• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.
  3. Please note there is a new rule regarding the posting of videos. It reads, "Post a summary of the videos you post . An exception can be made for music videos.". Unless you are simply sharing music, please post a summary, or the gist, of the video you wish to share.
  4. There have been some changes in the Life Stages section involving the following forums: Roaring 20s, Terrific Thirties, Fabulous Forties, and Golden Eagles. They are changed to Gen Z, Millennials, Gen X, and Golden Eagles will have a slight change.
  5. CF Staff, Angels and Ambassadors; ask that you join us in praying for the world in this difficult time, asking our Holy Father to stop the spread of the virus, and for healing of all affected.

New Texas rule lets social workers turn away clients who are LGBTQ or have a disability

Discussion in 'News & Current Events (Articles Required)' started by CRAZY_CAT_WOMAN, Oct 17, 2020.

1. CRAZY_CAT_WOMAN

CRAZY_CAT_WOMAN I'm praying for my dad to get well.

+3,392
    United States
    Seeker
    Single
    US-Others
    New Texas rule lets social workers turn away clients who are LGBTQ or have a disability New Texas rule lets social workers turn away clients who are LGBTQ or have a disability

We teamed up with Faith Counseling. Can they help you today?
  2. alllivesmatter

alllivesmatter ta da,EL ROI

+504
    United States
    Christian
    Private
    US-Republican
    How can that be? That's discrimination.

3. NerdGirl123

NerdGirl123 If only we could be ourselves...

+1,257
    United States
    Christian
    Private
    It's 1am here and I'm half asleep, nor have I read anything else about this, but could someone maybe clarify the reasoning behind the change? The article only states this, and it's clear as mud.

"Gov. Greg Abbott's office recommended the change, board members said, because the code's nondiscrimination protections went beyond protections laid out in the state law that governs how and when the state may discipline social workers."

4. CRAZY_CAT_WOMAN

+3,392
    United States
    Seeker
    Single
    US-Others
    It might not go far, Since social workers aren't okay with it

5. SeventyOne

SeventyOne Well-Known Member

+2,981
    United States
    Calvary Chapel
    Married
    So, he's saying the agency shouldn't unilaterally enact a policy exceed the requirements of the law. Well, if they are extending services to one group not covered under the law, but using the same standards to reject other groups also not covered under the law, then they are actually responsible for systematic discrimination. The only real issue here is that they are discriminating against those who aren't currently politically popular.

Would seem anyone who claims to be in favor of equal rights would applaud the move unless their definition of 'equal' only hypocritically applies in certain areas.

6. CRAZY_CAT_WOMAN

+3,392
    United States
    Seeker
    Single
    US-Others
    This ruling is BS and worse. . And I'm glad social worker have enough braincells to get it.

7. Quartermaine

Quartermaine Well-Known Member

+1,342
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Private
    would you be as eager to defend this if the legislature gave doctors the right to refuse to treat black people? if you are saying no then your definition of equal only hypocritically apples in certain areas

8. FireDragon76

FireDragon76 contemplative humanist Supporter

+12,413
    United States
    Other Religion
    Legal Union (Other)
    US-Democrat
    Just another right-wing demagogue politician signalling to his base, regardless of whether it actually is supported by those with genuine expertise.

9. RestoreTheJoy

RestoreTheJoy Well-Known Member Supporter

+819
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Married
    Well, posting the first frantic article screaming discrimination without getting facts or context seems to be par for the course, but that is not why the list was edited.

Social workers do not discriminate anyway; that is the heart of the profession. The purpose is to ensure social workers don't practice outside their scope of knowledge and competence and also to comply with state law.

"Darrel Spinks, executive director of the Texas Behavioral Health Executive Council, said that he consulted with the office of Texas Attorney General Ken Paxton before the rule change was made. He concluded that Abbott's opinion—"your rule needs to match what the statute is"—was correct. The change was made during a joint meeting of the council and the board"

10. NerdGirl123

NerdGirl123 If only we could be ourselves...

+1,257
    United States
    Christian
    Private
    I'm still a bit puzzled, but maybe once I wake up a bit more and maybe google some more articles and information about this, I'll understand it better.