Canada
✟86,933.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Hello everyone! I write this post with great excitement today. Over the weekend, my wife and I were invited to speak at a church in order to be voted on as the Lead Pastor. The vote came back and we were voted in! Thankfully this is a one-time vote and means that we do not have to be voted on again (i.e., there is no term to the position). I am glad for this because it was such a nerve-wracking experience knowing that you're preaching and being voted on directly after! This is our first pastorate and we are very excited to see what God has in store for us and the community!

With that being said, I also realize that there is quite a steep learning curve to starting a position such as this, and I understand that I am going to have a lot of new situations. There is a heavy responsibility that comes along with pastoring a group of people. I have been youth pastor, assistant pastor, associate pastor, etc., but not a lead pastor.

So, today I want to ask fellow ministers for any advice that you would have for me coming into a position like this. How do you structure your day/week? How did you get to know people in the community? What things do you do regularly?

I honestly just want to come into this position and do the best that I can. I realize (to an extent) the weight that comes with pastoring, and I want to make sure that I do everything in my power to help the community I am going to. This is not something that I take lightly.

Thank-you in advance to those who are willing to share their wisdom and experience in pastoring. I appreciate your time and willingness to engage in this meaningful dialogue. Blessings!

Reactions: anna ~ grace

Torah Keeper

Jun 2, 2013
Tennessee
✟37,351.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
Shalom brother. Although I am not Pentecostal, I attended a Pentecostal/Messianic church for a few months. I was a teacher in a Messianic church for about 3.5 years.

You have a huge responsibility on your shoulders now. The first thing is to lead by example. Actions speak louder than words and you will lose respect and possible collapse the church if you slip into sin. You are held to a higher standard so set higher standards for yourself and family.

I assume you do daily prayer and Bible study. Each day, write a bit on your teaching you are preparing. Don't wait until the last day and "wing it".

Maintain a caring relationship with the flock. Visit those in need. Volunteer. Call people. Give advice at the right time. Don't smack people with the Bible, lead them to water.

Control your family. The behaviour of your wife and children reflects on you.

Control the flock. Pentecostal churches can get out of control. You must have ability to discern the Holy Spirit from newcomers goofing off and mocking.

Fast. I don't recommend a long fast more than once a year. One day fasts are good once a week or when needed.

Study, to show thyself approved. Learn Hebrew, Greek, Aramaic, Latin, and Middle-English. Practise with fellow pastors online or in person.

Be open to other denominations, but stand firm in your convictions. You can learn a thing or two from preachers of other Christian denominations.

May you bring many lost souls to Christ.

Upvote 0

tall73

Sophia7's husband
Site Supporter
Sep 23, 2005
Visit site
✟875,252.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hello everyone! I write this post with great excitement today. Over the weekend, my wife and I were invited to speak at a church in order to be voted on as the Lead Pastor. The vote came back and we were voted in! Thankfully this is a one-time vote and means that we do not have to be voted on again (i.e., there is no term to the position). I am glad for this because it was such a nerve-wracking experience knowing that you're preaching and being voted on directly after! This is our first pastorate and we are very excited to see what God has in store for us and the community!

With that being said, I also realize that there is quite a steep learning curve to starting a position such as this, and I understand that I am going to have a lot of new situations. There is a heavy responsibility that comes along with pastoring a group of people. I have been youth pastor, assistant pastor, associate pastor, etc., but not a lead pastor.

So, today I want to ask fellow ministers for any advice that you would have for me coming into a position like this. How do you structure your day/week? How did you get to know people in the community? What things do you do regularly?

I honestly just want to come into this position and do the best that I can. I realize (to an extent) the weight that comes with pastoring, and I want to make sure that I do everything in my power to help the community I am going to. This is not something that I take lightly.

Thank-you in advance to those who are willing to share their wisdom and experience in pastoring. I appreciate your time and willingness to engage in this meaningful dialogue. Blessings!

What setting will you be in? Large church, small? Do you have other staff?

Pray that the Lord will lead the church where He wants it to go.

If at all possible try to visit all your members as soon as you can. If you are to shepherd the flock you have to know them. You will learn much about the church, the spiritual life of the members, ministry opportunities that they are aware of, spiritual gifts that they want to use, etc. And you build relationships that later give you more room to minister to their needs.

God bless!

