorded version as preparation for the class and not necessarily have to read .

Upvote 0
Aug 9, 2018
Covington
✟15,618.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
You say that you've always believed in God. Have you repented of your sins and asked Jesus into your heart, and committed to having him lead you in all that you do?
yes, yes I have! He is my savior!

Upvote 0
Aug 9, 2018
Covington
✟15,618.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I believe you are correct in thinking that. A couple things to try. there are one year bible studies on line where you will only spend a very short time each day in reading and read the entire Bible in one year. Not that reading it in its entirety is necessarily the best course of action Also if it is reading and not listening that is a problem you could, instead of reading, listen to someone else that has been pre recorded reading the Bible . Again you could find that somewhere on line. My best advice though would be to join a bible study class where you would not only read but be able to discuss what the Bible is telling you with others. You could use the prerecorded version as preparation for the class and not necessarily have to read .
I have to look into that bible study! Never would have thought about that. Thanks!

Upvote 0

Dave G.

May 22, 2017
Sandiwich
✟324,079.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
I read my bible faithfully and I also use it as a reference in my life. But I don't read for hours per night. Maybe just pick one chapter out of one book and see how far you get in the one chapter. When you tire stop and put a marker in the book and pick it up tomorrow.

Sometimes another thing I do is I have a bible verse come into my email daily that I read with my morning coffee, then later in the day I may pick up my bible and turn to that page where the verse is and read that chapter to get it better into context.

Google is your friend, pick a subject and look up verses for that subject ( do a search for the scriptures about that topic). Find those scriptures and you now have a new read for the evening. Maybe just reading the verses around that scripture or a reference or two. You would be amazed after a few times doing this how you quickly begin to learn your way around the bible and it's all just in short spurts. A new testament scripture might refer to an old testament scripture etc... And this way you find tons to read.

Don't try to read the bible like a book if it's boring you but by topics. Each book stands on it's own.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

JustRachel

He welcomed me back! <3
Site Supporter
Aug 12, 2007
Right here
✟325,928.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Each morning I open my browser to First5 .org, Intouch .org daily devotions, and then on my phone I study "Read Scripture" which is an app from The Bible project. Also, I am currently reading a book on my Kindle app by Beth Moore. It's a study of John. Two Bible study groups each week and Sunday school before church. If I miss any of this, I feel a bit empty.

Upvote 0