• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.

New Zealand Cardinal asks laity to stop calling priests 'father' to fight 'clericalism'

Discussion in 'One Bread, One Body - Catholic' started by Michie, Apr 15, 2019.

1. Michie

Michie Perch Perkins. Catholic reporter. ;) Supporter

+20,887
    Catholic
    Married
    US-Others
    We teamed up with Faith Counseling. Can they help you today?
  2. Monk Brendan

Monk Brendan Well-Known Member Supporter

+2,381
    United States
    Melkite Catholic
    Private
    US-Others
  3. Michie

Michie Perch Perkins. Catholic reporter. ;) Supporter

+20,887
    Catholic
    Married
    US-Others
    Great question. :thumbsup:

4. ~Matteus~

~Matteus~ Quadriga is the way through Scripture! Supporter

+6,195
    Norway
    Traditional. Cath.
    Single
    Perhaps the cardinal should just become a protestant instead :oldthumbsup:

5. Mark_Sam

Mark_Sam Newbie

+317
    Norway
    Catholic
    Single
    From the missive:
    Yes. Yes it is. Spiritual fatherhood is at the core of the priesthood.
    My very soul depends on the Sarcaments of Confession and of the Eucharist. And only a priest can administer those. So I wouldn't call it an unhealthy dependence.
    Man, this dude (as I think His Eminence would prefer to be called) just keep missing the target. I don't want the priest to be my equal. I want him to act in persona Christi.

Fun fact: Here in Norway, we call our priests by the Latin pater. Actually, you're supposed to call (secular) priests pastor, as pater is reserved for the priests of religious orders. But no one follows this rule - we call all the priests pater. The Norwegian equivalent fader never really caught on, at least where I live.

6. football5680

football5680 Well-Known Member

+1,423
    Catholic
    Single
    If I just read the arguments without knowing the author, I would have said that a Protestant wrote it, especially with the first argument that was given. He didn't even explain why we call Priests "father."

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  7. Rhamiel

Rhamiel Member of the Round Table

+8,535
    Catholic
    Single
    The anglosphere is really kinda horrible tbh

8. Bob Crowley

Bob Crowley Well-Known Member Supporter

+284
    Australia
    Catholic
    Married
    I'm not going to criticise Cardinal Dew, but I will make a couple of comments. First of all he's echoing a French priest, Fr. Jean-Pierre Roche, who apparently wrote an article addressing the issue. Secondly Australians and New Zealanders are pretty casual when it comes to names - we'll most likely call our boss by his first name, and I wouldn't be surprised if that even applied to the police force.

That said, I sometimes think there's not enough formality these days. When I was Presbyterian, the pastor was a stickler for formality. I prefer "Bob", but he always said "Robert" which of course is my full name. And he expected his title to be used eg. Mr..... Mind you, he would return the favour and use the title of other people.

And he nearly always wore his clerical garb.

I never asked him about that, but I overheard someone asking him once why he always wore it, including the "dog collar". It's pretty hot in our climate for several months of the year, and with tight collar, no buttons, long sleeves and long trousers, it would not have been the most comfortable choice of clothing.

His reply in part - "... people know what I stand for...". Now if were to walk around town, I could quite possibly pass a priest and unless I happened to know him, I wouldn't have a clue what he stood for.

I think we need a bit more formality sometimes - not less.