Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Hi All,

Here's a little about my background...

I grew up in the south (United States) and when I was a child, I was introduced to Christianity by my Grandmother who attended an African Methodist Episcopal (AME) church. One of my uncles on my father's side of the family was a baptist preacher, who baptized me around age five; however, my family didn't go to any particular church on a regular basis.

My parents divorced when I was very young and my family was rather dysfunctional, to say the least... Fast-forward to about age 13, my mother got involved with the Worldwide Church of God (WWCG), which was founded by Herbert W. Armstrong. In my heart, I always felt that there was something "off" about this "church," and as I became an adult, I learned that the things they taught as truth, were actually false doctrines. They were a very legalistic, controlling, fear-based, salvation by works organization. Looking back, I now consider their version of the church to be emotionally, spiritually and financially abusive.

In the 90s WWCG went through a "reformation" of sorts to move towards a more sound doctrine based on the Gospel of Jesus Christ; however, we left (as many other families did) and the organization disintegrated into several splinter groups... Following this, I briefly attended a Seventh Day Adventist church with my boyfriend at the time; however, I never really found my footing in a local Church. I've been reading my bible and searching, but often feel disconnected. I also deal with anxiety/depression and I pray for God's healing in this area. Please pray for me...

I believe in God and I accepted Christ as my personal savior many years ago, but I struggle with the guilt of my past and I feel that my faith is weak at times. I'm still trying to find my way, and have visited some local churches recently with hopes of finding a good bible-teaching church home. I'm here to learn and grow in my faith and I look forward to connecting with you all.

Heavenhome

Supporter
Dec 31, 2017
Newstead.Australia
✟407,525.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Welcome to the forum and for your story...so far. I am sure you will find lots of things to interest you on the forums. :wave:

For yourself I would encourage you to pray for God to increase your faith, I do myself and this is something I believe God delights in answering.

We all struggle but just remember we have a wonderful Lord who promises never to leave or forsake us.

God bless you dear sister

Upvote 0

Greengardener

for love is of God
Supporter
May 24, 2019
MidAtlantic
✟175,913.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Welcome, aHeart4God! I hope you enjoy your stay here. I have - and have only been with the group a few months.

My past points and yours are parallel in some ways. Armstrong had a few good points to add to the mixed up mess that Christendom had become by the 1950's. But WWCG, like many denominations, appears to have grown into a wild tree and not a fruitful vine. Many "movements" morphed into control situations, and more are out there following the same path.

I hope the best for you in your seeking the One Who loves you most!

Reactions: aHeart4God
Upvote 0

Aussie Pete

Supporter
Aug 14, 2019
Frankston
Visit site
✟725,341.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
We
Hi All,

I grew up in the south (United States) and when I was a child, I was introduced to Christianity by my Grandmother who attended an African Methodist Episcopal (AME) church. One of my uncles on my father's side of the family was a baptist preacher, who baptized me around age five; however, my family didn't go to any particular church on a regular basis.

My parents divorced when I was very young and my family was rather dysfunctional, to say the least... Fast-forward to about age 13, my mother got involved with the Worldwide Church of God (WWCG), which was founded by Herbert W. Armstrong. In my heart, I always felt that there was something "off" about this "church," and as I became an adult, I learned that the things they taught as truth, were actually false doctrines. They were a very legalistic, controlling, fear-based, salvation by works organization. Looking back, I now consider their version of the church to be emotionally, spiritually and financially abusive.

In the 90s WWCG went through a "reformation" of sorts to move towards a more sound doctrine based on the Gospel of Jesus Christ; however, we left (as many other families did) and the organization disintegrated into several splinter groups... Following this, I briefly attended a Seventh Day Adventist church with my boyfriend at the time; however, I never really found my footing in a local Church. I've been reading my bible and searching, but often feel disconnected. I also deal with anxiety/depression and I pray for God's healing in this area. Please pray for me...

I believe in God and I accepted Christ as my personal savior many years ago, but I struggle with the guilt of my past and I feel that my faith is weak at times. I'm still trying to find my way, and have visited some local churches recently with hopes of finding a good bible-teaching church home. I'm here to learn and grow in my faith and I look forward to connecting with you all.
Welcome, we hope and pray that we can be a blessing. Please know that God very much wants to forgive you all your past. Lord Jesus shed His sinless, perfect blood as a sacrifice for all your sins, however dark they seem to you. All you need to do is confess all known sin. The precious blood of Christ will cleanse you completely. Spend time with God. Ask Him to reveal Himself to you. Many Christians know about God but lack a personal fellowship. As you get to know Him, you will find faith rising up. You will receive an assurance of His great love for you. He loves you enough to send Lord Jesus to die in your place. It does not get better than that.

Reactions: aHeart4God
Upvote 0

aHeart4God

Supporter
Aug 22, 2019
Atlanta
✟52,238.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Welcome to the forum and for your story...so far. I am sure you will find lots of things to interest you on the forums. :wave:

For yourself I would encourage you to pray for God to increase your faith, I do myself and this is something I believe God delights in answering.

We all struggle but just remember we have a wonderful Lord who promises never to leave or forsake us.

