Wisconsin, United States of America
✟652,047.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Yes, and, again, why does anyone need a semiautomatic weapon?

Already answered by me in posts 210 and 236. Nothing has changed since then.

• Agree
Reactions: Gigimo
Upvote 0

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟832,904.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
But guns make it so much easier.
Reminds me of the story about the passionate old Christian lady who was accosted on the street by a mugger. She said at him in a loud voice: "Acts 2"38!" The mugger got frightened and ran away down the street. He was caught by the police, and they asked him why did he take fright and run away from a defenceless old lady? He said, "Because she told me she has an axe and 2 .38s!

Upvote 0

Aldebaran

NCC-1701-A
Christian Forums Staff
Purple Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2009
✟652,047.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
So, a bolt-action rifle cannot be used for self defense?

It can be if the defense situation can be handled with one shot and you know you won't miss. Not wise to count on that being the case.

Upvote 0

Archivist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 5, 2004
Morgantown, West Virginia, USA
✟571,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Already answered by me in posts 210 and 236. Nothing has changed since then.
No, Post 210 is discussing handguns. Post 236 is discussing shotguns. Neither mentions bolt-action rifles.

Upvote 0

Archivist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 5, 2004
✟571,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
It can be if the defense situation can be handled with one shot and you know you won't miss. Not wise to count on that being the case.
I don't think my grandfather would have missed, and he would have reloaded if he had.

Upvote 0

Aldebaran

NCC-1701-A
Christian Forums Staff
Purple Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2009
✟652,047.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
No, Post 210 is discussing handguns. Post 236 is discussing shotguns. Neither mentions bolt-action rifles.

But it does explain why someone would need a semi auto versus a bolt action.

Upvote 0

Aldebaran

NCC-1701-A
Christian Forums Staff
Purple Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2009
✟652,047.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I don't think my grandfather would have missed, and he would have reloaded if he had.

Are you talking about hunting again? If so, then it would be safe enough to count on a reload, although the animal he missed may very well have run away and be long gone after being frightened by the first missed shot. A semiauto allows for faster follow-up shots as needed.
If you're talking about a defense situation, there will most likely be no time for reloading after each miss. Plus, you'd have to hope your attacker will have to reload if he shoots at you and misses.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Gigimo

Dec 6, 2015
Ohio
✟96,387.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
People have hunted with semi automatic rifles/shotguns/pistols for over 100 years but for some reason it wasn't an issue/big thing until it became an emotional political talking point, go figure. :doh:

Upvote 0

Archivist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 5, 2004
✟571,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Are you talking about hunting again? If so, then it would be safe enough to count on a reload, although the animal he missed may very well have run away and be long gone after being frightened by the first missed shot. A semiauto allows for faster follow-up shots as needed.
If you're talking about a defense situation, there will most likely be no time for reloading after each miss. Plus, you'd have to hope your attacker will have to reload if he shoots at you and misses.
You aren’t getting my point—my grandfather was a WWI sharpshooter. He rarely if ever missed.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟832,904.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
That might be justified if trams were regularly used as weapons in mass murders.
Well, criminals could have their wrists slapped with a wet tram ticket!

Upvote 0

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟832,904.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
You aren’t getting my point—my grandfather was a WWI sharpshooter. He rarely if ever missed.
So he wasn't in the same position as the unsuccessful Scottish hunter who went out into the fog and mist! :)

• Haha
Reactions: JacksBratt
Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Why worry about whether rocket man gets a nuke? Nukes don’t kill people, people kill people!
Spoons and forks cause obesity.

The US has had Nukes for many decades but we are too fat to use anymore?

• Haha
Reactions: JacksBratt
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Archivist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 5, 2004
✟571,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
But there are some towns/cities in the US that do.
My understanding is that while some places have such ordinances on the books they are rarely if ever enforced.

Upvote 0

Gigimo

Dec 6, 2015
Ohio
✟96,387.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
My understanding is that while some places have such ordinances on the books they are rarely if ever enforced.

That may well be true but the law is on the books and as some folks like to claim/think that just because there is a law on something it has to/will be followed to the letter and it will stop people from doing bad things. :doh:

Not...

Upvote 0

JacksBratt

Searching for Truth
Site Supporter
Jul 5, 2014
✟570,686.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
That may well be true but the law is on the books and as some folks like to claim/think that just because there is a law on something it has to/will be followed to the letter and it will stop people from doing bad things. :doh:

Not...
The US constitution purposefully put the second amendment in the document so that the Nation of the USA could never have a government, or other country, that could take advantage and suppress the people of that country, by force, without resistance.

The people of the US in it's infancy had just separated from England and were making a new country. They did it by force because that's the way it is done.. No country gives up without trying military action to stop the separation.

Today, in a world where "New World Government" is commonplace... why do you think that the powers that be would want to try to remove firearms from the US?

To protect it's civilians from themselves? Hardly.....

No, it's so that when, not if but when, the government wants to start to oppress the people.. they will have no way to fight back.

I don't care if it's Canada or the US... people should always be allowed to have firearms.....

The US put it in their legal constitution. If that is ever overturned.. be prepared for civil war II.

Upvote 0

Archivist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 5, 2004
✟571,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat

Not...
Salt Lake City has an ordinance that allows Santa to fly over the city at low altitudes on Christmas Eve, but I don’t know that he does.

Upvote 0

Aldebaran

NCC-1701-A
Christian Forums Staff
Purple Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2009
✟652,047.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
But you said that they addressed bolt-action guns. They did not.

Ok, what about bolt action guns do you want addressed, concerning either hunting or self defense?

Upvote 0