Upvote 0

Blade

Veteran
Site Supporter
Dec 29, 2002
USA
✟630,767.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Praise God.. thats wonderful! From what you said your background..you got this covered. There must be a reason GOD put you there. Praying seeking Him as you already know is the best place to be. Can't say it enough prayer. Praying for you and your family.. and the new family :) bless you in JESUS name

Upvote 0

topher694

Go Turtle!
Jan 29, 2019
St. Cloud, MN
✟186,960.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Here's some things that come to mind:
  1. Make your vision plain so others can run with it.
  2. Stick with your vision. You don't have to be all things to all people. Just because something is a good idea, doesn't mean it is a God idea, or maybe "now" isn't the right time.
  3. Don't let things get out of biblical order: God, spouse, family, ministry... take time off, and don't let church creep into your time off.
  4. Make sure you have a good support system outside of the church you can go to for advice.
  5. Start with the foundations, don't assume others have the same foundation as you, no matter how obvious it might seem.
  6. Try to develop a thick skin while maintaining a soft heart.
  7. Trust your discernment.
  8. Don't avoid conflict. This will only cause you more issues down the road. Be firm when needed, but loving at the same time.
  9. If the church doesn't already have an advisory board, do NOT create an official advisory board for at least 1 year, 2 would be better. (This is so that you can learn who is truly on board with #1)
  10. Be watchful for Jezebel, especially within the first 2 years.
  11. Don't be afraid to try something new if the Lord is leading you, but also don't be afraid to pull the plug. Sometimes our grace for something is only for a season. That doesn't mean it wasn't of the Lord.
  12. Be ok with making mistakes. Be willing to cut yourself some slack.
  13. No matter how well prepared you feel you are, it will be different and harder than you expect (it always is)... stay grounded in, and don't loose sight of the principles that got you to where you are.
  14. Deal with the messes, but focus on the positive.
  15. Be willing to have fun!

Upvote 0

tturt

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Oct 30, 2006
✟795,766.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Worked in small church office for about 8 years. Hopefully, it's ok to add these-
- how are you going to handle requests for cash, food, paying utility bills, car repairs, etc by members and non-members
- requests for counseling (including female members and non-members) and pre-martial sessions
- review written descriptions of leadership positions and sexual harassment policies
- local contacts for mental health issues, domestic abuse, runaways, etc
- how often and who will audit financial records

Also, covid caught everyone off guard including churches. Would develop a tentative plan with leaders to know in advance how the church would respond.

Upvote 0

Paidiske

Clara bonam audax
Site Supporter
Apr 25, 2016
Albury, Australia
Visit site
✟1,503,935.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
You have some good advice here already, but here's what comes to mind just now.

How do you structure your day/week? How did you get to know people in the community? What things do you do regularly?

I've ministered in a few different places now, and how I structure my week has changed each time, according to the rhythm of life in that place. But some thoughts on that: Take your day off when it suits you and your family. No matter when you take it, it will be inconvenient for some person or group, so don't let someone complaining "but that means you'll never come to x" stop you. Also, though, recognise that sometimes things will intrude on your day off, and when that happens, take time in lieu. Your rest, recreation and family time are a priority or you will burn out.

As far as getting to know people in the community, I know this sounds obvious, but maybe it needs to be said: live near the church. Send your children (should you have any) to the local school. Shop in the nearby shops. Get involved in whatever recreational activities you like, near the church. Get to know your community organically. Some of the best community connections I've had, have come from doing school drop off and pick up, or joining the local community choir (I love to sing, but for you it could be whatever your thing is).

Other things that I do regularly that I would highly recommend: have a spiritual director and a professional supervisor (neither of whom should be members of your church). You need support, accountability and someone with whom you can reflect on your own ministry.

I could go on but maybe that's enough to start with!

Control your family...

Control the flock...

I would be wary of thinking of a ministry role as one of "control." That very easily tips over into abuse (domestic and/or spiritual). There are things it will be proper for you to control, and the terms of your appointment will set those out (eg. you might have sole oversight of what happens in worship services, but not of church finances). Beyond that, respect the agency, the gifts and the freedom of your family and church members.

Oh, on re-reading your OP, I just realised something else. You shift from plural terms "we were voted in" to singular "I am going to have..." "I have been..."

I would really, really strongly advise you to be clear about roles and boundaries, here. Either you are both pastors - both called, qualified, experienced and appointed to the role - or you are the pastor and she is not. Job-sharing the pastorate is a far cry from being a pastor with a wife who has different gifts and vocation. And how you handle that as a couple will be very different.

So be clear about it up front, both with your wife and the church.

