United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
*You are in the Catholic forum*

The pope's decision to include these women in an all male dicastery responds to a desire to better represent the various realities of consecrated life and to strengthen the presence of women in decision making positions.

Continued below.
New High-Level Appointments Signal Changing Vatican Role for Women

Arcangl86

Dec 29, 2013
✟343,085.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
Why was the Congregation previously all-male if it already had members of the laity in it? Wouldn't women's orders and men's orders have different concerns? One of the obvious ones I can think of is that cloistered women's orders can't rely on the membership to provide clergy.

Upvote 0

Michie

Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,584,195.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Well, as the article states; while the appointments are historic, this is really not new. The Church has always been more open to women's roles in the Church than society has been. It has always been my understanding that sisters have had a voice concerning their own orders. These are just official appointments.
Why was the Congregation previously all-male if it already had members of the laity in it? Wouldn't women's orders and men's orders have different concerns? One of the obvious ones I can think of is that cloistered women's orders can't rely on the membership to provide clergy.

• Informative
Reactions: anna ~ grace
Upvote 0