• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.

New human-like species discovered in S Africa

Discussion in 'Creation & Evolution' started by Jimmy D, Sep 10, 2015.

1. Jimmy D

Jimmy D Well-Known Member

+4,665
    Atheist
    Married
    We teamed up with Faith Counseling. Can they help you today?
  2. Jimmy D

+4,665
    Atheist
    Married
    Old news?

3. DogmaHunter

DogmaHunter Code Monkey

+8,426
    Atheist
    In Relationship
    My money is on "just another homo".

Also, the idea of "missing link" is misleading and rather meaningless imo.

As Dawkins once said.... Suppose you have A and B and people say "there's a link missing to link A to B".
    Suppose you find A1, which fits neatly between A and B. Missing link found?

No, not really. Instead of better, it just got worse... you now have TWO missing links. One between A and A1, and another one between A1 and B. :)

I wonder sometimes what it must have been like.... to live in a time where there is more then 1 species of Homo.

4. Goonie

Goonie Not so Mystic Mog. Supporter

+5,887
    United Kingdom
    Atheist
    Single
    Possibly another example of homo erectus, give it a few months and we might hear more.

5. Jimmy D

+4,665
    Atheist
    Married
    I was just being flippant ;).

Speculative I know, but the bit about the ritualistic burials is interesting considering the remains could be 3 million years old.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2015
  6. Goonie

+5,887
    United Kingdom
    Atheist
    Single
    Sale now on:)

7. Jimmy D

+4,665
    Atheist
    Married
    Duly noted and edited.:p

8. DogmaHunter

DogmaHunter Code Monkey

+8,426
    Atheist
    In Relationship
    I know :)

I just feel the need everytime on this side to nuance such things.
    You know why ;-)

9. Loudmouth

Loudmouth Contributor

+5,927
    Agnostic
    It's found, so it wouldn't be missing.

According to cladistics, if chimps and gorillas are apes then so too are humans. Therefore, any transitional species between humans and a common ancestor shared with chimps and other apes would also be an ape.

10. AV1611VET

AV1611VET SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE Supporter

+40,397
    United States
    Baptist
    Married
    US-Republican
    Neither.

A human being.

One who probably had one of God's bone-altering "wonderful plagues" put on them.

Deuteronomy 28:59 Then the LORD will make thy plagues wonderful, and the plagues of thy seed, even great plagues, and of long continuance, and sore sicknesses, and of long continuance.

If you read the 38th Psalm, you'll see David died of such a disease.

Note particularly verse six ...

Psalm 38:6a I am troubled; I am bowed down greatly;

Grave robbers find these bones, then apply them to our ancestorship.

Luke 24:5 And as they were afraid, and bowed down their faces to the earth, they said unto them, Why seek ye the living among the dead?

11. Goonie

+5,887
    United Kingdom
    Atheist
    Single
    :doh:

12. JonFromMinnesota

JonFromMinnesota Well-Known Member

+1,602
    Atheist
    Single
    Except that the fossils found show both human and "ape" like features.
    The bible is the claim and not evidence. If it was more specific about these "claims" maybe you'd have something but you're just speculating with no verifiable evidence.

Peer reviewed journal of the findings: http://elifesciences.org/content/4/e09560

13. Loudmouth

Loudmouth Contributor

+5,927
    Agnostic
    Where does the Bible state that australopithecines were humans cursed with a disease?

Or is this yet another claim you are adding to the Bible?

14. Stanfordella

Stanfordella The will to do, the soul to dare

+7,440
    United States
    Christian
    In Relationship
  15. AV1611VET

+40,397
    United States
    Baptist
    Married
    US-Republican
    Only because you're taught that we're apes anyway.

Whether we are healthy, or whether we were hit with one of God's plagues, we're apes.

And Solomon disagrees ...

Ecclesiastes 7:29 Lo, this only have I found, that God hath made man upright; but they have sought out many inventions.

Evolution is an invention, not a discovery.

16. AV1611VET

+40,397
    United States
    Baptist
    Married
    US-Republican
    It doesn't.
    The Bible wasn't written using the science of Linnaeus.

17. AV1611VET

+40,397
    United States
    Baptist
    Married
    US-Republican
    Yup -- right down to the color of the eyes.

Typical of evolution.

Find a tooth, next thing you know you have a whole community of cavemen huddled around a campfire on a cloudless night.

18. JonFromMinnesota

JonFromMinnesota Well-Known Member

+1,602
    Atheist
    Single
    Of course that is what is taught because that is what has been demonstrated to be true. Humans are apart of the Hominidae family, also known as 'the great apes'. This includes orangutans, gorillas, chimpanzees and humans. Those are our closest cousins which is demonstrated in DNA and human chromosome #2.

The human species has been around for about 200,000 years with our ancestors living about 6 million years ago. So if you're looking in the bible, which is said to be 6,000 years old, of course men writing this are going to conclude God made them upright.

Evolution is not an invention. It is a theory with an overwhelming amount of evidence that explains the origin of species. That evidence being verifiable through observations, repeatable tests, and predictions.

Science does not explain the supernatural and only the natural world. Your bible is unfalsifiable and therefore not science. Only a claim.

If you want to falsify the theory of evolution, you will have to present verifiable evidence that contradicts it.

19. AV1611VET

+40,397
    United States
    Baptist
    Married
    US-Republican
    Yes, and just wait until the False Scientist shows up in the Tribulation period.

He is going to show a lot of stuff to be true -- including himself to be God.
    I agree.

Humans are "apart" of the Hominidae family -- not "a part" of the Hominidae family.
    That's nice.
    Do you know what ontological reduction is? or are you more interested in your family album?
    No.
    Solomon, a king-scientist, had apes imported ... probably for study.

1 Kings 10:22 For the king had at sea a navy of Tharshish with the navy of Hiram: once in three years came the navy of Tharshish, bringing gold, and silver, ivory, and apes, and peacocks.

Then, under inspiration of the Holy Ghost, concluded ...

Ecclesiastes 7:29 Lo, this only have I found, that God hath made man upright; but they have sought out many inventions.
    Yes, it is.

It is a philosophy tailor made for those who cater to the rudiments of the world ...

Colossians 2:8 Beware lest any man spoil you through philosophy and vain deceit, after the tradition of men, after the rudiments of the world, and not after Christ.

And is also compared to fables ...

1 Timothy 1:4 Neither give heed to fables and endless genealogies, which minister questions, rather than godly edifying which is in faith: so do.
    Is this the same source of evidence that says Matthew didn't write the book of Matthew?
    Observations, repeatable tests, and predictions gave us Thalidomide too, didn't they?
    That's because science is myopic.

When they can build a machine that can do this ...

2 Kings 6:17 And Elisha prayed, and said, LORD, I pray thee, open his eyes, that he may see. And the LORD opened the eyes of the young man; and he saw: and, behold, the mountain was full of horses and chariots of fire round about Elisha.

... then I'll ease up on calling it that -- (but not by much).
    Yes, and please don't forget that.

I'm second to none here in stating that using the Bible as a science book is like using Bill Gate's diary as a computer manual.
    Welcome to the world of faith, my friend.

Where you'll read claims you never thought you'd ever hear in your life.
    Evolution will not be falsified in this dispensation.

In fact, it will wax stronger ... culminating with the Antichrist (the False Scientist) during the Tribulation period.

Then Jesus is going to come back and put an end to it once and for all.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2015
  20. Loudmouth

Loudmouth Contributor

+5,927
    Agnostic
    Then what we seem to have is pronouncements from the religion of AV1611VET.

It wasn't written using the religion of AV1611VET, either.