New Transparent Spray-on Coating For Windows Can Block Heat And Conduct Electricity For Cheap...

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,666,494.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
...Smart Solution

After the Empire State Building in New York reported installing smart glass windows, they cut energy usage by $2.4 million and their carbon emissions by 4,000 metric tons, but smart windows are costly.

That’s why news of a new transparent spray-on coating that is much more cost-effective—while providing similar performance—is worth shouting from the tops of skyscrapers.

The simple method for adding a clear coating to existing windows to block heat and also conduct electricity could radically cut the cost of energy-saving smart windows and heat-repelling glass.

The spray-on coatings developed by researchers at RMIT University in Melbourne, Australia, are ultra-thin, and rival the performance of current industry standards for transparent electrodes.

Transparent electrodes combine the best properties of glass and metals in a single component, which is a highly conductive clear coating that allows visible light through. Those coatings—key components of smart windows, touchscreen displays, LED lighting and solar panels—are currently made through time-consuming processes that rely on expensive raw materials.

Continued below.
New Transparent Spray-on Coating For Windows Can Block Heat And Conduct Electricity For Cheap Smart Solution

Reactions: childeye 2

JohnDB

May 16, 2007
nashville
✟53,921.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
...Smart Solution

After the Empire State Building in New York reported installing smart glass windows, they cut energy usage by $2.4 million and their carbon emissions by 4,000 metric tons, but smart windows are costly.

That’s why news of a new transparent spray-on coating that is much more cost-effective—while providing similar performance—is worth shouting from the tops of skyscrapers.

The simple method for adding a clear coating to existing windows to block heat and also conduct electricity could radically cut the cost of energy-saving smart windows and heat-repelling glass.

The spray-on coatings developed by researchers at RMIT University in Melbourne, Australia, are ultra-thin, and rival the performance of current industry standards for transparent electrodes.

Transparent electrodes combine the best properties of glass and metals in a single component, which is a highly conductive clear coating that allows visible light through. Those coatings—key components of smart windows, touchscreen displays, LED lighting and solar panels—are currently made through time-consuming processes that rely on expensive raw materials.

Continued below.
New Transparent Spray-on Coating For Windows Can Block Heat And Conduct Electricity For Cheap Smart Solution

Ohhhh....this one is really good news.

And when they finalize the mass production protocols and implement them this will be easily combined into regular construction projects and homes... although homes will likely be last. (Cheapest window rules)

But since every new building has to pass Leeds Certification these days in order to get permitted...it's going to be cheaper than solar powered lights. (Less maintenance)

And it can drastically reduce the expense of cooling a building in the southern half of America. (Heating in the winter is not as much a concern as cooling is in the summer)

Already triple pane windows are almost a standard for exterior windows...they appear as double pane but usually the very outtermost is two sheets of laminated glass.

Reactions: Michie
Upvote 0

JohnDB

May 16, 2007
nashville
✟53,921.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Awesome! I can buy a can, spray my car door window!

When i take it on to the beach, i can leave the window up! Superb!

No...not going to be able to work like that...

It's two chemicals and only one is sprayed on and then baked.
It's the ease of application process and inexpensive materials that makes this doable.

Upvote 0

Lost4words

Jesus I Trust In You
Site Supporter
May 19, 2018
Neath, Wales, UK
✟1,012,052.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
No...not going to be able to work like that...

It's two chemicals and only one is sprayed on and then baked.
It's the ease of application process and inexpensive materials that makes this doable.

I have an oven! Gas mark. 4?

Upvote 0

JohnDB

May 16, 2007
nashville
✟53,921.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I have an oven! Gas mark. 4?
Read the complete article and you will see...it's a bit more complicated than that...not a lot more but temperature control is probably important and your average household oven can range 100 degrees (50 high to 50 low) from the settings.

Upvote 0

Lost4words

Jesus I Trust In You
Site Supporter
May 19, 2018
Neath, Wales, UK
✟1,012,052.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Read the complete article and you will see...it's a bit more complicated than that...not a lot more but temperature control is probably important and your average household oven can range 100 degrees (50 high to 50 low) from the settings.

I was joking my friend...lol

• Friendly
Reactions: JohnDB
Upvote 0

Bob Crowley

Site Supporter
Dec 27, 2015
Logan City
✟756,721.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Goodbye bulky old esky!! I'll be able to put a whole carton of bottled beer with the top open in the back of the hatchback, and they'll stay cold the whole way, while providing power to keep the coffee hot!

I'm intrigued though as to how they can produce and conduct electricity and how much power they'll generate.

Last edited:
Upvote 0