Texas
✟176,076.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
NEW YORK, Jan 16 (Thomson Reuters Foundation) - The wife of the U.S. vice president has started a job teaching art to children, the White House announced, working at a private school with a policy of refusing LGBT+ students and teachers.

Karen Pence will be teaching twice-weekly art classes at Immanuel Christian School, an elementary school in Virginia, the White House said on Tuesday.

Her husband, Vice President Mike Pence, is a social and evangelical conservative who in 2015, as governor of Indiana, signed into law a religious freedom bill that would have allowed businesses to deny services to gays.

Controversy followed, and he was forced to revise the law.

The Immanuel Christian School where Karen Pence has started her job has written policies online saying it will not hire LGBT+ faculty as well as refuse admission to LGBT+ students or those with LGBT+ parents.

Students and parents' lifestyles may not include "participating in, supporting, or condoning sexual immorality, homosexual activity or bi-sexual activity," its policy states.

Teachers must not engage in such behaviors as "homosexual or lesbian sexual activity, polygamy, transgender identity, any other violation of the unique roles of male and female," its job application states.

The head of GLAAD, a New York-based LGBT+ rights group, called on Karen Pence to resign from the job, saying it was "disturbing" she would "put her stamp of approval on an institution that actively targets LGBTQ students."

Remainder of the article at link: New job of US vice president's wife sparks LGBT+ furor

Monk Brendan

Site Supporter
Jul 21, 2016
Phoenix, Arizona
Visit site
✟294,430.00
Country
United States
Faith
Melkite Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
NEW YORK, Jan 16 (Thomson Reuters Foundation) - The wife of the U.S. vice president has started a job teaching art to children, the White House announced, working at a private school with a policy of refusing LGBT+ students and teachers.

Karen Pence will be teaching twice-weekly art classes at Immanuel Christian School, an elementary school in Virginia, the White House said on Tuesday.

Her husband, Vice President Mike Pence, is a social and evangelical conservative who in 2015, as governor of Indiana, signed into law a religious freedom bill that would have allowed businesses to deny services to gays.

The Immanuel Christian School where Karen Pence has started her job has written policies online saying it will not hire LGBT+ faculty as well as refuse admission to LGBT+ students or those with LGBT+ parents.

Students and parents' lifestyles may not include "participating in, supporting, or condoning sexual immorality, homosexual activity or bi-sexual activity," its policy states.

Teachers must not engage in such behaviors as "homosexual or lesbian sexual activity, polygamy, transgender identity, any other violation of the unique roles of male and female," its job application states.

The head of GLAAD, a New York-based LGBT+ rights group, called on Karen Pence to resign from the job, saying it was "disturbing" she would "put her stamp of approval on an institution that actively targets LGBTQ students."

Remainder of the article at link: New job of US vice president's wife sparks LGBT+ furor
Do you think that YOU should be denied services because of your own sins?

• Useful
Reactions: RaymondG
Upvote 0

Shiloh Raven

May 14, 2016
Texas
✟228,180.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

I think it is fair to assume that there would be widewide cries of persecution and moral outrage from Christians (particularly from the Christian Right) if Christians in America were denied admission into private schools or services in public businesses solely based on the fact that they are Christians.

Reactions: john23237
Upvote 0

HannahT

Site Supporter
Apr 9, 2013
✟459,470.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

How does it target LGBTQ students?

Private schools have all kinds of goofy rules that you must adhere to if you wish to attend. They are also up front about their beliefs so you have no question about them. Just like colleges? You have to apply to go there. They may or may not accept you.

Upvote 0

redleghunter

Thank You Jesus!
Site Supporter
Mar 18, 2014
Texas
✟176,076.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
What’s a service of a private Christian school?

Catholic schools do this as well. Go pound on a few parish doors.

Upvote 0

redleghunter

Thank You Jesus!
Site Supporter
Mar 18, 2014
Texas
✟176,076.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I think it is fair to assume that there would be widewide cries of persecution and moral outrage from Christians (particularly from the Christian Right) if Christians in America were denied admission into private schools or services in public businesses solely based on the fact that they are Christians.
You see that as a moral equivalent?

