Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
When the potato is out, they wash it.
The behavior was first observed in the 1950s, and has persisted ever since
watch the whole video to get the most out of it, it is just a little over 3 minutes long.
In the wild, this species of monkey lives for only around 6 years or so, making this trait one that has persisted for approximately 11 generations. Also, it's a behavior that is regional, not seen in the entire species and only in ones that have encountered others that wash potatoes. Trying to say that this is not a behavior they learn from each other is the equivalent of saying that every literate person for the past 220 years (about 11 human generations) figured out how to read on their own.

They try to find potato on beach? What is the point of this experiment?
How did the first monkey know that? I am not surprised that when one found it, then the other will do the same. It does not take a teaching to learn that. Any animal can do similar. What does that prove?

Upvote 0

PsychoSarah

Chaotic Neutral
Jan 13, 2014
✟95,463.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
They try to find potato on beach? What is the point of this experiment?
How did the first monkey know that? I am not surprised that when one found it, then the other will do the same. It does not take a teaching to learn that. Any animal can do similar. What does that prove?
-_- so you think it is more likely that hundreds of individual monkeys figure out on their own to wash the potatoes (which improves their taste) each generation for the past 60+ years that all happen to be living in the same relative geographic location, than it is for them to learn the behavior through observation? Really? Too bad we actually watch them show it to each other and their offspring and teach them how to do it on purpose. That kinda disproves your rather odd and counterintuitive hypothesis.

Upvote 0

juvenissun

... and God saw that it was good.
Apr 5, 2007
Chicago
✟121,700.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
-_- so you think it is more likely that hundreds of individual monkeys figure out on their own to wash the potatoes (which improves their taste) each generation for the past 60+ years that all happen to be living in the same relative geographic location, than it is for them to learn the behavior through observation? Really? Too bad we actually watch them show it to each other and their offspring and teach them how to do it on purpose. That kinda disproves your rather odd and counterintuitive hypothesis.

What hypothesis? I don't have any hypothesis.

Upvote 0

PsychoSarah

Chaotic Neutral
Jan 13, 2014
✟95,463.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
What hypothesis? I don't have any hypothesis.
You hypothesized that the monkeys and other species don't learn new tasks on their own and teach it to their offspring. Did you forget about our entire conversation, or do you not understand that proposing an explanation for anything is generating a hypothesis?

Upvote 0

juvenissun

... and God saw that it was good.
Apr 5, 2007
Chicago
✟121,700.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
You hypothesized that the monkeys and other species don't learn new tasks on their own and teach it to their offspring. Did you forget about our entire conversation, or do you not understand that proposing an explanation for anything is generating a hypothesis?

I never made that hypothesis.

Upvote 0

PsychoSarah

Chaotic Neutral
Jan 13, 2014
✟95,463.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
I never proposed it.
If you hadn't, you would have corrected me far sooner than this, but hold on while I link your post

I can teach a chimp to learn geology. And it might learn the skill better than some of my students.

Try to release this one to the wild and see if his offsprings would keep doing this.

Intelligence can not be taught. That is why evolution is wrong.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums