• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

new plan to stop inappropriate content addiction.

CodyR4

Surely the righteous will never be shaken
Dec 10, 2019
Yadkinville
✟21,355.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
i have been addicted to inappropriate content for the better part of six years. i made it 90 days inappropriate content free after my ex fiance and i split it. i met a new girl and i opened up to her about my addiction and a week later she used that as an excuse to dump me. ive made it a few days inappropriate content free here and there for a few months but i cant get 90 days again no matter what i do. i freaking hate myself so much and it honestly just makes me wish i would cease to exist. i feel so bad everytime i watch.

im gonna try and start a thread every time im at home and i start to watch. i cant keep myself away from the computer anyway. thats the bitter irony of it bc thats where 75% of my hobbies are.

bèlla

❤️
Site Supporter
Jan 16, 2019
USA
✟952,375.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
inappropriate content addiction is a serious problem that many wrestle with and carry into marriage. It can take years to be free and you need a partner who’s up for the challenge.

Focus on healing instead of sprees. Ask for prayer frequently and stay plugged in to others with experience dealing with it. If you can afford it, the XXX Church is good.

~bella

• Winner
Reactions: Sabertooth
Upvote 0

Rene Loup

Left the pack, joined the flock.
Apr 13, 2020
Canada
✟62,140.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Sexual immorality is a common and hard to overcome sin. Hard, but not impossible, because with God, all things are possible (Luke 18:26-27, Mark 10:26-27, Matthew 19:25-26). I also strongly recommend doing research on how it affects people, both the actors/actresses and the viewers.

Here is to start you off:

Home - Fight the New Drug

YouTube.com - The Fuel Project - The "M" Word Series.

Here is a three-step process I use with my own sexual sins. I use them in combination whenever the temptation arrives. Basically, Rebuke, Pray, and Quote Scripture. Do it whenever needed and NEVER GIVE UP!!!

REBUKE
(Acts 16:16-18, Luke 10:17-20, Matthew 28:18)​

Every time you are tempted to look at inappropriate content, say out loud:

"This is someone's daughter." or "She has a name. Her name is [name]."
(Matthew 5:27-30, Proverbs 17:6, Psalms 127:3-5)

"The Lord rebuke you."
(Jude 1:8-10, Zechariah 3:1-2)

The context of truth is more important than the actual wording. There are Bibles with reading levels ranging from Grades 3 to 12.[1]
  1. What are the reading levels of the Bibles on Bible Gateway?

Pray & Fast
(Acts 19:11-16, Mark 9:26-29, Matthew 17:19-21)

Bible Book Abbreviations

Pray to God for help. The Lord's Prayer is a good start:

Jesus Teaches About Prayer
5 “When you pray, don’t be like the hypocrites. They love to stand in the synagogues and on the street corners and pray loudly. They want people to see them pray. I tell you the truth. They already have their full reward. 6 When you pray, you should go into your room and close the door. Then pray to your Father who cannot be seen. Your Father can see what is done in secret, and he will reward you.

7 “And when you pray, don’t be like those people who don’t know God. They continue saying things that mean nothing. They think that God will hear them because of the many things they say. 8 Don’t be like them. Your Father knows the things you need before you ask him. 9 So when you pray, you should pray like this:

‘Our Father in heaven,
we pray that your name will always be kept holy.
10 We pray that your kingdom will come.
We pray that what you want will be done,
here on earth as it is in heaven.
11 Give us the food we need for each day.
12 Forgive the sins we have done,
just as we have forgiven those who did wrong to us.
13 And do not cause us to be tested;
but save us from the Evil One.’
[The kingdom, the power, and the glory are yours forever. Amen.]

14 Yes, if you forgive others for the things they do wrong, then your Father in heaven will also forgive you for the things you do wrong. 15 But if you don’t forgive the wrongs of others, then your Father in heaven will not forgive the wrong things you do.
~Matthew 6:5-15 (ICB)

Bible Gateway passage: Matthew 6 - King James Version
Bible Gateway passage: Matthew 6 - New King James Version
Bible Gateway passage: Matthew 6 - New International Version
Bible Gateway passage: Matthew 6 - International Children’s Bible

Pray to God to help you develop the Fruit of the Spirit (Galatians 5:13-26). Here is a daily prayer I use:

Character Development Prayer
Dear, Father God…

Thank You for putting me in a time and place where someone like me may have a chance at life. Thank You for guiding, protecting, loving, and never leaving nor forsaking me, even during my worst moments (Deut. 31:6, John 3:16, Ps. 91). Though it may not feel like it at times, the truth shall make me free (John 8:31-32, 14:6-7, 14:15-27).

I pray to You for Christ-like character development through the Fruit of the Spirit. Today, this is known as ‘Emotional Intelligence,’ and is recognized as more important than intelligence and talent. I pray to You to allow The Holy Spirit to continue helping me learn and apply the Fruit of the Spirit in my daily life, so I may grow in humility, maturity, positive character, self-discipline, and Christ-like love, empathy, and compassion towards others and myself (1 Cor. 9:24-27, 13:1-13, Eph. 4:25-32, Gal. 5:13-26, Luke 16:1-15, Phil. 2:1-11).

