Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
David Mills, who entered the Church over 15 years ago, says a convert may know many of the Catholic details. He may be full book learning. But of the real Catholic mind or imagination-theCathlic paragrim, the way Catholics see the world-be knows little. The new Catholic must work for many years to get that, and never will get it fully.

Continued below.

Newcomers to the Church should speak less, listen more

Alicia Schout

Aug 17, 2017
Netherlands
✟52,769.00
Country
Netherlands
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
David Mills, who entered the Church over 15 years ago, says a convert may know many of the Catholic details. He may be full book learning. But of the real Catholic mind or imagination-theCathlic paragrim, the way Catholics see the world-be knows little. The new Catholic must work for many years to get that, and never will get it fully.

Continued below.

Well, in God's Kingdom it doesn't matter if you are a new comer or not. What matters if you are doing God's will and are obeying is commandments. Let us build each other up with love, understanding and care.

Upvote 0

Stabat Mater dolorosa

Jesus Christ today, yesterday and forever!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Somewhere up North
✟294,001.00
Country
Norway
Faith
Traditional. Cath.
Marital Status
Single
But isn't it typical that God reveal himself to the little ones and bless the church with fresh water from those coming in?

New perspectives and so on...

Upvote 0

Stabat Mater dolorosa

Jesus Christ today, yesterday and forever!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Somewhere up North
✟294,001.00
Country
Norway
Faith
Traditional. Cath.
Marital Status
Single
That being said as a rule of thumb its better to stay humble as a Catholic novice than lecturing those who've been their whole life aswell as clergy.

I guess no rules comes without an exception or two...

Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,666,152.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I think it is strange that all the sudden there seems to be a desire to separate the converts from those born into the faith. I do not like it.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

AvilaSurfer

Site Supporter
May 14, 2015
NO
✟936,196.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I don't see "a desire" IRL. But there have always been crustyoldfart Catholics that still think converts are second class and should not hold certain positions.
I usually have fun reminding them that all 12 apostles plus one virgin were converts.

Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,666,152.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I have noticed it with certain people in my parish. Who knew some seem to think there is a Catholic caste system. The funny thing is though, a lot of the converts are the ones stepping up when nobody else will.
I don't see "a desire" IRL. But there have always been crustyoldfart Catholics that still think converts are second class and should not hold certain positions.
I usually have fun reminding them that all 12 apostles plus one virgin were converts.

Upvote 0

Davidnic

Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2006
✟788,967.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
As a Cradle Catholic I have to say I see far more Cradle Catholics pretending to be guardians of a culture they know nothing about. They act at times with converts like they have a trademark on Catholicism. But really many do not understand their own faith. Catechesis has been so poor over the last 40 years that many do not know their faith. So even the argument that there is a Catholic sensibility or imagination does not hold for them. They were raised with the name Catholic but not the faith. They are not infused with a union with a Catholic sensibility...in fact they have it much less than many converts.

Now, is there something to be said for being raised in a home that has sacramentals and a Catholic center and core that makes you different...indeed. And it is the converts who will be raising their children in those homes because they know the faith.

Upvote 0

Open Heart

Aug 3, 2014
Southern California
✟49,214.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Celibate

Continued below.

I agree. My conversion took years. And then it took MORE years after the conversion. A lot of cultural things especially still hung on for a while, things that just kind of bugged me, that don't bug me any mroe.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums