• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.

New Pastor

Discussion in 'Full and Part Time Ministry' started by Pastor Z, Aug 21, 2004.

1. Pastor Z

Pastor Z New Member

+1
    Methodist
    I became a full-time pastor about 2 months ago, and am currently leading a two-church charge in the United Methodist Church. I'm one of those who was called later in life (I'm now 44) and had not really planned on going into ministry. But when God called me, I didn't feel I had a choice. Well, of course I DID have a choice, I could've said "no", but I KNEW the choice I had to make.

At times the job can be great, other times it an enormous challenge and emotionally draining. It's an awesome responsibility to know that God has placed you in the position of spiritual shepherd for some of His people. They look to the pastor as resident theologian, advisor, friend, teacher, supporter, comforter... basically you have to be the one with all the answers, especially in the face of a tragedy when the question is "Why did God let this happen?"... the demands are unbelievable. But the rewards are even MORE unbelievable.

I ask for your prayers as I continue down this road. Thank you.

Blessings,
    Pastor Z

We teamed up with Faith Counseling. Can they help you today?
  2. Bizzlebin Imperatoris

Bizzlebin Imperatoris A Sinner

+120
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Single
    Don't forget to get elders and teachers :) I'll pray for you! :prayer:

3. RevJoshua

RevJoshua New Member

+1
    Lutheran
    Iwill keep you in my prayers. And don't worry, stick with GOD and it all works out. :pray: :thumbsup:

4. e8514

e8514 Member

+3
    Pentecostal
    I will keep you in my prayers. The Lord will lead the road ahead. Keep winning those souls for the Kingdom of heaven.

God bless.

5. EJO

EJO Hellafreak

+3
    Non-Denom
    Married
    US-Republican
    Hello Z
    I just want to encourage you. Look to the Lord who has put you in this position, He has a plan and a design for you and the churches you serve. Lean on Him for strength, understanding and wisdom. Lead others to Him as well. The more the people know you are just a human like they are, they will continue to look to Jesus for all their needs.

God Bless,

EJO

6. helmikaarina

helmikaarina Pearls of Life addict

+62
    Christian
    You seem to put some very heavy demands on yourself. As a youthworker in church I think we don't have to have all the answers. What is needed is being there for other people genuinly and warmly and look at them and listen to them with love (from God). If there is some answer to be found together, it may be a good thing, sometimes is a good thing not to have answers but to admit we don't have to know everything (luckily) and trust that God knows.

May God's loving presence be with you. May he bless you and the work he has sent you to do.

7. servant4ever

servant4ever Servant of Jesus Christ

+75
    Non-Denom
    Single
    US-Democrat
    Praise the Lord! Another person of God following the individual call He has received! Have you found out that your seminary education is starting to pay off? :)

servant4ever :)

8. Macrina

Macrina Macrinator

+725
    Presbyterian
    Married
    US-Others
    Pastor Z, I'm a new pastor too and I can relate! I serve a small PC(USA) church, and I love it -- and LOVE my flock. But even though I wouldn't do anything else in the world, there are some challenges. You know, in seminary they tell you to "expect the unexpected." Well -- I got it! The kinds of things you don't encounter in case studies.

But I love it. You are right -- the rewards *are* unbelievable. I will pray for you as you get settled, and if you want to send one up for me, that would be appreciated, too. =)

Macrina

9. pastormike125

pastormike125 New Member

+2
    Christian
    Hey Pastor Z!

I've been a pastor now for 5 yrs. Still consider myself a newbie and am learning alot through the peril and promises of ministry.

I wanted to share with you an article that should be very helpful for you in your ministry. Take heart to what Peterson says. Your congregation may expect you to "do it all" but this isn't biblical. I pray that you to would hold steadfast to your calling and commend the "other stuff" to God.

Grace and peace,
    Mike

I'm not allowed to post links directly yet so go to (www).ctlibrary.com/2742 for the article

M.

10. Macrina

Macrina Macrinator

+725
    Presbyterian
    Married
    US-Others
    Hello fellow pastors!

I just wanted to invite you to the "Pastors' Break Room" thread in this forum... a place where we can get to know each other better and talk about our ministries. Hope to see you there!

11. Bizzlebin Imperatoris

Bizzlebin Imperatoris A Sinner

+120
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Single
    I wouldn't miss it :)