Canada
✟7,666.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
In Relationship
Hello,
I'm new here. My name is Paige :)

I have always been spiritual but never formally religious. I have never had religious guidance. I have never been to church.
I am currently looking for a Christian denomination to be a part of, but I'm not sure where I would fit in.
If anyone who is Christian could please tell me

1. which denomination you are part of, and why.
2. what are your specific beliefs

Thank you for reading, if you don't answer :)

banish'd

Shekinah Glory
Feb 6, 2010
San Francisco
✟15,776.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Hello paige,

Some people believe that the Spirit leads them into a church, but I kind of lean towards a person's family background. If your family background is Catholic then you will probably feel much more comfortable going to Mass. If your background is Protestant, then I would suggest going that route. If you are single, then one of the mega-churches with a large singles ministry may be best for you?

I belong to a Vineyard Church.

Upvote 0

jacks

Er Victus
Site Supporter
Jun 29, 2010
Northwest US
✟672,856.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
There are many good churches and denominations out there. You might start by thinking about what you believe then researching a bit on the internet about different churches to find one that is close to your beliefs.

I had no family history in religion at all so kind of started from scratch (although banish'd idea is good if your family went to church.) I ended up at the United Methodists church because they seemed to focus both on the spiritual and practical needs of people. They also were flexible enough to allow for my occasional quirks or confusions. (I don't want to sound like I'm trying to "sell" any particular denomination so I'll stop there.) Remember if you don't feel comfortable at the church you first attend, it doesn't mean you have to keep going. I believe it is important to associate with a group of like minded people, it is fun and should make you feel better about life in general.

Upvote 0

SharonL

Senior Veteran
Oct 15, 2005
Texas
Visit site
✟23,316.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I am on the other side where all I have ever known is going to church - Raised Protestant, married Catholic, became Lutheran to meet in the middle - became Spirit Filled and like the non-denomination.

Just focus on a church that teaches the Word and does not dwell on all the man-made rules that they seem to like to put upon us - they are so busy telling us the things we can't do and fail to tell us what God can do.

Your heart will tell you when you are where the Lord wants you to be - but your main focus should be upon the leading of the Holy Spirit and just worship and not upon all our works and rules and regulations.

Just go with an open mind and talk to Jesus - and ask the Holy Spirit to lead you - you will be fine, just don't let all the do's and don'ts confuse you - just listen to the Holy Spirit.

Upvote 0

chilehed

Veteran
Jul 31, 2003
Michigan
✟237,116.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Hello,

I have always been spiritual but never formally religious. I have never had religious guidance. I have never been to church.
I am currently looking for a Christian denomination to be a part of, but I'm not sure where I would fit in.

Hello, Paige, and welcome to the forums.

I was raised in a mix of Methodist and Calvinist traditions, but today I'm a member of the Roman Rite of the Catholic Church. I entered the Church about 6 years ago because the Holy Spirit speaking to me in Sacred Scripture led me to understand that Christ promised that his Church would last forever, would be always visible and would teach true doctrine every day, forever. Based on that I had to abandon every denomination that arose out of the Reformation, and in the end I realised that the only Church that has existed since the time of Christ is the Catholic Church.

As for my specific beliefs, I have a lot of them. A good place to start is here: USCCB - Catechism of the Catholic Church

I love being a member of the Catholic Church, and today my relationship with Christ is vastly deeper than anything I ever imagined it could be when I was a non-Catholic. My prayers are with you as you look for a home.

You might be struggling with the idea that my reasoning is circular because I believe that the Bible is inspired by God. Allow me to explain: I began by assuming that the biblical texts were no more inspired than any other ancient work. The question then was "are they reliable records of historical events?" There are specific standards by which one answers that question, and by those standards we find that indeed the texts are reliable records. So we have reliable records that show that Jesus of Nazareth performed acts that prove him to be God, and that he established a teaching authority that would never teach false doctrine. Finally, that teaching authority has declared as a matter of doctrine that the biblical texts have God as their primary author, and so "firmly, faithfully and without error teach that truth which God, for the sake of our salvation, wished to see confided to the Sacred Scriptures" (Catechism paragraph 107). So you see that the reasoning is not circular at all.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

childofGod31

May 13, 2006
✟17,291.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Hello,

I think that becoming formally religious is a step in the wrong direction. Leading a spiritual life, a true life in God's Spirit is the step in the right direction. This does not require to be associated with any kind of man made religious organization.

There are hundreds of different religious organizations, all man made. The reason that I say that is because any organization came to be because of how some man understood something from the Bible. Many of them don't understand correctly. So to follow them, to join them, would be the case of "blind leading the blind".

The Bible said that God can teach us directly and we don't need anyone's guidance. I mean it's good to have guidance, but what if you are guided by a misguided person? It would be a treasure to find a person who would guide you correctly. But how would you be able to know that it's the right person/group? You can't know. That's why, as far as TEACHING and GUIDANCE, it's best to be "spiritual" as you said, not formally religious. See verses below.
(But if you seek fellowship, you can find it just by meeting people and talking with them to see if they are standing on the same path as you. They could be your friends, or relatives or neighbors... Or join any church near you and talk to people and see if you can find like-minded ones.

