Kingwood
✟10,950.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Greetings fellow Lutherans! My name is Anne, I'm 50, a wife and mom to 3 young adult kids (my 21yo lives at home with us due to his special needs/autism, he's verbal but intellectually disabled, he goes to a day program for those like him that he loves!).

Me, my husband and our 21yo are members of a LCMS church that we absolutely LOVE. Our oldest son is Lutheran but in graduate school in another city, and our 18yo daughter, while saying she's not atheist or agnostic, is, well, "meh." At this time of life she's not at all interested in going with us or religion at all. I don't want to push her, and she is 18 - but will be home for a whole other year - I feel helpless on that front; but that's going to be another thread I'll start altogether as it troubles my heart deeply.

So we attend a liturgical church, the only place we could consider our home. For many years we attended another LCMS church, the only one we could find in our area, however, although it had a smidgen of liturgy jammed in here and there, its services were all heavily contemporary, with the large TV style screens, Christian rock instead of hymns, a praise band with electric guitar, etc. - very loud and honestly, well, grating to us.

This is not to say that I think there's anything inherently "wrong" with that - the members were wonderful and the fellowship was great - it's just we never felt comfortable.

Finally and unfortunately, the Sunday services became something we dreaded, we lapsed and stopped going and were "churchless" for several years. I still harbor guilt over that. Sadly (to me), we live in an area just saturated with ELCA churches, which would never do for us, no offense intended. :)

Over the years I occasionally Googled trying to find a non-contemporary, classic liturgical LCMS church but apparently I didn't search hard enough, because just last year I found one that had been under my nose the whole time - I mean it's been around for over 100 years! And it's only a 20 minute drive. How did I not find it til 2020? Sigh.

In any case, we officially became members of this liturgical church several months ago and couldn't be happier. The warmest, friendliest congregation, the fellowship, the predictable yet comforting, soothing rhythm of the Divine Service, the organ and well loved hymns, and the weekly Lord's Supper make Sunday morning my absolute favorite time of the whole week.

Anyway, guess I've done enough rambling for now. I'm wondering, does anyone else relate to the experiences I shared? What preferences do others have for the types of service and why? I'm always eager to hear about other Lutheran's thoughts and feelings on these things.

I look forward to (hopefully) getting to know other LCMS Lutherans here. :)

• Friendly
Reactions: Daniel9v9

Daniel9v9

Christian Forums Staff
Chaplain
Site Supporter
Jun 5, 2016
London
Visit site
✟400,885.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Hello Anne! Welcome and thanks for sharing! I’m glad to hear you could find yourself a good LCMS church. God be praised!

Looking forward to seeing you around and I’ll make sure to pray for your daughter. The peace of Christ to you and your family +

• Friendly
Reactions: AnneFaye
Upvote 0

AnneFaye

Jul 21, 2021
Kingwood
✟10,950.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Hello Anne! Welcome and thanks for sharing! I’m glad to hear you could find yourself a good LCMS church. God be praised!

Looking forward to seeing you around and I’ll make sure to pray for your daughter. The peace of Christ to you and your family +
Thank you for the warm welcome and for offering to pray for my daughter, that means a lot to me! God bless you and yours!

Upvote 0

LizaMarie

Jan 17, 2015
✟142,382.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Welcome Anne Faye! Glad you found a good church. You sound exactly like me. I'm not a fan of contemporary worship either. We belong to a WELS church, my husband and I, it is litugical and not
contemporary but not high church, either.

• Friendly
Upvote 0

MarkRohfrietsch

Unapologetic Apologist
Site Supporter
Dec 8, 2007
✟825,387.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Welcome to CF! Welcome to our Forum here!

I'm Lutheran Church Canada, the parish I am a member of has always been liturgical, as are most of our members. Both my former and present Pastors certainly preferred formal liturgies, as do I. Our former and present Pastors do a great job singing the liturgy, as does our congregation and Choir.

While Covid has been detrimental in some ways for Churches, in our case, the limits on attendance worked in our favor, and as a result we are now celebrating the Eucharist every Sunday so as not to limit it's reception. We have no intention of returning to every second Sunday.

We have also taken this time to install a camera and sound system which allows us to record and post our services on line, as well as for Funerals, where attendance was limited, a live broadcast allowed others to "attend" on line.

We are also taking advantage if this time to do some further upgrades to enhance our services for our members, and visually for those who join us on line.

We have replaced our old worn white linen veil with with more traditional Pall, Veil and Burse. More recently we have replaced the badly worn black Alb style robes that the assistants wore with more traditional Cassock and Cotta. We will be reintroducing the use of a Chasuble for Pastor and Tunicle for the Assistant, hopefully in the near future.

Here is a photo of our Church this past Advent:
upload_2021-8-13_6-27-15.jpeg

Upvote 0

AnneFaye

Jul 21, 2021
Kingwood
✟10,950.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Welcome to CF! Welcome to our Forum here!

I'm Lutheran Church Canada, the parish I am a member of has always been liturgical, as are most of our members. Both my former and present Pastors certainly preferred formal liturgies, as do I. Our former and present Pastors do a great job singing the liturgy, as does our congregation and Choir.

While Covid has been detrimental in some ways for Churches, in our case, the limits on attendance worked in our favor, and as a result we are now celebrating the Eucharist every Sunday so as not to limit it's reception. We have no intention of returning to every second Sunday.

We have also taken this time to install a camera and sound system which allows us to record and post our services on line, as well as for Funerals, where attendance was limited, a live broadcast allowed others to "attend" on line.

We are also taking advantage if this time to do some further upgrades to enhance our services for our members, and visually for those who join us on line.

We have replaced our old worn white linen veil with with more traditional Pall, Veil and Burse. More recently we have replaced the badly worn black Alb style robes that the assistants wore with more traditional Cassock and Cotta. We will be reintroducing the use of a Chasuble for Pastor and Tunicle for the Assistant, hopefully in the near future.

Here is a photo of our Church this past Advent:
View attachment 304268

What a beautiful church! So happy to hear that despite Covid, your Church has been adapting and flourishing. And thank you for the warm welcome. :)

Upvote 0

MarkRohfrietsch

Unapologetic Apologist
Site Supporter
Dec 8, 2007
✟825,387.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
What a beautiful church! So happy to hear that despite Covid, your Church has been adapting and flourishing. And thank you for the warm welcome. :)
Thank you! We are still required to limit attendance and social distance in the Church, but we are gradually reintroducing congregational singing. Last Sunday was the first fully sung liturgy since before the first wave. We are a bit out of practice. (I assisted Pastor Fenn) Here is a video of that service for the Festival of the Virgin Mary, Mother of our Lord:
blob:https://www.facebook.com/880d21ce-40b8-4acd-97b3-42c2433c9f60

Upvote 0

MarkRohfrietsch

Unapologetic Apologist
Site Supporter
Dec 8, 2007
✟825,387.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Thank you! We are still required to limit attendance and social distance in the Church, but we are gradually reintroducing congregational singing. Last Sunday was the first fully sung liturgy since before the first wave. We are a bit out of practice. (I assisted Pastor Fenn) Here is a video of that service for the Festival of the Virgin Mary, Mother of our Lord:
blob:https://www.facebook.com/880d21ce-40b8-4acd-97b3-42c2433c9f60

Darn link did not work; click on the new link above.

Upvote 0