I pray to You to continue allowing The Holy Spirit to renew my mind, heal my wounds, and help me learn and apply Love, Kindness, Gentleness, Goodness, Self-Control, Patience, Faithfulness, Peace, and Joy (Gal. 5:22-26, Ps. 147:1-6, Rom. 12:1-3). I pray for the Fruit of the Spirit in thought, word, and deed (Col. 3:15-17, Matt. 5:1-7:29, Rom. 2:5-11). Please transform me into the person You want me to be, so I may serve You better each and every day, for the rest of my life (Ex. 20:2-7, Josh. 24:15).

I also pray to You to help me overcome all of the Acts of the Flesh, especially [name the ones you struggle with most] (1 Cor. 10:13, Gal. 5:19-21). I pray to You to continue helping me learn and apply forgiveness, to learn from my past experiences, and never dwell on them (Col. 3:13, Eph. 4:32, Matt. 18:21-35). I am a new creation in the Lord Jesus Christ, and I will not suffer forever (2 Cor. 5:16-21, John 3:16, Rev. 21:1-8).

Basically, I pray to You to help me learn and apply loving You with all of my heart, mind, soul, and strength, and loving others as myself, even when used, abused, and rejected (Ex. 20:1-17, Luke 10:25-37, Mark 12:28-34, Matt. 22:34-40, 1 Pet. 3:8-22, Rom. 13:8-10). I also pray this over [names of people and communities], so we may all continue an economy of empathy and compassion (1 Cor. 13, Eph. 6:10-20, Matt. 5:43-48).

Give us this day our daily bread, nourishment to our hearts, minds, and souls (Luke 11:3, Matt. 6:11).

In the name of The Father, The Son, and The Holy Spirit. Amen and amen.

Another prayer I use whenever temptation comes:

God, I pray to You that when it comes to women, let my future wife be my only desire. Amen.

There is also fasting, as mentioned in the Bible passages provided under this section's title. I personally see that as things like detoxing, medicine, and therapy. NEVER DISCOUNT THESE!!!

QUOTING SCRIPTURE
(John 8:44, 14:6, 14:14-31, Luke 4:1-13, Matthew 4:1-11, 2 Timothy 3:15-17)​

I also recommend quoting the following Scripture out loud:

Use Your Bodies for God’s Glory
12 “I am allowed to do all things.” But not all things are good for me to do. “I am allowed to do all things.” But I must not do those things that will make me their slave. 13 “Food is for the stomach, and the stomach for food.” Yes. But God will destroy them both. The body is not for sexual immorality. The body is for the Lord, and the Lord is for the body. 14 By God’s power God raised the Lord Jesus from death. And God will also raise us from death. 15 Surely you know that your bodies are parts of Christ himself. So I must never take parts of Christ and join them to a prostitute! 16 It is written in the Scriptures, “The two people will become one body. So you should know that a man who joins himself with a prostitute becomes one with her in body. 17 But the one who joins himself with the Lord is one with the Lord in spirit.

18 So run away from sexual immorality. Every other sin that a person does is outside the body. But those who are sexually immoral sin against their own bodies. 19 You should know that your body is a temple for the Holy Spirit. The Holy Spirit is in you. You have received the Holy Spirit from God. You do not own yourselves. 20 You were bought by God for a price. So honor God with your bodies.
~1 Corinthians 6:12-20 (ICB)

Bible Gateway passage: 1 Corinthians 6 - King James Version
Bible Gateway passage: 1 Corinthians 6 - New King James Version
Bible Gateway passage: 1 Corinthians 6 - New International Version
Bible Gateway passage: 1 Corinthians 6 - International Children’s Bible

9 But if they cannot control their bodies, then they should marry. It is better to marry than to burn with lust.
~1 Corinthians 7:9 (ICB)

Bible Gateway passage: 1 Corinthians 7 - King James Version
Bible Gateway passage: 1 Corinthians 7 - New King James Version
Bible Gateway passage: 1 Corinthians 7 - New International Version
Bible Gateway passage: 1 Corinthians 7 - International Children’s Bible

Jesus Teaches About Adultery
27 “You have heard that it was said, ‘You must not be guilty of adultery.’ 28 But I tell you that if anyone looks at a woman with lust, he has already committed adultery with her in his mind. 29 If your right eye causes you to sin, then take it out and throw it away. It is better to lose one part of your body than to have your whole body thrown into hell. 30 If your right hand causes you to sin, then cut it off and throw it away. It is better to lose one part of your body than for your whole body to go into hell.
~Matthew 5:27-30 (ICB)

Bible Gateway passage: Matthew 5 - King James Version
Bible Gateway passage: Matthew 5 - New King James Version
Bible Gateway passage: Matthew 5 - New International Version
Bible Gateway passage: Matthew 5 - International Children’s Bible

15 And he said: “Listen to me, King Jehoshaphat! Listen, all you people living in Judah and Jerusalem! The Lord says this to you: ‘Don’t be afraid or discouraged because of this large army. The battle is not your battle. It is God’s battle.
~2 Chronicles 20:15 (ICB)

Bible Gateway passage: 2 Chronicles 20 - King James Version
Bible Gateway passage: 2 Chronicles 20 - New King James Version
Bible Gateway passage: 2 Chronicles 20 - New International Version
Bible Gateway passage: 2 Chronicles 20 - International Children’s Bible

There are definitely more, but these are the ones I am currently the most familiar with. I strongly encourage you to read, study, and KNOW Scripture on a daily basis.