I think that some people inside of churches have a little bit different thinking than their church leadership and they stay there just because it's their home base. So the main thing in finding fellowship, is not in what is being preached (by ONE person there, the pastor), but by finding out what the individual people really believe there and develop a relationship with them: visit them and fellowship with them.

It's like when we are looking for a spouse: we meet different people and talk to different people. And then we connect with one of them, and marry them.

Joh 14:26 But the Comforter, which is the Holy Ghost, whom the Father will send in my name, he shall teach you all things,

1Jn 2:27 As for you, the anointing you received from him remains in you, and you do not need anyone to teach you. But as his anointing teaches you about all things and as that anointing is real, not counterfeit—just as it has taught you, remain in him

Mat 23:10 Nor are you to be called 'teacher,' for you have one Teacher, the Christ.

Upvote 0

Look Up

"What is unseen is eternal"
Jul 16, 2010
✟16,230.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Hi paige_w!

I appreciate your question and commitment. I recently saw a statistical chart somewhere that suggested the number of churches per --um-- 10,000 people in the US (presuming Canada is similar) has declined steadily in the last century and more ... suggesting your choices may be limited--I mean, how many miles can you drive to church each week?

On the other hand, the breadth of doctrine and practice among existing churches, in my understanding, is broad, placing you in a precarious position since what you believe matters, and engages intellect, emotions, will, and heart.

Life is a test, and your choice matters, although practically it may be limited by your access to churches in your local area.

From my perspective, I recommend that you read the Bible cover to cover and decide which church follows the Bible most closely. I would further recommend that you pay particular attention to three areas: (1) church stance toward the Bible, (2) church view of Jesus and the Trinity, and (3) church understanding of the gospel of Jesus Christ.

My wife and I are members of a church in the Presbyterian Church in America denomination, the largest evangelical and non-mainline Presbyterian group in the US. Our doctrinal statement, as was once popular in the US, are the Westminster Confession of Faith (going back to 1648) along with the Shorter and Larger Catechism. You can find these doctrinal documents online. The site Reformed Theology from R.C. Sproul: Ligonier Ministries has a lot of info. from this perspective.

Perhaps as asides, I would recommend perusing church history books (surveys of church history are available). There are also church history surveys available for Canada and the US. Note similarly the late Frank S. Mead's little volume (various editions) giving brief annotations of denominations. Lastly, a good Bible concordance and dictionary may also prove useful. See Christianbook.com - Shop for Christian Books, Bibles, Music, Homeschool Products, Gifts & more online for a plethora of resources--but in my view, keep the Bible as primary reading.

Of course describing why I attend the church I do and why I believe as I do would be too long for the present format.

Upvote 0

seashale76

Unapologetic Iconodule
Dec 29, 2004
✟173,070.00
Country
United States
Faith
Melkite Catholic
Marital Status
Married
1) My journey to Orthodox Christianity:
I was raised Pentecostal. I wanted to believe that the holy scriptures (Christian) were what they claimed to be, but I had some difficulties, I must admit. It does boil down to the ultimate question of whether God exists or not, and how does one know?

So, since you asked, I'll give you some background info on why I believe. I don't consider what I went through to be a true deconversion. I had been a hard core believer for most of my life and never thought I'd change either. However, when it happened, it was enough for me to post a deconversion testimony on a website for former Christians.

It was heartbreaking for me and I really had a difficult time. I did go through my own dark night of the soul. At the same time, I was also overjoyed with not having to go to church anymore, as I truly lost all sense of church services etc. even being remotely useful or relevant to my life. It all seemed so pointless. I saw this huge disconnect between the Church that the New Testament spoke about and what I was seeing in the Pentecostal, Baptist, and independent Christian churches I had gone to every Sunday and Wednesday of my life.

I didn't consider going to those churches that were considered more 'liberal' because while social justice issues are important, I didn't see the point in calling themselves Christian if they were rejecting the fundamentals of the faith anyway. I figured I could be involved in helping others, be more honest with myself in the process, and sleep in on Sundays. Everything I had ever encountered in Christianity seemed to be well intentioned, but wrong somehow.

I began calling myself a Deist, but I wasn't satisfied with that and started researching other religions and philosophies. I liked Taoism, but I honestly didn't see anything else that I considered worth my time to believe in. I couldn't call myself an atheist because I had a few experiences in my life that made me aware of a spiritual world out there. However, knowing this didn't make finding the truth an easy process, and skeptics had a lot of good questions that I began to examine as my own.

Long story short, I was a jaded and bitter individual. I felt I had good reason to be as I had a lot of negative religious/spiritual experiences. I understand where people are coming from who are angry, because I can relate to an extent. However, my bitterness began to turn into hatred of all things Christian, to the point where I started to see that I was becoming the sort of person I didn't want to be. I didn't like myself at all.

