• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.
  3. Please note there is a new rule regarding the posting of videos. It reads, "Post a summary of the videos you post . An exception can be made for music videos.". Unless you are simply sharing music, please post a summary, or the gist, of the video you wish to share.
  4. There have been some changes in the Life Stages section involving the following forums: Roaring 20s, Terrific Thirties, Fabulous Forties, and Golden Eagles. They are changed to Gen Z, Millennials, Gen X, and Golden Eagles will have a slight change.
  5. CF Staff, Angels and Ambassadors; ask that you join us in praying for the world in this difficult time, asking our Holy Father to stop the spread of the virus, and for healing of all affected.
  6. We are no longer allowing posts or threads that deny the existence of Covid-19. Members have lost loved ones to this virus and are grieving. As a Christian site, we do not need to add to the pain of the loss by allowing posts that deny the existence of the virus that killed their loved one. Future post denying the Covid-19 existence, calling it a hoax, will be addressed via the warning system.

New Story breaking on Wuhan

Discussion in 'Current News & Events (Articles Required)' started by Pavel Mosko, Sep 7, 2021.

1. Thomas White

Thomas White Well-Known Member

+590
    United States
    Methodist
    Married
    That is possible.

2. Tom 1

Tom 1 Optimistic sceptic Supporter

+11,500
    Romania
    Christian
    Married
    Never underestimate the desire to believe. I'm not sure what motivates it but there's an unstoppable force behind the need to believe in alternative realities.

3. Joy

Joy Well-Known Member Staff Member Purple Team - Moderator Supporter

+2,812
    United Kingdom
    Christian
    Single
    Mod Hat On

Some Posts and Responses
    have been Removed
    in
    Thread Clean
    RV: Covid Denial

Mod Hat Off

4. Isaiah 41:10

Isaiah 41:10 Well-Known Member

+2,438
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    US-Republican
    My understanding is that the research isn't "gain-of-function" if the viruses being researched already had the function and ability to infect human cells. And of course the reason these coronaviruses became of interest for research, is because they were publicly known to have the ability to infect human cells (that's why they were collected for research to begin with).

If people believe that it was gain-of-function research, then what function do they believe that these viruses gained?

Maybe @sfs could weight in.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2021
  5. Hvizsgyak

Hvizsgyak Member

+96
    United States
    Byzantine Catholic
    Married
    Lets throw a little wrench into your argument - Alfred Charles Kinsey (/ ˈ k ɪ n z i /; June 23, 1894 - August 25, 1956) was an American biologist, professor of entomology and zoology, and sexologist who created the Kinsey Reports that influenced the American Psychological Association to move homosexuality from an abnormal behavior to normal. Kinsey a biologist, bug scientist, and animal scientist we can listen to and make history altering decisions but a congressman/ophthalmologist (a congressman who has been briefed in the area of Infectious Diseases) has absolutely no credentials. Go figure. You know it doesn't take rocket science to understand some of this stuff. Give Rand Paul a chance, he's not stupid.

6. Hvizsgyak

Hvizsgyak Member

+96
    United States
    Byzantine Catholic
    Married
    Sorry, I didn't mean to be so rude with my initial response to you. Had a bad day, shouldn't have taken it out on you. God Bless.

7. The Barbarian

The Barbarian Crabby Old White Guy

+8,574
    United States
    Catholic
    Married
    US-Libertarian
    You have a lot more confidence in it than I do.

We use the Italian word for it. But technically, it's a novel coronavirus.

8. The Barbarian

+8,574
    United States
    Catholic
    Married
    US-Libertarian
    No, that's wrong. Long after Kinsey, homosexuality was being described as an abnormal behavior. For example, when I took a course in abnormal psychology in the late 1960s, it was so described. The reason it ceased to be considered abnormal, is that studies showed that homosexuals were no more likely than heterosexuals to have abnormalities on various psychiatric inventories.

Stephen Gould once reported that while looking through entomology journals in the stacks of a library, he found a paper by Kinsey regarding some insect. Someone had written across the top of the article: "Why don't you write about something more interesting, Al?"

And no, it's not rocket science. It's more complicated than rocket science. I've got a degree in microbiology. I've done graduate work in immunology, and supervised an allergy/immunology clinic in the Air Force, after training with physicians who were immunologists.

And when I read the literature, I still have to look up terms and processes. Anything looks easy if you don't know anything about it. Paul is probably better prepared to talk about immunology than the average person. But I very much doubt that he knows as much as I do about it. It would be odd for an ophthalmologist to be that knowledgeable on the subject.

9. Hvizsgyak

Hvizsgyak Member

+96
    United States
    Byzantine Catholic
    Married
    I beg to differ on your first paragraph but everything else looks thoughtfully laid out. Thanks for the reply. God bless.

10. The Barbarian

+8,574
    United States
    Catholic
    Married
    US-Libertarian
    Well, thank you. My wife (Master's in Guidance and Counseling, worked 18 years in a dept. of psychiatry in a medical school) has an old DSM-IV from 1998, and it does not have homosexuality as a paraphilia. So sometime between 1967 and 1998, it was removed from the manual of mental disorders.

I imagine it would be possible to run that down on the net somewhere, but there is no question that long after Kinsey's study, homosexuality was considered a paraphilia. It was still being discussed as a question long after 1998, by scholars:
    https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s10508-012-9900-3

My personal opinion is that it is intrinsically disordered and sinful to have homosexual sexual relations, but that there's no clear reason for labeling it a paraphilia.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List