God bless you dear sister

Thank you for the warm welcome and the encouragement!
God bless you also

• Friendly
Reactions: Heavenhome
Upvote 0

aHeart4God

Supporter
Aug 22, 2019
Atlanta
✟52,238.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Welcome, aHeart4God! I hope you enjoy your stay here. I have - and have only been with the group a few months.

My past points and yours are parallel in some ways. Armstrong had a few good points to add to the mixed up mess that Christendom had become by the 1950's. But WWCG, like many denominations, appears to have grown into a wild tree and not a fruitful vine. Many "movements" morphed into control situations, and more are out there following the same path.

I hope the best for you in your seeking the One Who loves you most!

Thank you for welcoming me and for your insight, Greengardener. I appreciate you!

Upvote 0

aHeart4God

Supporter
Aug 22, 2019
Atlanta
✟52,238.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
We

Welcome, we hope and pray that we can be a blessing. Please know that God very much wants to forgive you all your past. Lord Jesus shed His sinless, perfect blood as a sacrifice for all your sins, however dark they seem to you. All you need to do is confess all known sin. The precious blood of Christ will cleanse you completely. Spend time with God. Ask Him to reveal Himself to you. Many Christians know about God but lack a personal fellowship. As you get to know Him, you will find faith rising up. You will receive an assurance of His great love for you. He loves you enough to send Lord Jesus to die in your place. It does not get better than that.

Thank you for your kindness, prayers and wise counsel, Aussie Pete. Blessings to you!

Upvote 0

Julia Hemsley

Aug 27, 2019
Colorado Springs
✟15,786.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hello my friend!!! I grew up in WWCG too!!! I'm from the East coast of Canada...met my hubby (from OHIO) down at Ambassador University in Big Sandy, TX!!! When the church changes came...we were at the college at the time and SO confused. We ended up walking away from all things "religious" and within about 12 years we didn't believe in anything. Well..God is faithful and he chased me down (like he does all his children). I would so love to connect with you! Both my hubby and I still have family members who still attend break away churches. I found my faith 10 years ago...and struggled with many things as well (sabbath, holy days and salvation)...from our upbringing. I was so excited to see your post...as I truly hope that maybe I can share a bit of my journey! God is SO FAITHFUL and so good. I have learned so much about His GRACE and MERCY and HIS LOVE and about Jesus. I have a ton of resources I'd love to share. Coming out of Legalism and a church that taught fear can be hard...but God grows and chisels you. I have found a freedom that I never knew existed. GOD truly rocked my world and changed my heart. I SO HOPE to connect!!!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Welcome to the forums, aHeart4God. I hope you can find a peaceful place here. I grew up in a different type of legalism that was equally dysfunctional and abusive. So I do understand that struggle.

Upvote 0

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Hello my friend!!! I grew up in WWCG too!!! I'm from the East coast of Canada..
Welcome to you too.

Please put up your own thread to introduce yourself.

Upvote 0

SheWrote

Feb 25, 2019
Redding
✟10,265.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hi All,

Hi there,
I am so glad you are here and searching for truth, since Truth is the One who guides us more than any specific religion. Reading your Bible is a great way to understand and get to know God better. Also, since you know Jesus, you have the guidance of the Holy Spirit. You can call on Him fro anything. I am praying for you gain clarity and answers to the questions you have. May you feel God's peace and love all around you!

Upvote 0

aHeart4God

Supporter
Aug 22, 2019
Atlanta
✟52,238.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Hello my friend!!! I grew up in WWCG too!!! I'm from the East coast of Canada...met my hubby (from OHIO) down at Ambassador University in Big Sandy, TX!!! When the church changes came...we were at the college at the time and SO confused. We ended up walking away from all things "religious" and within about 12 years we didn't believe in anything. Well..God is faithful and he chased me down (like he does all his children). I would so love to connect with you! Both my hubby and I still have family members who still attend break away churches. I found my faith 10 years ago...and struggled with many things as well (sabbath, holy days and salvation)...from our upbringing. I was so excited to see your post...as I truly hope that maybe I can share a bit of my journey! God is SO FAITHFUL and so good. I have learned so much about His GRACE and MERCY and HIS LOVE and about Jesus. I have a ton of resources I'd love to share. Coming out of Legalism and a church that taught fear can be hard...but God grows and chisels you. I have found a freedom that I never knew existed. GOD truly rocked my world and changed my heart. I SO HOPE to connect!!!
Hi Julia! My apologies for the late reply. It's so nice to "meet you!" Wow, small world!! The very first Feast of Tabernacles I attended was at Big Sandy! Feel free to send a private message at any time. I'd love to connect with you and I look forward to learning more about your journey.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

aHeart4God

Supporter
Aug 22, 2019
Atlanta
✟52,238.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Hi there,
I am so glad you are here and searching for truth, since Truth is the One who guides us more than any specific religion. Reading your Bible is a great way to understand and get to know God better. Also, since you know Jesus, you have the guidance of the Holy Spirit. You can call on Him fro anything. I am praying for you gain clarity and answers to the questions you have. May you feel God's peace and love all around you!
Thank you for your prayers, @SheWrote

Upvote 0