I didn't give up my search though. I read a lot. I sent desperate, pleading prayers out for God (if He even existed) to lead me to the truth. It was coming across Orthodox Christianity on the net that piqued my interest. I thought I knew everything about Christianity- enough to know that all the groups I was familiar with weren't going to cut it for me. I found the only Orthodox book at my local Barnes and Noble and bought the beat up and bent copy of it. I read it, I was cautious about it, I tried to dismiss it (but it kept coming to mind), and I eventually decided that I wanted to go visit an Orthodox church.

If I recall correctly, I think it was the Orthodox teaching on hell that really swayed me. It’s not the same. I could never buy into the whole Jonathan Edwards’ Sinners in the Hands of an Angry God thing where God hates everyone and just specifically creates people to torment for eternity. It never rang true. However, reading about what the Orthodox Church believes regarding heaven and hell, it did ring true to me.

So, what is this view of heaven and hell? God is Love and His presence is like fire. How one endures this fire has everything to do with how they were tempered in this life, just like the three righteous youths in the fiery furnace were able to joyfully walk around unharmed in the fire, so did others who didn't love God perish just being near the fire. The fire didn't change.

Here is a quote from an old Wikipedia article on the topic (that doesn’t seem to be around anymore) that I thought explained it pretty well: "For many ancient Christians, Hell was the same "place" as Heaven: living in the presence of God and directly experiencing God's love. Whether this was experienced as pleasure or torment depended on one's disposition towards God. St. Isaac of Syria wrote in Mystic Treatises: "... those who find themselves in Hell will be chastised by the scourge of love. How cruel and bitter this torment of love will be! For those who understand that they have sinned against love, undergo greater suffering than those produced by the most fearful tortures. The sorrow which takes hold of the heart, which has sinned against love, is more piercing than any other pain. It is not right to say that the sinners in Hell are deprived of the love of God ... But love acts in two ways, as suffering of the reproved, and as joy in the blessed!" This ancient view is still the doctrine of the Eastern Orthodox Church."

I was very reluctant to go back to any sort of church again. The first Sunday my husband (who was agnostic at the time) and I even turned around in the church parking lot and went out for coffee instead. However, we eventually made our way in for Divine Liturgy.

How does one explain to someone else about experiencing the presence of God? All I knew was that it wasn't simply my own emotions wreaking havoc with me- some things come from outside of ourselves- and people who know themselves well can discern this difference. (I was raised Pentecostal and I am rather immune to situations designed to manipulate emotions.) It was like being confronted with all of the answers to my questions after my long search. I knew I had to convert. God was there. Christ is in the Eucharist- which is something I had difficulty accepting as I was raised to accept a very different thing as being the truth- but have certainly experienced beyond a doubt since my Chrismation. Can I prove this to you? No. Were our personal experiences enough to prove it to me and my husband? Yes.

I essentially discovered a Christianity that is an entirely different religion from what I knew before. I had to start over again completely. I couldn't go back to what I thought I knew and believed. I just couldn't. There was something missing there, or I wouldn't have been unhappy enough to leave in the first place. We have the same holy scriptures and belief in the trinity, but everything else is radically different. I somehow knew it was my only chance when I discovered the Orthodox Church.

Except, I personally need the Church. I can't go it alone. I need the liturgy, I need the Eucharist, I need the prayers of the Church, and I especially need all of the sacraments of Christ's Holy Church . I need to go the hospital for what ails me; the ark of our salvation. I need the medicine of immortality.

2) What do Orthodox Christians believe?
This first link covers the basics: OCA - The Orthodox Faith

My advice to you:
Pray and do your research (you definitely seem to be on the right track).
I will post a few more things that it certainly wouldn't hurt for you to read that explain the Christian faith fairly well.
What Is Most Important
The One
Introduction to the Bible
Excerpts from the Orthodox Church by Bishop Kallistos Ware (part 1)
Excerpts from the Orthodox Church by Bishop Kallistos Ware (part 2)

To get you started, here are some helpful resources regarding prayer:
P r a y e r
Let us
Abbreviated Prayerbook

I am a firm believer that one can't know what the faith is about truly unless they come and see it for themselves. You must visit a church to learn about the faith. Visiting doesn't lock one into becoming a Christian. I've never yet been to an Orthodox Church where I've seen anyone harassed and hounded into becoming a Christian- and even if you want to become a Christian you would have to be catechized.

Orthodoxy in America

YouTube - The Orthodox Church - A visual journey

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

heymikey80

Quidquid Latine dictum sit, altum viditur
Dec 18, 2005
✟34,309.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I'm Evangelical Presbyterian.

I've always been very analytical, and need very consistent answers about God and about my own status in this world, to feel there's something stable for an eternity that I'm trusting. It's just important, an eternal reliance on Christ. My mind has to be brought along with everything else. If I'm looking for the truth, well, it's going to place my feelings and desires in their proper place.

What're my specific beliefs? The significant differences are:

1. God is central on just about everything.
  2. God is much, much closer and involved in just about everything than first appears to people.
  3. The idea of "faith" is not just assent to facts, but relying on a Person.

Upvote 0