New York legislature votes to legalize abortion up to birth, let non-doctors commit

redleghunter

Thank You Jesus!
Site Supporter
Mar 18, 2014
Texas
✟176,076.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
ALBANY, New York, January 22, 2019 (LifeSiteNews) – Both chambers of the New York state legislature voted Tuesday on legislation to enshrine a “fundamental right” to abortion in state law and eliminate protections for preborn babies until birth, in votes set to mark the anniversary of Roe v. Wade.

The state Senate voted 38-24 in favor of the so-called “Reproductive Health Act” Tuesday evening, the Albany Times-Union reports, a bill that has repeatedly cleared the state Assembly in years past but been blocked by the formerly-Republican Senate. Following the Senate vote, the Assembly passed it 92-47.

The bill declares that “Every individual who becomes pregnant has the fundamental right to choose to carry the pregnancy to term, to give birth to a child, or to have an abortion,” erases the state’s recognition of preborn babies older than 24 weeks as potential homicide victims, removes abortion from the penal code entirely, and allows licensed health practitioners other than full doctors to commit abortions.

“We have a president who's made it very, very clear that he wants to overturn Roe v. Wade,” Senate Majority Leader Andrea Stewart-Cousins declared before the vote. “Today, here in New York, we are saying no [...] and we're not just saying no. We're saying that here in New York, women's health matters. We're saying here in New York, women's lives matter. We're saying here in New York, women's decisions matter.”

The Times-Union suggests the bill would allow “late-stage” abortions only if the mother’s “health” is endangered or if the baby is deemed non-viable, but the New York State Right to Life Committee warns that the bill would go much further in practice.

More at link: New York legislature votes to legalize abortion up to birth, let non-doctors commit abortions

dzheremi

Coptic Orthodox non-Egyptian
Aug 27, 2014
✟429,184.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
The bill declares that “Every individual who becomes pregnant has the fundamental right to choose to carry the pregnancy to term, to give birth to a child, or to have an abortion

You mean every woman who is not aborted before they ever have a chance to have a baby, or to do anything else for that matter. That's going to be a lot fewer women now, but I guess those women don't matter. If they did, presumably they'd get to live.

“We have a president who's made it very, very clear that he wants to overturn Roe v. Wade,” Senate Majority Leader Andrea Stewart-Cousins declared before the vote. “Today, here in New York, we are saying no [...] and we're not just saying no. We're saying that here in New York, women's health matters. We're saying here in New York, women's lives matter. We're saying here in New York, women's decisions matter.”

Aborted would-have-eventually-been women, though? No such luck. They matter so little that being able to murder them on demand at any point is a fundamental right now in New York.

Words can not describe the evil involved in this kind of action. Lord have mercy.

Upvote 0

redleghunter

Thank You Jesus!
Site Supporter
Mar 18, 2014
Texas
✟176,076.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
You mean every woman who is not aborted before they ever have a chance to have a baby, or to do anything else for that matter. That's going to be a lot fewer women now, but I guess those women don't matter. If they did, presumably they'd get to live.

Aborted would-have-eventually-been women, though? No such luck. They matter so little that being able to murder them on demand at any point is a fundamental right now in New York.

Words can not describe the evil involved in this kind of action. Lord have mercy.
Have to research further but it looks like this bill scrubs any fetal homicide laws. Meaning a woman who chooses to keep her child in the womb gets hit by a drunk driver, she survives but the child dies the state of NY will no longer prosecute.

Upvote 0

Varangian Christian

Site Supporter
Dec 24, 2018
Nova Scotia
✟53,830.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I know this isn't very Orthodox of me to say, but...
its-crusade-o-amp-039-clock_o_7004993.jpg

Upvote 0

nChrist

AKA: Tom - Saved By Grace Through Faith
Site Supporter
Mar 21, 2003
Oklahoma, USA
✟902,160.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Each day brings a greater progression into lawlessness.

This would be without mentioning immorality, cruelty, and unthinkable acts.

Upvote 0

grandvizier1006

I don't use this anymore, but I still follow Jesus
Site Supporter
Dec 2, 2014
MS
✟664,118.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
The part that scares me is the "removes recognition of pre-term babies older than 24 weeks as homicide victims". I was born prematurely and had to stay in the hosptal for about 70 days before I could go home. By this bill's logic, if I was born today in New York under the same conditions I could have been intentionally killed after being born in the hospital and not considered a murder victim, unless I'm reading this wrong. Edit: I think I read this law wrong. I can't find much about pre-term babies not being considered victims of homicide if they are killed past 24 weeks other than Lifesitenews, unless a pre-term baby is now automatically considered non-viable. But what the law does say is that any licensed physician, regardless of their specialty, can perform an abortion past 24 weeks if the mother's life is in danger. There doesn't need to be a second physician present. A doctor can hypothetically lie and say that a woman's life is in danger. Or, the baby can be seen as "not viable" and aborted at any time. I doubt there will be another Kermit Gosnell scenario but it seems that late-term abortions are easier under the new law. In addition, abortion is removed from the penal code, so a woman who wanted to carry her baby to term could theoretically have an abortion against her will and not be able to press charges. So in my case, if I was born in New York today a doctor could have suggested to my mother to abort me and my twin brother prior to our birth, if my mother was injured while pregnant with us and we died then she might not be able to press charges. Up until the last month of my time in my mother's womb I would be able to be aborted.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Jude1:3Contendforthefaith

