East Coast
✟8,649.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Hello, I have been seeking God and religion for a long time. I like reading the Bible and praying and I would like to find a church to join, but it's very overwhelming because there are so many denominations and opinions on theology out there.

I have had a year with a lot of positive changes and I know that I have been getting closer to God through prayer, especially the last couple of months and I want to keep up this momentum. Thank you.

HTacianas

Jul 9, 2018
Florida
✟324,290.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Hello, I have been seeking God and religion for a long time. I like reading the Bible and praying and I would like to find a church to join, but it's very overwhelming because there are so many denominations and opinions on theology out there.

I have had a year with a lot of positive changes and I know that I have been getting closer to God through prayer, especially the last couple of months and I want to keep up this momentum. Thank you.

Hello GreenSquirrel. Welcome to the forum.

If you are looking for a church you will find no end to the opinions here, including mine. Post a question in the Looking For A Church Forum here:

Looking for a Church

Upvote 0

Rescued One

...yet not I, but the grace of God that is with me
Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟79,668.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
Welcome to CF! :oldthumbsup:

You'll get several different recommendations on this site. I suggest doing your own research using Google. Churches don't save people. God does that. What you want most of all is a church that teaches what is in the Bible. Type in the name of each denomination and read the statement of faith on their site. Keep comparing sermons or teachings to the Bible. Avoid churches that demand total obedience to a list of laws. By reading our New Testaments, we learn what Christ wants and if we love Him we obey.

Christian Works.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0

mark kennedy

Natura non facit saltum
Site Supporter
Mar 16, 2004
Indianapolis, IN
✟549,630.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat

Welcome to the boards, hope you enjoy your stay. Glad to hear your journey so far has been a positive one. It' such a personal search its sometimes hard to advise where to look. I always suggest the Psalms and Job make for some good devotional reading. John's Gospel is good for basic theology since most is focused on conversation Jesus had with people. Ephesians and Colosians provide all the basic doctrine a new believer might need.

Early on you might want to avoid forums with a lot of debate but General Theology is a good source for a lot of different perspective. It a big board, you should'nt hesitate to ask for help navigating it.

Grace and peace,
Mark

Last edited:
Upvote 0

timewerx

the village i--o--t--
Aug 31, 2012
✟299,159.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single

Welcome GreenSquirrel!

Why not try out a different church every Sunday and see which one works for you!

I used to be a Pentecostal Denomination Christian. Eventually, I came to find teachings that I no longer agree with (upon realizing they have misinterpreted some of the teachings of Christ in the Bible). Thinking that other denominations might be better, I also figured out they make similar mistakes as well in different set of teachings.

Everyone has got at least one thing wrong it seems. Therefore I consider myself no longer belonging to any denomination, I simply belong to the Father.

I still go to church but I no longer take every pastor's word for it. Even the Bible says, test everything. And it's not just a one-time testing but must test someone's words all the time and see if they still agree with Christ's teachings.

Upvote 0

GreenSquirrel

Oct 9, 2018
East Coast
✟8,649.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Wow, thank you for all of the replies!

I will definitely be going to the Looking for a church forum.

I just read John recently, I will read Ephesians and Colossians next. I want to get a better handle on the whole NT soon though.

Thank you for the advice. I find it all a little less overwhelming and will gradually do my research to try to find a church that may fit. One step at a time.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Tolworth John

Site Supporter
Mar 10, 2017
Tolworth
✟369,679.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I would like to find a church to join, but it's very overwhelming because there are so many denominations and opinions on theology out there.

Use google to locate the churches in your area and check out the web sites.
This will let you see what they believe and gain a feel for the church. Once you've a short list visit them. Of course you could just start with the nearest and work out ward from there.

Visit the uk shipofffools site to download there mysteryworshipper form and complete it after every visit.
It will help you evaluate each church.

or if you know any Christians ask if you could go to church with them.

Upvote 0