Upvote 0

tturt

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Oct 30, 2006
✟795,766.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Also, "And we beseech you, brethren, to know them which labour among you, and
are over you in the Lord, and
admonish you; 13 And to esteem them very highly in love for their work's sake.
And be at peace among yourselves." I Thess 5:12-13

One more- Not only safeguard yourself against being alone with anyone but make sure all your church leaders are doing the same. In the NT, they ministered in twos (Mark 6:7).

Upvote 0

Paidiske

Clara bonam audax
Site Supporter
Apr 25, 2016
Albury, Australia
Visit site
✟1,503,935.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Opinions on that last would vary. I consider confidentiality in ministry means that sometimes I'm alone with someone, and that is both appropriate and necessary. I could not do my work effectively if I always had to have someone else present.

• Agree
Reactions: The Liturgist
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Aabbie James

Maintain love and truth in perfect balance
Jul 15, 2019
West Coast
✟37,760.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

I have observed these traits in our paster. He is known for teaching the bible verse by verse, preaching the gospel and feeding the flock... Our pastor's wife is a role model of encouragement and support for her husband, family, and congregation. She is a godly woman providing Christian nurturing to her children and is involved in other areas of the church ministry. Our pastor has recently preached on this very topic...

New Pastor Advice:
Philippians 2:5–11 He is a humble servant...
Philippians 4:6 He is prayerful...
2 Timothy 4:2 He is biblical...
1 Peter 4:8 He is loving...
2 Timothy 4:5 He is gospel-centered...
Colossians 3:15-17 He is gracious...
1 Timothy 4:16 He is diligent...
1 Timothy 5:1-2 He is cautious and wise...
Matthew 10:16 He is peaceful...
Romans 15:13 He is joyful...

Upvote 0

Pioneer3mm

Site Supporter
Aug 12, 2018
North America
✟548,480.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

It seems that several posts gave you..good
advice/suggestions.
---
My advice is..
- Do not forget/neglect to check..your 'spiritual
level/condition'.
- In the midst of ministry..stress, pressure, etc..
* From my experience..
---
More of His grace & power to you..
- On your ministry journey.

Blessings,

• Friendly
Reactions: Tsquared
Upvote 0

Tsquared

Site Supporter
Jun 16, 2017
Canada
✟86,933.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
I just wanted to thank each of you for taking the time to respond to this thread. I apologize for taking so long to reply, this past week has been very busy in preparing for this transition (packing, switching things over to a new province, etc.). I definitely acknowledge that there are many different ways to approach ministry, and I want each of you to know that I am appreciative of your input!

Each of the posts above have given me a lot to think about and consider as I enter into pastoral ministry. As I mentioned before, pastoring is not a calling that I take lightly at all. This new journey is exciting and I cannot wait to see what God has in store!

Again, thank-you to everyone for their input. I am sure that I will have other questions as I continue down this path, so if any of you would like to connect on here I would definitely be open to that! I truly value this platform as a way to connect with other Christians and receive input. Have a great weekend!

• Friendly
Reactions: Aabbie James
Upvote 0

PROPHECYKID

Veteran
Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2007
The isle of spice
Visit site
✟73,684.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

There is just one thing I want to get right. So you were judged based on your preaching ability basically? So were there other pastors who preached and then there was a vote?? I'm just trying to get clairdy on this process.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Tsquared

Site Supporter
Jun 16, 2017
Canada
✟86,933.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
There is just one thing I want to get right. So you were judged based on your preaching ability basically? So were there other pastors who preached and then there was a vote?? I'm just trying to get clairdy on this process.

Thanks for your question, I will try to outline the process we went through to the best of my ability:

The process first involved an interview with a pastoral search committee (made up on some board members, the interim pastor, and a couple people from the congregation). After this, we were selected from all the candidates that were interviewed to go for a weekend to the church and speak/meet the people (there were not multiple candidates selected to come and preach). During our weekend there, we met with the church board and were asked a variety of different questions/scenarios, but it was casual. We also had the opportunity to ask them any questions that we had. We were then introduced to the congregation on Sunday and had the chance to meet with people (although the week before we came, the church played a video of my speaking for the sermon that week). Directly after the Sunday service we were voted on by the congregation.

It was definitely quite the process and was not easy on the nerves lol. One thing I will say I am extremely happy for is that we are never voted on again by the church since we received the vote. I know of many churches where the pastor is a "term" position, meaning they are required to be voted on every 2 years! I can't imagine having to go through that process every two years. It is very interesting to see how this process is so different amongst churches (e.g., in some churches the board/district appoints a pastor).