Take care, stay safe, and God bless!

Upvote 0

.Mikha'el.

7x13=28
Christian Forums Staff
Supervisor
Site Supporter
May 22, 2004
British Columbia
✟1,006,833.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
i have been addicted to inappropriate content for the better part of six years. i made it 90 days inappropriate content free after my ex fiance and i split it. i met a new girl and i opened up to her about my addiction and a week later she used that as an excuse to dump me. ive made it a few days inappropriate content free here and there for a few months but i cant get 90 days again no matter what i do. i freaking hate myself so much and it honestly just makes me wish i would cease to exist. i feel so bad everytime i watch.

im gonna try and start a thread every time im at home and i start to watch. i cant keep myself away from the computer anyway. thats the bitter irony of it bc thats where 75% of my hobbies are.

Why would you feel the need to inform someone that you just met and barely know about this? I'd think most people would be put off. It would be better to get assistance from a trusted friend.

Upvote 0

Freth

Site Supporter
Jul 11, 2020
Midwest, USA
✟380,931.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Single

I struggled with this problem for some time. Here's how I overcame it.
  • Seek Jesus in your life daily, even hourly. Always keep Him on your mind. Trust in the Lord.
  • Pray for help with your problem. If you stumble, get on your knees and repent, resolve to do better... and mean it, don't lie to yourself.
  • Cut yourself off from the internet for a while. Find a hobby that keeps your mind engrossed in something you enjoy to do. You'll be so busy it won't come to mind.
  • Eliminate all access to various content. Delete bookmarks. Delete offline content. Get rid of it all.
  • Break the habit of going to certain websites. Go to others instead. Find subjects that interest you and watch videos about them.
  • Stop watching any content whatsoever that triggers you. This can be non-sexual videos or pictures that trigger you, even though it's not supposed to.
  • Stop objectifying the opposite sex. It's unrealistic and harmful. Retrain your mind to avoid those thoughts altogether.
  • Isolate yourself from everything that causes you to stumble and replace these things with wholesome pursuits instead.
  • Stop the habits/practices that you know are causing you to stumble.
  • Resist temptation.
If you do these things and keep on top of it, you will succeed.

Upvote 0

plain jayne

Aug 11, 2020
Louisiana
✟58,891.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Here's the thing with addiction. Just wanting to stop and/or hating yourself isn't enough.

Addiction runs DEEP into the heart, mind, soul, and body. That's why the Bible teaches to LOVE GOD with all your heart, mind, soul, and strength. When you love something else that much and the hooks get into you - well. You see why just wanting to stop isn't enough. And it's not just inappropriate content. It's a wide variety of things.

Meditate on this: 2 Timothy 2:22. You can remember it by all those twos.

"Flee the evil desires of youth and pursue righteousness, faith, love and peace, along with those who call on the Lord out of a pure heart."

Paul is talking to Timothy, the young preacher, who is just starting out.

He give three critical steps:
[1]
"Flee the evil desires of youth....." = That means to RUN! Turn the computer off. You said that 75% of your hobbies are there. Find new hobbies. Psalm 1 explains why walking, standing, and sitting near sin is harmful. Once you have mastered this, you can feel safer being on the computer.

[2]
"...and pursue righteousness, faith, love, and peace...." = You can't run away from something without running TOWARDS something else that's better. If you don't have something to run TO, you will be like the dog that returns to eat its own vomit as Proverbs 26:11 says. Read the Bible everyday, pray daily, exercise, eat right, hang out with good and godly friends, find hobbies that don't require you to use the computer.

[3]
"....along with those who call on the Lord out of a pure heart." = You must find others who have defeated this and fellowship somehow with them. Develop Christian bonds with a small few whom you can trust to help hold you accountable. There REALLY is strength in numbers. But most of all strength in Christ Jesus.

• Useful
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

DLovingBrother

Jun 21, 2018
MidAtlantic
✟24,441.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Try getting the book, “Every Man’s Battle” by Stephen Arterburn. It will help you by getting informed about what you are dealing with, how it transforms your brain without you noticing it, and how it will control you even if you think you can control it. With other well-known psychologists, they have a website, New Life Live at Help and Hope in Life's Hardest Places - New Life Ministries. Try going there and see if this group might be able to help you as it did many of my friends.

• Optimistic
Upvote 0