Site Supporter
Dec 28, 2017
Arizona
✟530,314.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Ken Rank

Site Supporter
Jan 12, 2014
Winchester, KENtucky
✟308,985.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
ALBANY, New York, January 22, 2019 (LifeSiteNews) – Both chambers of the New York state legislature voted Tuesday on legislation to enshrine a “fundamental right” to abortion in state law and eliminate protections for preborn babies until birth, in votes set to mark the anniversary of Roe v. Wade.

The state Senate voted 38-24 in favor of the so-called “Reproductive Health Act” Tuesday evening, the Albany Times-Union reports, a bill that has repeatedly cleared the state Assembly in years past but been blocked by the formerly-Republican Senate. Following the Senate vote, the Assembly passed it 92-47.

The bill declares that “Every individual who becomes pregnant has the fundamental right to choose to carry the pregnancy to term, to give birth to a child, or to have an abortion,” erases the state’s recognition of preborn babies older than 24 weeks as potential homicide victims, removes abortion from the penal code entirely, and allows licensed health practitioners other than full doctors to commit abortions.

The Times-Union suggests the bill would allow “late-stage” abortions only if the mother’s “health” is endangered or if the baby is deemed non-viable, but the New York State Right to Life Committee warns that the bill would go much further in practice.

More at link: New York legislature votes to legalize abortion up to birth, let non-doctors commit abortions
This is sickening. By the time a woman learns she is pregnant, the baby either has a heartbeat or will within a few days. And now we can kill it months after it would have survived if born prematurely? And what I fear most... that millions of our youth will grow up thinking this is normal and acceptable. :(

Upvote 0

Ken Rank

Site Supporter
Jan 12, 2014
Winchester, KENtucky
✟308,985.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
This is just horrible!!
I am not trying to be funny... I am trying to express how I feel right now. Your statement is an incredible understatement. I am just not sure there are strong enough words to express how dark and evil I see this to be. :(

Upvote 0

Bumble Bee

Disciplemaker
Nov 2, 2007
Held together by Jesus and coffee
✟697,781.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I am not trying to be funny... I am trying to express how I feel right now. Your statement is an incredible understatement. I am just not sure there are strong enough words to express how dark and evil I see this to be. :(

I ran out of words.

• Friendly
Reactions: Ken Rank
Upvote 0

paul1149

that your faith might rest in the power of God
Site Supporter
Mar 22, 2011
NY
✟674,964.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
The part that scares me is the "removes recognition of pre-term babies older than 24 weeks as homicide victims".
It also removes any special consideration under law for pregnant women who are victims of violent crime. Previously they had this as some kind of shield against violence, but now it will be gone, if I understand the bill correctly.

With both houses in Albany under Democrat control, this is what you get. And Cuomo promised in his inaugural two weeks ago to make NY the leading state in progressivism.

Basically, in accordance with the rest of humanism, it comes down to moral relativism: you are a person only if I say you are, and that will happen only if you're convenient to me. I am the judge of everything, and the world revolves around my self-interest. It is the death of conscience (though a form of conscience will persist, it will be politicized by the powerful through control of information, and it will be false), and society without conscience is not a pretty thing to contemplate.

It's getting very ugly out there. And that means there are souls who will become aware of their need to be Saved.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Arcangl86

Dec 29, 2013
✟346,615.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
Has anybody here actually read the bill? Abortions are still illegal after 24 weeks. What has changed is that it is no longer a criminal offense, abortions after 24 weeks can now occur in case of danger to the mother's health, and nonsurgical abortions can now be performed by Physician Assistants, Nurse Practitioners, and Nurse Midwives.

Upvote 0

redleghunter

Thank You Jesus!
Site Supporter
Mar 18, 2014
Texas
✟176,076.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Has anybody here actually read the bill? Abortions are still illegal after 24 weeks. What has changed is that it is no longer a criminal offense, abortions after 24 weeks can now occur in case of danger to the mother's health, and nonsurgical abortions can now be performed by Physician Assistants, Nurse Practitioners, and Nurse Midwives.
Which means no more fetal homicide
Law.

Upvote 0

redleghunter

Thank You Jesus!
Site Supporter
Mar 18, 2014
Texas
✟176,076.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
With both houses in Albany under Democrat control, this is what you get. And Cuomo promised in his inaugural two weeks ago to make NY the leading state in progressivism.
Indeed and I’m surprised it took this long for this to happen.

Upvote 0