Western Colorado
✟18,397.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Sorry if this post is in the wrong location, (new member).

Before I become a member of a Lutheran church (WELS) I attended fundamentalist Baptist churches. During this time, I vowed to God that I would not play cards. The fundamentalist churches look down on all card playing due to its past associations with gambling. I made this vow because I really enjoyed card games, but was made to feel that it was an evil activity.
I didn't want anything between me and the Lord, so I made an inner vow / promise to the Lord to give up card playing.

Now, I have come to realize this was a legalistic understanding that I had, kind of like the Pharisees who added extra rules not found in the Scriptures. I would like to be able to enjoy non-gambling card games with my family as a way to build our family relationships. My question is, am I bound under this vow I made to God, or may I confess it as sinful and foolish, made in an incorrect understanding, and be at liberty to enjoy playing cards with my family?

If the Lord wants me to keep this vow, I am glad to do so. But if it is foolish and legalistic to keep it, I don't want to continue keeping it either. I'm torn on what to do because of Scriptures such as Psalm 15:4 - "in whose eyes a vile person is despised, but who honors those who fear the LORD; who swears to his own hurt and does not change;" (ESV)

Any scriptural counsel / advice would be much appreciated.

Thank you in advance.

Last edited:

nonaeroterraqueous

Nonexistent Member
Aug 16, 2014
✟188,987.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
I would start by reading the entire chapter of Numbers 30.

“Or if a woman makes a vow to the Lord, and binds herself by some agreement while in her father’s house in her youth, 4 and her father hears her vow and the agreement by which she has bound herself, and her father holds his peace, then all her vows shall stand, and every agreement with which she has bound herself shall stand.

Firstly: There's no such thing as an inner vow, not heard by others. A vow to the Lord is spoken in the presence of others, such as a wedding vow.

Secondly: A vow can be overruled. In the above passage, a woman's vow can be overruled by her husband or father, depending. I know it sounds sexist, but bear with me. The dependent's vow must be accepted by the provider, who also ends up being part of the means to fulfilling the vow, by virtue of being the provider.

Take 1 Corinthians 11:3
But I want you to know that the head of every man is Christ, the head of woman is man, and the head of Christ is God.

Therefore, a man's vow is nullified if Christ objects. If Christ does not object, then it stands. In other words, a vow stands if it does not go against the express teachings of Christ.

Personally, I would suggest to anyone that they not promise to God that which he never required.

Reactions: MountainMan17
Upvote 0

MountainMan17

Dec 3, 2020
Western Colorado
✟18,397.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Single
Thank you for the wise and helpful replies. I believe since my original intention in my vow was to avoid sin, and since I now realize that playing card games is not a sin (avoiding gambling), this is an activity I can partake in while still pleasing the Lord. Basically, in my previous legalistic understanding, I called something sin which the Lord does not call sinful. I have learned a lesson from this not to make unwise vows, and I know the Lord will be gracious and forgive me for my sin through the finished work of Jesus Christ. Blessings to all!

Upvote 0