Jul 30, 2006
Hailsham, England
✟15,198.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hi,

I'm looking to read more about reformed theology, having watched R.C. Sproul on tv, I have begun to think that there might be something in the Reformed Theology viewpoint.
I would be grateful if someone could recommend teaching, that would set out reformed thinking for a newbie.

Thanks

Oberland

Elderone

Mar 31, 2004
SW PA
✟11,217.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Hi,

I'm looking to read more about reformed theology, having watched R.C. Sproul on tv, I have begun to think that there might be something in the Reformed Theology viewpoint.
I would be grateful if someone could recommend teaching, that would set out reformed thinking for a newbie.

Thanks

Oberland

I recommend the following, which really can be understood by those of us who don't have a Doctorate in theology.

1) The Westminster Confession of Faith
2) The Westminster Larger Catechism
3) The Westminster Shorter Catechism
4) Calvin Institutes of the Christian Religion
5) The Reformed Doctrine of Predestination by Loraine Boettner (great book)

Welcome...........

Upvote 0

Elderone

Mar 31, 2004
SW PA
✟11,217.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
You might also consider picking up The Reformation Study Bible which is edited by Sproul.

This Bible is easy to understand and has good notes. Also, if you go to http://www.e-sword.net/ you can download the Westminster documents, a number of versions of the Bible, Bible commentaries and numerous other aids, free. A very worthwhile group of software to have handy for your study.

Upvote 0

GrinningDwarf

Just a humble servant
Mar 30, 2005
✟19,311.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
In addition to The Reformation Study Bible already mentioned, here is a Basic Reformed Annotated Reading List, which an eye towards contemporary writings. The classics already mentioned are all great sources, but they can be tough for modern minds to wrap themselves around. The authors of the sources I list here would all point back to sources such as The Westminster Confession of Faith and all those others, but these might be an easier intro to Reformed theology for you:

Putting Amazing Back into Grace: Who Does What in Salvation? By Michael Horton; 1991; Baker Books: This is a good entry-level layman’s introduction to Reformed theology. Horton’s book is very ‘reader friendly’. Horton examines such basic Reformed positions as the 5-points of Calvinism, the effect of the fall upon man, and free will. Horton also explains the Reformed views of baptism and the Lord’s Supper. One drawback is that Horton does not really examine covenant theology in this book.

What is Reformed Theology? Understanding the Basics by RC Sproul; 1997; Baker Books: This book, as indicated by the title, covers the basics of Reformed theology. Sproul’s book is a little more technical than Horton’s book, in that Sproul sprinkles Latin theological terms throughout; however, he always explains them and includes a glossary of foreign terms at the back of the book. This is a solid book that sketches covenant theology and the 5-points of Calvinism.

The Doctrines of Grace: Rediscovering the Evangelical Gospel by James Montgomery Boice and Philip Graham Ryken; 2002; Crossway Books: A very reader friendly presentation of the 5-points of Calvinism. The opening chapter is titled ‘Why Evangelicalism Needs Calvinism’, and the final two chapters are titled ‘The True Calvinist’ and ‘Calvinism at Work’. I believe that Boice makes a compelling case for the relevance of Calvinism to modern Christianity. If someone were to choose one book on Reformed theology, this would be a good one.

Chosen by God by RC Sproul; 1986; Tyndale: This book deals specifically with the Reformed views of predestination, free will, and foreknowledge, and how they operate in our salvation. This was the book that convinced me that Reformed theology actually handles the scriptures more accurately than any other viewpoint I have encountered in Christianity.

Willing to Believe: The Controversy Over Free Will by RC Sproul; 1997; Baker Books: A detailed look at the views of free will over the centuries of Christianity. Sproul covers the views of Pelagius, Augustine, Semi-Pelagians, Martin Luther, John Calvin, James Arminius, Jonathan Edwards, Charles Finney, and Lewis Sperry Chafer. If you are a Christian, you will find your position on free will described in this book, and compared to all of the other views.

God of Promise: Introducing Covenant Theology by Michael Horton; 2006; Baker Books: This book is an excellent primer on covenant theology. What is covenant theology? It is an opposing view to the omnipresent dispensational view. Dispensationalism breaks human history down into seven different time periods in which God worked using different methods with different peoples, and is largely responsible for the prevalent end-times view of premillenial, pre-tribulation rapture. Covenant theology interprets scripture to say that God basically only works in two ways…the covenant of works and the covenant of grace.

Debating Calvinism: Five points, Two Views by Dave Hunt and James White; 2004; Multnomah Publishers: From the back cover: “Calvinism has been a topic of intense discussion for centuries. In this lively debate, two passionate thinkers take opposing sides, providing valuable responses to the most frequently asked questions about Calvinism.” Hunt actually verbalizes many of the objections raised by those reading the above books. It is useful to read White’s responses to those objections.

Upvote 0

AndOne

Deliver me oh Lord, from evil men
Apr 20, 2002
Florida
✟20,928.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Welcome Bra!

I know the Reformation Study Bible has been mentioned but I'd also recommend the "Spirit Of The Reformation Study Bible" which is NIV but it also includes the Westminster Confession of Faith (shorter and larger), The Heidelberg Cathechism, The Belgic Confession, and the Canons of Dort.

Upvote 0
Sep 1, 2003
Centralia, WA
Visit site
✟261.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
Oberland,

There are many books to read concerning Reformed Theology. I believe that the best introduction is The Sovereignty of God by A.W. Pink. He writes in a style that is clear and concise. Now, there are two versions of this book. One is published by Banner of Truth and the other by Baker Publishing. I strongly recommend reading the one published by Baker. I am pretty sure that you can read it online for free. I hope this helps my Brother!

Upvote 0

hedrick

Senior Veteran
Supporter
Feb 8, 2009
New Jersey
✟1,147,348.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
If you're going to read Calvin, his Biblical commentaries are also worth looking at. I refer to the Institutes all the time, but Calvin was probably a stronger Biblical scholar than theologian. In contrast, Luther was a more interesting theologian, but not as strong a Biblical scholar.

I concur in recommending R.C. Sproul, if you're interested in the conservative side of current Reformed thought.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

DuaneG

Maranatha
Aug 23, 2010
Foley, AL
Visit site
✟7,668.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
jaol,
The one thing that helped convince me of this Truth that I was struggling against was Matt Chandler, you can listen to him at TheVillageChurch.net, go to his Resource tab, under studies and seminars listen to "Does God have two wills?" in the Doctrine series and the "Dwell Deep Fall" series, then go to his Sermons and listen to Ephesians 1.
Another great teacher, Mark Driscoll at MarsHillChurch.net

Upvote 0