Upvote 0

redleghunter

Thank You Jesus!
Site Supporter
Mar 18, 2014
Texas
✟176,076.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
How does it target LGBTQ students?

Private schools have all kinds of goofy rules that you must adhere to if you wish to attend. They are also up front about their beliefs so you have no question about them. Just like colleges? You have to apply to go there. They may or may not accept you.
Good point.

The very first discriminator of a private school is financial means.

But no one is up in arms about DC politicians sending their kids to a private school most of us could not afford.

Upvote 0

Tutorman

Charismatic Episcopalian
Jun 20, 2017
california
✟103,246.00
Country
United States
Faith
Episcopalian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

Good for Karen Pence

Upvote 0

JCFantasy23

In a Kingdom by the Sea.
Jul 1, 2008
Lakeland, FL
✟502,107.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
A private Christian school having this guideline isn't that unusual, but I'm not surprised naysayers will claim any contact with the school (even teaching art classes) uses it to justify how anti-LGBT the Pences are.

Upvote 0

redleghunter

Thank You Jesus!
Site Supporter
Mar 18, 2014
Texas
✟176,076.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
A private Christian school having this guideline isn't that unusual, but I'm not surprised naysayers will claim any contact with the school (even teaching art classes) uses it to justify how anti-LGBT the Pences are.
Wonder if she taught at a public school Christians would condemn her for working at a school which did not allow prayer.

I would think not.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
Oct 21, 2003
Central Time Zone
✟107,193.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

I suspect there already is, but without worldwide cries. I think it's fairly common in workplaces for Christians to experience discrimination and other social torments precisely because they are Christians, because they do not blend into the crowd like a chameleon. On what basis do you assume Christians are not persecuted because they're are Christians? Christ himself said the world would hate us, is that not true? Even hated without giving any cause to. The love of God is hated by "children of wrath", "sons of disobedience", etc. Anyway, nobody is forcing anybody to attend any private school, and private schools can customize their rules, within the freedom of laws, to their preferences. Public schools on the other hand, are a different story.

Upvote 0

hedrick

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Feb 8, 2009
New Jersey
✟1,148,308.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
Most of the responses seem to be in one way or another defending her right to do this. Yup. She has every right to do this. There are plenty of other things she could do that would also show a particular religious orientation, e.g. teach Sunday School.

But citizens have an interest in knowing how our leaders treat others. (I'm assuming that he agrees with his wife's choice.) Many here will think this is just great. I think a (small) majority will consider it a problem. I'm with the majority. Not because there's anything wrong with her acting in a way consistent with her values, but because I don't want leaders whose values include excluding gays from things. Particularly the Church.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

redleghunter

Thank You Jesus!
Site Supporter
Mar 18, 2014
Texas
✟176,076.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
She has every right to do this. There are plenty of other things she could do that would also show a particular religious orientation, e.g. teach Sunday School. But it's a legitimate topic of political discussion. The country has a right to know the our VP tolerates this kind of discrimination. (I'm assuming that he agrees with his wife's choice.) Some may think it's great; some may think it's not something we want in our leaders. But either way it's worth knowing.
The article I posted was from a Reuters outlet of a Huffington Post journalist. I’m surprised they seemed shocked.

The majority of Christian schools and churches have stipulations for attendance and service. It’s no surprise as the NT condemns, as well as the historic church has condemned open practice of sins unrepentantly.

The question always comes up why is homosexuality singled out in the stipulations and other unrepentant sin is not.

That’s frankly easy. Neither Fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor thieves, nor the covetous, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor swindlers are asking to be unrepentantly and openly accepted to teach in Christian schools. I gather they have few lobbyist supporting their practices.

I get it...sexual sin gets highly charged politically and polarized these days. Churches are quite aware they are made up of sinners saved by Grace. Yet must make a determination if they are being loving by accepting unrepentant sinners to teach their children. Regardless of the unrepentant sin.

I’m sure I’m about to be told the NT does not condemn homosexuality as sin.

Upvote 0

ladodgers6

Know what you believe and why you believe it
Site Supporter
Oct 6, 2015
Los Angeles
✟192,004.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution

I agree, but this is a touching subject. What if people disagree with the lifestyle people freely choose, and have no ill feelings toward the individual who live it?

