Illinois
✟7,802.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
My Name is Brett. I made this account just now to ask some questions. I am 21 years old, just became religious. I've only read John and parts of Acts so far and I want to know if I should be rebaptised. I was as an infant but never really got into any religious stuff until now. Acts keeps mentioning baptism and I'm kinda having an internal struggle.

Hidden In Him

Site Supporter
Jan 7, 2017
Lafayette, LA
✟544,986.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Greetings, Brett! Welcome to CF!

My answer here would be yes, you should get baptized again, and this time in the context of making a conscious decision that you are setting aside the things of the flesh and the old man. Be praying from now until you get baptized that when you come up out of the water, you will come up a new man, raised up in the power of the Holy Spirit through the grace of our Lord Jesus Christ.

Ask if you should have any questions. And welcome once again. :oldthumbsup:

Upvote 0

LittleLambofJesus

Hebrews 2:14.... Pesky Devil, git!
Site Supporter
May 19, 2015
GOD's country of Texas
Visit site
✟1,237,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
My Name is Brett. I made this account just now to ask some questions. I am 21 years old, just became religious. I've only read John and parts of Acts so far and I want to know if I should be rebaptised. I was as an infant but never really got into any religious stuff until now. Acts keeps mentioning baptism and I'm kinda having an internal struggle.
Hello and welcome to CF.
You may try posting that question on the board at the link below:

Sacramental/Ordinance Theology
Sacramental/Ordinance Theology

You might find this site helpful in gaining more knowledge about the Bible.
[I have been reading this site since 2004]

Kingdom Bible Studies Table of Contents

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Sarah G

Pro-peace, anti-war, anti-violence.
Site Supporter
Jun 29, 2017
Netherlands
✟131,322.00
Country
Netherlands
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hello, welcome to CF. Are you attending a church? If so they will have their own views on (adult) baptism. Maybe you are still learning and haven't decided on a particular church or denomination. It seems to me that churches want a person to be a member of the church congregation and possibly take a short course (like Alpha) prior to it. People talk as if we can just roll up to a church and ask a priest to baptise us? Doesn't seem to work that way. I don't recommend rushing into membership with a church just to get baptised. Not all denominations go in for water baptism in case.

Upvote 0

Brettb

Sep 19, 2017
Illinois
✟7,802.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Hello, welcome to CF. Are you attending a church? If so they will have their own views on (adult) baptism. Maybe you are still learning and haven't decided on a particular church or denomination. It seems to me that churches want a person to be a member of the church congregation and possibly take a short course (like Alpha) prior to it. People talk as if we can just roll up to a church and ask a priest to baptise us? Doesn't seem to work that way. I don't recommend rushing into membership with a church just to get baptised. Not all denominations go in for water baptism in case.
I've kinda just been reading the bible I bought. I don't know many people who go to church, or where to even look for one to be honest.

Upvote 0

Hidden In Him

Site Supporter
Jan 7, 2017
Lafayette, LA
✟544,986.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I've kinda just been reading the bible I bought. I don't know many people who go to church, or where to even look for one to be honest.

Then definitely don't rush into it, LoL. Just keep reading and learning, asking God to guide you. Eventually you will start learning about different doctrines and denominations and what they think. But try to let the Lord Himself guide you through His word for a while, and don't even worry about the baptism thing yet (some will tell you it is essential, but that's not correct. It is a command and you should do it eventually, but it is not essential to salvation. It's a mere outward ceremony). Just take your time and grow closer to the Lord Himself. In time He will guide you into everything you need to know and do. :oldthumbsup:

Upvote 0

Tolworth John

Site Supporter
Mar 10, 2017
Tolworth
✟369,679.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

Hi Brett,
As has already been mentioned this really depends on you and the church you attend.
Some churches believe that child baptism( Christening ) is sufficient while others say it is only on a believers profession of faith that someone is baptised.
Check out via google your local churches, where are they, times of services etc.
You could also try the christianityexplored site the course will help you find answers to many of your questions as well as introduceto to Cristians from a church in your area.
Otherwise contact churches by phoneor email and just turn up.
If you're bold enough you could score the churches for welcome, ease of access, explanations, do people talk to you and understandability of the surmon and hynms.

