• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.

New Here

Discussion in 'The Ancient Way - Eastern Orthodox' started by Orthodoxjay1, Oct 24, 2015.

1. Orthodoxjay1

Orthodoxjay1 Well-Known Member

+751
    Eastern Orthodox
    Single
    US-Others
    You know the proofs stuff is a good point. I have seen people ask for proof on gay marriage, abortion, being in communion with Protestants, transgender stuff, etc being against Orthodoxy. On oc.net some posters take their sweet time to show these people with Scripture, Holy Tradition, Patristic writings, and so fourth this is where the church stands. I kid you not the responses would end up being attitudes of intellectual snobbishness saying "you got academic sources to back that up". I'm sorry but I never heard in actual church a actual priest say "hey you got a academic source that proves the incarnation". I'm moving on and all but I just realized the "proofs" posts was so over the top at times, it reminded me of Atheists when they would move the goal post trying to prove the existence of Christ. That's just my opinion.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2015
  2. jckstraw72

jckstraw72 Doin' that whole Orthodox thing

+1,051
    Eastern Orthodox
    Engaged
    US-Republican
    oh Peter the Aleut ... how i miss him! ^_^^_^^_^

3. Yeshua HaDerekh

Yeshua HaDerekh Men can dream of truth, but then cant live with it

+1,773
    Eastern Orthodox
    Private
    Welcome home

4. ~Anastasia~

~Anastasia~ † Servant of God † Supporter CF Senior Ambassador

+15,436
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    I joined over there maybe a year and a half ago, but kind of slipped away over the past some months, and only recently made a few posts.

You certainly have "issues" there, but I think that's true of any generally public online forum. One doesn't even have to be Orthodox to post there. I believe I have recognized some good members from TAW over there, and some of them I also know from Facebook. Life is a mix of personalities - even my own parish which I VERY dearly love is made up of imperfect people who sometimes struggle. Some of us have particular tendencies to certain "issues" but that just makes good practice in trying to love others or forgive, or be kind, or whatever. Besides, I'm sure I have faults that annoy others as well (in fact I know there is a lady who often takes offense at me) ... Lord have mercy.

We pray for one another, right?

(But with that said, I do love TAW! There are some folks I miss who I don't see anymore, but I've been greatly enriched by being here!)

5. GregConstantine

GregConstantine Newbie

+562
    Eastern Orthodox
    Single
    Welcome. What part of the country do you reside in? I do agree with you about oc.net.

"
    Did you bother to read my follow-up post?"

I thought everyone here reads everything very thoroughly and responds appropriately!?

6. jckstraw72

+1,051
    Eastern Orthodox
    Engaged
    US-Republican
    Good times! Great oldies! Oldies 96.1! Playing all your favorite hits!

7. Orthodoxjay1

+751
    Eastern Orthodox
    Single
    US-Others

8. gurneyhalleck1

gurneyhalleck1 Reader

+5,324
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    US-Others
    Ok, jay....

You need to seriously start putting punctuation into these posts coupled with proper verb tenses. You're killing me, a teacher! LOL

"You know the proofs stuff is a good point that I HAVE seen people ask for on gay marriage, abortion, being in communion with Protestants, transgender stuff, etc. being against Orthodoxy. PERIOD. End of sentence! ^_^:sorry::sorry::sorry: New sentence---(capital letter) Some posters take their sweet time to show them with Scripture, Holy Tradition, patristic writings and so fourth. PERIOD. End of sentence! New sentence (capital letter) This is....

Come on! You're killing me!!! This is what my sixth graders are doing and now I'm seeing it in TAW! I'm going mad! :sorry:^_^:|

9. gurneyhalleck1

gurneyhalleck1 Reader

+5,324
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    US-Others
    Did Greg really 'go there' with the "you didn't read my post!" thing again? ^_^:idea::idea:

10. jckstraw72

+1,051
    Eastern Orthodox
    Engaged
    US-Republican
    does Greg go anywhere else?

11. Orthodoxjay1

+751
    Eastern Orthodox
    Single
    US-Others
    Thanks Greg I live near Monterey in Central California. Sorry I botched my first response. I was using a Verizon PanTech phone to reply to you. You have to have kid fingers to type on those type of phones lol.

12. Orthodoxjay1

+751
    Eastern Orthodox
    Single
    US-Others
    Ok Gurney you make good points. Looking back at my posts that I have to say yikes :eek:

13. Trying_to_be_Orthodox

Trying_to_be_Orthodox Newbie

+28
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    Welcome.

14. gurneyhalleck1

gurneyhalleck1 Reader

+5,324
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    US-Others
    I'm just ragging on ya, Jay. I'm a big tease.

15. E.C.

E.C. Well-Known Member

+473
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Engaged
    Welcome to TAW!

Ah Monterey... I was there at DLI a few years back. Wonderful town. Miss the crap out of that place.

16. Dewi Sant

Dewi Sant Do the little things

+123
    Eastern Orthodox
    Single
    ah yes, it is good practice to vest in kid gloves when using mobile devices :p
    (sorry, I'm feeling a bit silly this evening)
    [​IMG]

17. gurneyhalleck1

gurneyhalleck1 Reader

+5,324
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    US-Others
    I'm about 3 hours south of ya in the Central Valley. My folks go to Monterrey all the time.

18. prodromos

prodromos Senior Veteran Supporter

+5,540
    Australia
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    I'm only 17 and a half hours South West of you. We're almost neighbors :)

19. Orthodoxjay1

+751
    Eastern Orthodox
    Single
    US-Others
    Thanks everyone sorry it took a while to get back to everyone. It been a long week with classes, church, and work. I'm waiting on the bus to go to church so I thought I'd peek my head in to say hi.

I been going to a Greek Church in Salinas. Once they open up to you Greeks are great people, then again I tend to make friends with the little old ladies. The little old ladies seem to really be the ones in charge. Tbe liturgy mostly in English with some Greek depending on the situation, and the priest is really happy to go and convert newcomers. One thing has bothered me though and it's a lack of Confession. I realize a lack of Confession more with Greek Churches than the Slavs or Arabs. How does one tell if your ready for Holy Communion?

20. gurneyhalleck1

gurneyhalleck1 Reader

+5,324
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    US-Others
    That is too dang funny, Pro!!!!