Boyertown, PA.
✟768,575.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
I watched this video. Pretty Interesting. 70% of the music that is being sold by places like Spotify etc. is 40 years or older. The guy talks about that and why, one big reason is that the music industry is not doing much to nurture new artists. Another one is just how formulaic the different musical genres and industries have become, folks not wanting to take risks etc.

angelsaroundme

Mar 4, 2020
Georgia
✟140,625.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
It's similar to how TV shows like Seinfeld, Friends, and The Office still make tons of money. Nowadays there are so many shows that it is more difficult for any of them to make a lasting impression. The market is oversaturated.

Upvote 0

timothyu

Dec 31, 2018
up there
✟306,393.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Lack of talent is killing new music. It was like that short dead space between rock'n'roll and the British Invasion called the puke rock era where formula songs and Hollywood actors were the music stars. Mundane for the last 30 years has been the new decades long trend and celebrity comes before ability. The standards have been lowered and yes, even if a warbling but off pitch singer cannot write music or play an instrument as most these days cannot do, they are stuck with formula song writers who don't have an original bone in their bodies, thriving on repetition. A lack of venues for bands to learn their trade are also a setback but then again with tech making them sound good who would want to play live. There is a reason the old stuff has lived on. Artistry creates music. Corporate manipulation merely controls bland but controllable cultures.

Last edited:
Reactions: Danthemailman
Upvote 0

public hermit

social troglodyte
Site Supporter
Aug 20, 2019
East Coast
✟837,188.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
That D minor 13 is nice, but how many times is he going to play his short?

I can definitely see older music having an upper hand. It's established. How is new music supposed to be heard? Even algorithms seem to keep you in a bubble of preference. At least in the old days, the records companies told us what was good. (kidding)

Upvote 0

Pavel Mosko

Arch-Dude of the Apostolic
Site Supporter
Oct 4, 2016
Boyertown, PA.
✟768,575.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
That D minor 13 is nice, but how many times is he going to play his short?

I can definitely see older music having an upper hand. It's established. How is new music supposed to be heard? Even algorithms seem to keep you in a bubble of preference. At least in the old days, the records companies told us what was good. (kidding)

I find some of the classic rock timeless (Boston and Kansas), but I did get burned out of a lot of rock in my teens like a lot of heavy metal, and even Led Zeppelin and the Who like them in small doses but really binged on them in the early 80s. The Ska/ punk band Oingo boing really withstood the test of time for me since that came in my late teens.

I find myself really liking a lot of "alternative rock" bands of the 90s to now. Their is a formula I found that describes things as far as making a hit described in this video about GoTye "Somebody I used to know" (The song needs to be 50% familiar and 50% novel). And this kind of philosophy I believe can be applied in other areas (I'm trying to break into Christian end of podcasting and video blogging and I think you need to find your own creative voice).

Reactions: public hermit
Upvote 0

Pavel Mosko

Arch-Dude of the Apostolic
Site Supporter
Oct 4, 2016
Boyertown, PA.
✟768,575.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Axis of Awesome showing that to make a hit song all you need is 4 chords.

That was something I had in the back of my mind there were these You-tube videos of "Why do all pop songs sound the same?", and a comedy skit song, showing how many of the top hits of the last 20 years used the same basic chord structure.... I bet your video is that, it's been a few years since I watched it! Thanks

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

angelsaroundme

Mar 4, 2020
Georgia
✟140,625.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
You can have moderately popular music with swearing in it, clear drug references, overtly suggestive lyrics, but for the most part the major hits have none of those. So, I think the former standards is a lot of what helped those older/classic songs last. A modern example is Ed Sheeran's Perfect with 3 billion views. A song that can be played to all ages without issue has a larger audience base.

Upvote 0

GreekOrthodox

Psalti Chrysostom
Oct 25, 2010
Yorktown VA
✟176,342.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
The other thing for me (I'm 53, so older Gen-X) is that most of today's music is either hip-hop / rap or heavily influenced by it. That is one genre that I never really liked by the 1990s. When gangsta rap and grunge arrived on the scene, my musical tastes were pretty locked in from the 1960s to the late 80s. In fact, when Kurt Cobain died, I didnt even know who he was. So bands like say Genesis or Rush, I still liked their later music but new bands, I did not have an interest in.

• Informative
Reactions: timothyu
Upvote 0