Just asking for opinions?

Upvote 0

Athanasius377

Out of the deep I called unto thee O Lord
Site Supporter
Apr 22, 2017
Cincinnati
✟706,293.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
The article I posted was from a Reuters outlet of a Huffington Post journalist. I’m surprised they seemed shocked.
I'm not sure what to think about this. The cynical side of me thinks the author is feigning shock in order to take some moral high ground. Of course the source of that moral high ground is not entirely clear. On the other hand the public image of christians is formed more by stereotypes derived from outright slander from some mainstream media sources (Looking at you Kurt Eichenwald) and the tomfoolery on TBN. I suspect the truth is a mix of both.
The majority of Christian schools and churches have stipulations for attendance and service. It’s no surprise as the NT condemns, as well as the historic church has condemned open practice of sins unrepentantly.
Exactly. My church has a k-8 school attached and there is a code of conduct that applies to teachers and staff. One does not need to be Lutheran but one is expected to live in accordance with the code of conduct. In other words I cannot be teacher and divorce my wife and shack up with a girlfriend and expect to remain on staff. Nor can I be a career bank robber or Otis Campbell the town drunk. And let's be clear, it's not all christian schools that are being singled out but just those who won't bend the knee to the sexual revolution. Karen Pence would not be hounded if she was teaching at an Episcopal school for example.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Tree of Life

Hide The Pain
Feb 15, 2013
✟48,097.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married

Nominal Christians would de-convert and Christians would home school and use Christian schools like we do currently.

Upvote 0

redleghunter

Thank You Jesus!
Site Supporter
Mar 18, 2014
Texas
✟176,076.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The cynical side of me thinks the author is feigning shock in order to take some moral high ground. Of course the source of that moral high ground is not entirely clear. On the other hand the public image of christians is formed more by stereotypes derived from outright slander from some mainstream media sources (Looking at you Kurt Eichenwald) and the tomfoolery on TBN. I suspect the truth is a mix of both.
And of course the Bee did not miss a beat with this:

Media Astonished To Learn Christian School Teaches Christian Beliefs

Upvote 0

redleghunter

Thank You Jesus!
Site Supporter
Mar 18, 2014
Texas
✟176,076.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Exactly. My church has a k-8 school attached and there is a code of conduct that applies to teachers and staff. One does not need to be Lutheran but one is expected to live in accordance with the code of conduct. In other words I cannot be teacher and divorce my wife and shack up with a girlfriend and expect to remain on staff. Nor can I be a career bank robber or Otis Campbell the town drunk. And let's be clear, it's not all christian schools that are being singled out but just those who won't bend the knee to the sexual revolution. Karen Pence would not be hounded if she was teaching at an Episcopal school for example.
Adding to the list of the "bewildered" press we have this:

In 2002, Mike Pence, then a lawmaker, infamously told The Hill that he never ate alone with a woman other than Karen, and that he would not accept an invitation to an event where alcohol was being served if she were not there.

"If there's alcohol being served and people are being loose, I want to have the best-looking brunette in the room standing next to me," Pence told the Washington paper.

While he has often joked about his traditional views of coupledom, he has never denied them.

Karen Pence, 62, shares her husband's conservative beliefs.

In 1991, she wrote to The Indianapolis Star newspaper to complain about an article that, she claimed, encouraged children to think they were gay or lesbian, according to a copy of the letter released by The Washington Post.

Since that time, gay marriage has become the law of the land -- legal across the country.

But there is no explicit federal ban on discriminating against someone for their sexual orientation, which allows employers like the Immanual Christian School to maintain its rules against "sexual immorality."
https://news.yahoo.com/pences-defenders-christian-values-white-house-205451081.html

Notice the last paragraph. I wonder if they considered the 1st Amendment free exercise of religion.

Upvote 0

hedrick

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Feb 8, 2009
New Jersey
✟1,148,308.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
I just looked back at the CNN article. The hypocrisy they claim is between someone who is so legalistic about enforcing conservative standards against schoolkids and so unconcerned about Trump's ethics. There's certainly a point there, but it's certainly not a new one. It's also not news that Pence is a conservative evangelical.

• Winner
Reactions: Rubiks
Upvote 0