New Pastor

Pastor Z

Aug 18, 2004
Visit site
✟147.00
Faith
Methodist
I became a full-time pastor about 2 months ago, and am currently leading a two-church charge in the United Methodist Church. I'm one of those who was called later in life (I'm now 44) and had not really planned on going into ministry. But when God called me, I didn't feel I had a choice. Well, of course I DID have a choice, I could've said "no", but I KNEW the choice I had to make.

At times the job can be great, other times it an enormous challenge and emotionally draining. It's an awesome responsibility to know that God has placed you in the position of spiritual shepherd for some of His people. They look to the pastor as resident theologian, advisor, friend, teacher, supporter, comforter... basically you have to be the one with all the answers, especially in the face of a tragedy when the question is "Why did God let this happen?"... the demands are unbelievable. But the rewards are even MORE unbelievable.

I ask for your prayers as I continue down this road. Thank you.

Blessings,
Pastor Z

EJO

Hellafreak
Sep 4, 2002
Seattle
✟8,395.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Hello Z
I just want to encourage you. Look to the Lord who has put you in this position, He has a plan and a design for you and the churches you serve. Lean on Him for strength, understanding and wisdom. Lead others to Him as well. The more the people know you are just a human like they are, they will continue to look to Jesus for all their needs.

God Bless,

EJO

Upvote 0

helmikaarina

Pearls of Life addict
Jul 3, 2004
Visit site
✟18,789.00
Faith
Christian
...basically you have to be the one with all the answers...
You seem to put some very heavy demands on yourself. As a youthworker in church I think we don't have to have all the answers. What is needed is being there for other people genuinly and warmly and look at them and listen to them with love (from God). If there is some answer to be found together, it may be a good thing, sometimes is a good thing not to have answers but to admit we don't have to know everything (luckily) and trust that God knows.

May God's loving presence be with you. May he bless you and the work he has sent you to do.

Upvote 0

Macrina

Macrinator
Sep 8, 2004
✟22,415.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Pastor Z, I'm a new pastor too and I can relate! I serve a small PC(USA) church, and I love it -- and LOVE my flock. But even though I wouldn't do anything else in the world, there are some challenges. You know, in seminary they tell you to "expect the unexpected." Well -- I got it! The kinds of things you don't encounter in case studies.

But I love it. You are right -- the rewards *are* unbelievable. I will pray for you as you get settled, and if you want to send one up for me, that would be appreciated, too. =)

Macrina

Upvote 0
Hey Pastor Z!

I've been a pastor now for 5 yrs. Still consider myself a newbie and am learning alot through the peril and promises of ministry.

I wanted to share with you an article that should be very helpful for you in your ministry. Take heart to what Peterson says. Your congregation may expect you to "do it all" but this isn't biblical. I pray that you to would hold steadfast to your calling and commend the "other stuff" to God.

Grace and peace,
Mike

I'm not allowed to post links directly yet so go to (www).ctlibrary.com/2742 for the article

M.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
May 11, 2004
Fortress Kedar
✟21,153.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Macrina said:
Hello fellow pastors!

I just wanted to invite you to the "Pastors' Break Room" thread in this forum... a place where we can get to know each other better and talk about our ministries. Hope to see you there!
I wouldn't miss it :)

Upvote 0