Upvote 0

EmethAlethia

Oct 5, 2014
✟28,633.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
First, my prayers go out for you and the flock you will be guiding through difficult times. Second, this isn't your ministry, it is God's. You are a steward. Be a good steward. It's not about you at all. Do what's best for His ministry focus on His will. Then focus on getting that will into the minds, then hearts, then lives of those that you have care of.

Delegate as much as you can so that you can focus on the 3 areas Jesus said to focus on ...

I am going to expand some of the Greek a bit ...

Mat 28:19 "Having Gone (Since there would be no way to keep you from going) make "disciples" of all the nations, baptizing "disciples" in the name of the Father and the Son and the Holy Spirit, 20 and teach "disciples" to obey all that I commanded you; and lo, I am with you always, even to the end of the age."

When we have our focus right, the end result is that those we shepherd will do these things. They will go and make, not conversions, but disciples. Those in your congregation will baptize those disciples, and they will teach those disciples how to obey ALL that God commands them. This, of course requires that they all learn how to get to the truth of what God says and means, for themselves and by themselves.

Discipleship is a process. once we are mature, according to God's standard, we are to reproduce...

Focus on helping everyone to get to the truth of what the Word of God really says and means for themselves and by themselves. Every parent needs to get their kids to the point where they can feed themselves as soon as is possible.

Heb 5:12 For though by this time you ought to be teachers, you have need again for someone to teach you the elementary principles of the oracles of God, and you have come to need milk and not solid food. 13 For everyone who partakes only of milk is not accustomed to the word of righteousness, for he is an infant. 14 But solid food is for the mature, who because of practice have their senses trained to discern good and evil.

That's the point where they can "Do" what Jesus commands for and by themselves... and help others do the same. Keep the target in mind, although we are to continue laboring in the word of God as a habit and way of life ...

Rom 12:1 Therefore I urge you, brethren, by the mercies of God, to present your bodies a living and holy sacrifice, acceptable to God, which is your spiritual service of worship. 2 And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, so that you may prove what the will of God is, that which is good and acceptable and perfect.

Yes, being able to determine good from evil from personal practice is the first goal ... getting to the point where we can, because we have been proving all things over and over again, determine the difference between what is merely acceptable from what is good, from what is perfect, is the goal we are all to strive for, but will not hit in our lifetime.

1Th 5:21 Prove(Ongoing court case where the only goal is to get to the truth, no matter how long it takes, no matter what the truth ends up being) all things(That's every possible belief out there. Exclude nothing.); hold fast that which is good. Most hold fast to their beliefs and merely go to scripture to prove what they want to believe to be truth.

Keep in mind that if the goal is to prove the beliefs true and all opposing beliefs false, every belief group does it. They just gather what they can use to prove their beliefs true, gather what they can use to prove all opposing positions false, and since their core beliefs are uncontestable fact, the only correct interpretation of any "valid" data must align with, or at least not negate the groups beliefs. But with this methodology, the truth is forced to conform to each belief group's beliefs, and the beliefs are never altered to conform to the truth.

2Th 2:10 and with all the deception of wickedness for those who perish, because they did not receive the love of the truth so as to be saved. 11 For this reason God will send upon them a deluding influence so that they will believe what is false, 12 in order that they all may be judged who did not believe the truth, but took pleasure in wickedness. 13 But we should always give thanks to God for you, brethren beloved by the Lord, because God has chosen you from the beginning for salvation through sanctification by the Spirit and faith in the truth.

Everyone gets what they want. This passage, although it starts out discussing the deceived lost in the end times, also compares those Paul is writing to to the exact same standard making this a timeless truth. The word "but" starting verse 13 links the criteria in verses 10-12 to verse 13 "but" those in verse 13 passed the test the others fail.

That which we love least is always forced to conform to what we love most. Every person on the planet either loves the truth or they love "what they want to believe" "as" truth.

God talked to Moses about burning out ... told him to find the wisest, best people and put them in charge of different areas and had them pick people under them as well ... only the largest problems made it up the chain of command. Train and delegate, train and delegate. Create a dozen replacements for yourself and set them lose to do ministry. Making disciples ... duplicate yourselves. The disciples saw what was done to turn them into disciples... it's your job. Make disciples. Baptize disciples and teach disciples to "Having gone, make more disciples, baptize ...

Last edited:
Reactions: Tsquared
Upvote 0