New Years celebrations..

Born_to_try

Nov 22, 2004
Visit site
✟16,977.00
I'm a bit confused as to what's the right thing to do. There's nothing on for young people at church at New Year, and I want to be with my friends/they want to be with me. My best friends aren't Christians so they're going out to pubs and venues and stuff.
Now before I came back to Christ I used to go out drinking a lot, and now things have changed and I've not wanted to go out for a few reasons, a couple being temptation of alchohol and the very wordly atmosphere. So now New Year's rolled around there's a service at church that I could go to with my Dad, but I really want to be with my friends. So I'm meant to be going out with them and just not drinking, but I don't really want to be in the kind of atmosphere there is out at these places on New Years eve.. :( (and I've already considered asking them to service at church with me but that doesn't even sound too appealing to me, never mind them!) So there's my situation. Has anyone got any advice for me?

LiberatedChick

Contributor
Jun 28, 2004
UK
✟21,289.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I used to be the same...liked to drink, no actually...I liked to get drunk. At first it was just at family parties when there was something to celebrate, then it grew into being something I just did at home for no reason other than to get drunk.

I figured that I'm always going to get invited to family parties and I'm going to want to go and be with them...nothing's going to change that. But what can change is the amount I drink. So be with your friends and either try to find somewhere that's not too bad (yeah, I imagine that's hard to do especially on new years eve when everyone on the streets and in the pubs seems to have drunk waaaay too much) or maybe gather at one of their houses. Is that a possibility?? A new years eve party at home? Either way set a good example to them and others whether that be no drink or a limit so that you don't get drunk.

Upvote 0

Febe

Dec 13, 2005
Gothenburg, Sweden.
✟4,260.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
;) I would say as LiberatedChick; go with Your friends, and be a good example for them!

You can pray for tham before You meet them.:crossrc:

And eat a lot before the evening also, so that You stay resonably sober...:yum:

:amen: And, not less important, have more fun than any of them, so they do not fel sorry for You, being a Christian, but rather envy You...:clap:

Upvote 0

ephraimanesti

Senior Veteran
Nov 22, 2005
Seattle, WA
✟23,171.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Born_to_try said:
I'm a bit confused as to what's the right thing to do. There's nothing on for young people at church at New Year, and I want to be with my friends/they want to be with me. My best friends aren't Christians so they're going out to pubs and venues and stuff.
Now before I came back to Christ I used to go out drinking a lot, and now things have changed and I've not wanted to go out for a few reasons, a couple being temptation of alchohol and the very wordly atmosphere. So now New Year's rolled around there's a service at church that I could go to with my Dad, but I really want to be with my friends. So I'm meant to be going out with them and just not drinking, but I don't really want to be in the kind of atmosphere there is out at these places on New Years eve.. :( (and I've already considered asking them to service at church with me but that doesn't even sound too appealing to me, never mind them!) So there's my situation. Has anyone got any advice for me?

MY DEAR BROTHER IN CHRIST,

In all honesty, your Posting has gotten me seriously confused. After reading it though several times, i still have no clue what you REALLY--in your Heart--want to do. You already know what the right thing to do is, and it appears to me that you are looking for someone to give you an escape clause to get you off the hook.
MY SUGGESTION IS TO DO WHAT YOU ALREADY KNOW IS RIGHT--NEW YEARS EVE SHOULD BE DEDICATED TO YOUR LORD, NOT TO A BUNCH OF PARTYING WORLDLY FRIENDS! (You knew that already, didn't you? ;) )

MUCH LOVE IN CHRIST--MAY HE BLESS YOUR NEW YEAR!

ephraimanesti

Upvote 0

Im-revived

Working for God, through our Lord.
May 5, 2005
England
✟7,494.00
Faith
Christian
Politics
UK-Labour
Hey Born to try, your in the same position as me love, I many years ago was an alcoholic, had a detox and came of drink, then became a Christian and havn't even the wish to drink. Many have asked me out but I've said No obviously because of the drink. But see what we are doing were on Cfs, yea theres less than a 1000 on at present, but we ARE actually doing something spiritual, rather than drinking spirits. So if your like me come on here, watch movie, have a go at one of your Hobbys, before you know it tomorrow will be here and maybe just pop in another church tomorrow, I would have thought one would be open at least. Try having a walk, ask the Lord and he'll tell you!

Im-revived
Born_to_try said:

Upvote 0