Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
the scaffolding is down.. Fr Gregory posted a first look photo without scaffolding..
firstLook_FrGregory'sphoto.jpg

Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Beautiful!

I love that way of the icons being on those surfaces like that. Our parish is beautiful but most of our icons are framed. Maybe because the community outgrew the first building and had to build a new one 60ish years ago, and so may be conscious of ways to make iconography moveable.

But that is all just so beautiful!!!

Reactions: FenderTL5
Upvote 0

FenderTL5

Κύριε, ἐλέησον.
Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2016
Nashville TN
✟634,153.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
Beautiful!

I love that way of the icons being on those surfaces like that. Our parish is beautiful but most of our icons are framed. Maybe because the community outgrew the first building and had to build a new one 60ish years ago, and so may be conscious of ways to make iconography moveable.

But that is all just so beautiful!!!
I have to admit, when it was first announced that we'd be getting the new iconography I had mixed emotions - thinking that I may not like the changes (or be nostalgic to the old iconography because it was there when I entered the church). The fund-raising and design pre-date my Chrismation, so it was in the works long ago.
I can happily say I was wrong to feel that way. When I first entered before matins Sunday morning it almost took my breath away. I literally had tears well up.
The photos do not do this justice and it's difficult to grasp the scale from a photo.

We often have groups (colleges, private high schools etc) tour our church. It's so much more magnificent now.

One more photo from eye level at the center Narthex entry.. then I promise I'll stop. ;)
22467460_1544774372232108_112005292591547310_o.jpg

Reactions: ~Anastasia~
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
It's a good photo to show it all the way across.

And this is not criticism (BEAUTIFUL Church!) but I am curious because I don't see Deacon's doors? (Am I getting the term right - the ones with the Archangels Michael on the left and Gabriel on the right?)

Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
And I also especially like the Platytera on a very curved surface like yours apoears to be. Ours is curved but not alcove-like ... it's on the upper curve at the very top so less noticeable than yours seems to be.

• Agree
Upvote 0

FenderTL5

Κύριε, ἐλέησον.
Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2016
Nashville TN
✟634,153.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
Upvote 0

FenderTL5

Κύριε, ἐλέησον.
Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2016
Nashville TN
✟634,153.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
I went there a few times when I was stationed at Ft Campbell. it's great to see the growth.
I just got to preview the Centennial documentary... talk about growth.. whew boy!
I'm sure I'll be linking/sharing it once the final edit is made. ;)

Have you been 'here' in the last 4-5 years? We had a visiting military chaplain serve along with Father Gregory during the Pascha service two or three years ago.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,463,791.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I just got to preview the Centennial documentary... talk about growth.. whew boy!
I'm sure I'll be linking/sharing it once the final edit is made. ;)

Have you been 'here' in the last 4-5 years? We had a visiting military chaplain serve along with Father Gregory during the Pascha service two or three years ago.

I was there a few times from 2010-2014

Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
They are there. They are integrated into the overall layout.
You can see them much more readily in the 'before' photo in this post.
So they are beyond the third icon from the Royal Doors? I wondered if there must be openings to the side. Well, if I understand correctly, there MUST be openings to the sides in order to have a Liturgy there. I'm still learning though. Now I'd like to more carefully watch a Divine Liturgy in a parish without an iconostasis, like the little chapel for weekday services at Holy Trinity in Dallas. I didn't know enough to be watching those things last time I was there, but they had so much activity going on during the Liturgy it almost looked like a dance. :)

I do love the beauty of our Divine Liturgies. And what a wonderful setting you have now for yours! I've never been to Nashville but if I should ever be close, I must visit for Liturgy! :)

Upvote 0

FenderTL5

Κύριε, ἐλέησον.
Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2016
Nashville TN
✟634,153.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
So they are beyond the third icon from the Royal Doors? I wondered if there must be openings to the side.
yes (as shown below)
deaconsdoors.png

I'm still learning though. Now I'd like to more carefully watch a Divine Liturgy in a parish without an iconostasis, like the little chapel for weekday services at Holy Trinity in Dallas. I didn't know enough to be watching those things last time I was there, but they had so much activity going on during the Liturgy it almost looked like a dance. :)
when the scaffolding was in place, the last few weeks; the Sanctuary behind the iconostasis was unusable. Father moved an alter out onto the solea. (see below)

temp.jpg
I do love the beauty of our Divine Liturgies. And what a wonderful setting you have now for yours! I've never been to Nashville but if I should ever be close, I must visit for Liturgy! :)
I can't imagine worshiping any other way. We went to church with a family member about a year ago and it seemed as if nothing happened but an ~OK~ sermon.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
yes (as shown below)
View attachment 210249

when the scaffolding was in place, the last few weeks. the Sanctuary behind the iconostasis was unusable. Father moved an alter out onto the solea and moved the icon stands out to function as an iconostasis.

I can't imagine worshiping any other way. We went to church with a family member about a year ago and it seemed as if nothing happened but an ~OK~ sermon.

Ah, I see now, thank you. That's a bit of a walk for your priest, deacons, altar servers. :)

I know what you mean. The last time I went to church with my husband the four white walls were almost a shock to me, there were a few hymns (which were nice but only took a few minutes) and then the preacher went on (and on and on) and there WAS a point but it was fairly bland and some of his illustrations were actually unhelpful (IMO) ... demonstrating a lack of love in order to justify the point. It was only an hour and a half maybe but such a stark contrast. And I would be saddened greatly if that were my "spiritual food" for the week.

Upvote 0