1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

new neighbor blues

Discussion in 'Requests for Christian Advice' started by miggles, Jan 21, 2020.

1. Monksailor

Monksailor Adopted child of God. Supporter

+899
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    US-Others
    So, the giving of "gifts" such as cookies or picking up their tree tops IS a good thing which usually receives a response of goodwill. or favor. or biased consideration. biu it is not a bribe.:blush:

It WOULD become a bribe if the good-deed doer later is imposed upon by the neighbor they gifted and in response to the offense the good-deed doer brings up their past gift/good-deed. They then have attached a price/bribe to what good they did and demanding recompense and it wasn't a matter of Christ's love but self-servitude.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2020
  2. miggles

miggles miggles

+619
    United States
    Methodist
    Single
    his tree

3. miggles

miggles miggles

+619
    United States
    Methodist
    Single
    i said it was windy after he wrote that i think. so he didn't see it.

4. miggles

miggles miggles

+619
    United States
    Methodist
    Single
    it could be that since my rider lawnmower has a flat i can't mow like i usually do. the neighbor might think i don't care what my yard looks like.

5. mkdrive2

mkdrive2 Member Supporter

+59
    Germany
    Christian
    Single
    If that is true, I think you did the exact right thing to throw the fronds back into their yard and post a sign. And I think you did good not calling the police over something like this. In my opinion that would have been a very bad idea. In the future, I would not post signs anymore, though. They got the message. They know now that you don't want their stuff in your yard. If they continue to dump their palm fronds in your yard, their is really nothing you can do other than to throw them back into their yard. There are some obnoxious people out there, and you can only accept that or live miserably.

6. miggles

miggles miggles

+619
    United States
    Methodist
    Single
    thanks. i feel that way too.

7. A_Thinker

A_Thinker Well-Known Member Supporter

+8,875
    Christian
    Married
    That seems a bit extreme ... I would have tried a meet and greet first, I think.

And your friend is just off the chain ...

8. miggles

miggles miggles

+619
    United States
    Methodist
    Single
    i was waiting for them to get settled in before i descended upon them with greetings. but then this happened and blew that idea to smitherines.

9. A_Thinker

A_Thinker Well-Known Member Supporter

+8,875
    Christian
    Married
    That makes things a bit different. Now I think that your action was justified ...

10. Monksailor

+899
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    US-Others
    It is easy to accept the fact that there obnoxious people OUT THERE but we are not talking about someone on the hwy, at work or school, or grocery store or parking lot or mall or doctor's office. We are talking about someone who has legal control of the space touching your personal stuff and space 24/7. They don't go away. Whenever you are trying to have some privacy and relax in your back yard there all kinds of things which they can do to destroy your peace and quiet, for example, and there is so many more ways they can legally harass you.

11. Monksailor

+899
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    US-Others
    You did not blow it to smithereens at all. You have their address. Send them a snail mail and apologize for possibly being a little too sensitive or possibly having a misunderstanding and communicate your desire to have a good relationship or at least a peaceful co-existence. Send a "gift" card for a local grocery store and ask that they get something they like as you haven't a clue, yet. See what comes from that.:blush: Be graceful and give them the opportunity to agree with you that it must have been an unintentional accident or oversight. But don't procrastinate doing this. There is a reason God tells us not to let the sun set on our anger. The healthiest and richest relationships are those which address problems the moment that they arise or "before the sun sets."

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    • List
  12. mkdrive2

mkdrive2 Member Supporter

+59
    Germany
    Christian
    Single
    I did not say that the OP should make enemies with his neighbors. But I don't think there is anything wrong with notifying them that the OP dislikes their behavior. Now, if the OP continued posting signs on his neighbors fence every single time something like this happened, I would think of that as a provocation, but doing it once is OK in my opinion.

To be honest, I do not find it a good idea to send them a gift card while apologizing. I think you are wrong to assume that the OP's neighbors are monsters who need to be appeased. Other than the mistake of littering the OP's yard with palm fronds, they did not seem to be that bad to me. But the OP and his neighbors did have a bad start, and I think it is time to stay quiet for a while until they have forgotten about this incident.

13. Tropical Wilds

Tropical Wilds Lord, beer me strength...

+1,759
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Married
    US-Others
    I guess I’m missing something... My neighbor trims their ivy along our shared fence, by default dropping some in our yard. I pick it up and throw it in the compost.

I’m not sure why you wouldn’t do the same, or why one would call the police...? Was there a body under the fronds or something?

14. miggles

miggles miggles

+619
    United States
    Methodist
    Single
    lol. if your neighbor scooped up the trimmings and dumped them in your yard, would you still just throw it in the compost?

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  15. Kenny'sID

Kenny'sID Well-Known Member Supporter

+6,845
    Christian
    Single
    A tough one, and calling the police would have been a very bad idea.

All in all, maybe you didn't handle it so badly. You made your point, and you did after all try to talk to them, and mainly, they know you tried to talk to them, and most likely know exactly what you wanted to say.

Might be a case where we just let it be, hold no grudge, be friendly and see how it goes. At the very least, there is a good chance they won't be doing that again, and it was something they really did need to learn, especially if they did indeed scoop them up and dump them in your yard.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  16. Old Lady

Old Lady ...yet not I, but the grace of God that is with me Supporter

+10,972
    United States
    Protestant
    Widowed
    I had a very unfriendly neighbor for several years. I almost got revenge, but the Holy Spirit stopped me. I'm sure it would have made things worse.

Ephesians 4:32
    32 And be ye kind one to another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God for Christ's sake hath forgiven you.

Colossians 3
    12 Put on therefore, as the elect of God, holy and beloved, bowels of mercies, kindness, humbleness of mind, meekness, longsuffering; 13 Forbearing one another, and forgiving one another, if any man have a quarrel against any: even as Christ forgave you, so also do ye. 14 And above all these things put on charity, which is the bond of perfectness. 15 And let the peace of God rule in your hearts, to the which also ye are called in one body; and be ye thankful. 16 Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly in all wisdom; teaching and admonishing one another in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing with grace in your hearts to the Lord. 17 And whatsoever ye do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God and the Father by him.

BTW, I didn't plant maple trees in my yard so that I wouldn't have leaves to rake. My very nice neighbors have a maple tree that keeps growing. They never rake. The leaves blow into my yard instead of staying in theirs. :(

Autumn is here.gif

17. Old Lady

Old Lady ...yet not I, but the grace of God that is with me Supporter

+10,972
    United States
    Protestant
    Widowed
    ^_^ That's what I tried! I baked cookies and took them over! I don't think she even said, "Thank you." Neither of us had a fence, but I wish we did. She's living in an expensive neighborhood now. :clap:

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    • List
  18. miggles

miggles miggles

+619
    United States
    Methodist
    Single
    and so the saga continues . . . my mailbox door was open today. :sigh: you can't tell me the wind did that. lol.

19. brinny

brinny everlovin' shiner of light in dark places Supporter

+107,787
    Non-Denom
    Private
    US-Constitution
    :heart: Praying (((hug)))

20. RaymondG

RaymondG Well-Known Member

+3,735
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    No, the mailman did it. Maybe you can invest in a camera system to remove the doubts.