Upvote 0

Azureknight 773

IXA the Knight Kamen Rider
Apr 26, 2009
Canmanico, Valencia, Bohol
✟44,295.00
Country
Philippines
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Greetings to you brother. Welcome and may the peace of the Lord be with you and guide you in your way to understanding. Wisdom may you be attentive in going through the studies and understanding of the Holy Scriptures.

Upvote 0

CoolDude68

Site Supporter
May 29, 2013
Budapest
✟127,545.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Welcome Brett!

I noticed something you mentioned that stood out to me. You said you have just become "religious". I remember when I was younger I went through a stage in my life where I thought I was religious too, but it only lasted a short time and I was back to my old ways and fell from my walk with God.

What I'm trying to say is you can't just become religious and expect to change your life. Religion is just a term and it's used rather loosely and most people don't really know what it even means.

Also, being baptized is an important, personal responsibility between you and God and you must fully understand why you want to do it. That comes with a mature walk in faith and I think you have to learn a lot more before you have to worry about that right now.

Find yourself a good Christian church and start asking questions with others. I'd also recommend a good Bible study program to start out with.

Here's a good link for that:

Back to the Bible - Printable Studies

You'll get there, don't worry. :)

Upvote 0

“Paisios”

Sinner
Site Supporter
Aug 8, 2014
✟594,142.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Welcome to CF. Not sure how to answer your question, except to say that I would prayerfully consider all of the responses you get, seek out a church that seems true, examine the different perspectives, and ask God for guidance.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

user385

Oct 8, 2016
New York City
✟36,995.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Hello @Brettb. You need to get saved. If you believe in Jesus Christ you will be saved. You would be saved as soon as you believe in Jesus. Reading the Bible will not save you. Getting baptized with water will not save you. Obeying God's commandments will not save you. You have sinned. If you were to do good the rest of your life, the sins you have committed are still there on your record. Without the shedding of blood there is no forgiveness of sins. Only through the shedding of the blood of Jesus Christ can a man's sins be forgiven. Call on the Lord Jesus Christ. Ask Him to help you understand the gospel. Read the Bible. There are a lot of false teachers out there. There are a lot of false teachers posting things on this website. You need to ask Jesus Christ to teach you what you need to know. I think that reading at least parts of the following books/chapters of the Bible would be a good idea: John, 1 Corinthians chapter 15, Romans, Galatians, Hebrews, Matthew, Mark and Luke. Read the other books of the Bible if you need to and be sure to read them after you have been saved, it will help you in this life. Pray constantly that Jesus will help you understand the true gospel. Until you are saved, you need to focus on the parts of the Bible that are about how a man can be saved. The rapture is going to happen soon. The tribulation will start soon. You need to make understanding the true gospel of Jesus Christ your number one priority. Nobody knows whether they will live another hour. I believe that there might be a lot of people all around the world that will die at the start of the tribulation. Because you do not know how long you will live you need to believe in Jesus Christ right now. Right now do not do anything other than try to understand the gospel and believe in Jesus. In the book of Galatians it warns readers to not believe a false gospel. Only God is good. Eternal life cannot be earned. Read Isaiah 64:6. You need to humble yourself so that you can understand the true gospel. If you never humble yourself, you will not be saved. A saved person cannot lose their salvation. Once a person has been saved, they are saved forever. When an unsaved person dies immediately they will be in hell and they will be in hell for all eternity. There is no possibility of a man becoming saved at or after their death. Hell will be a place of eternal punishment, suffering and torment. Eternal life with Jesus Christ is full of joy.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Little Lantern

Be encouraged! Christ has overcome the world!
Site Supporter
Sep 14, 2017
USA
✟223,608.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Welcome to CF, Brettb! :)

Acts keeps mentioning baptism and I'm kinda having an internal struggle.
Although it is wise to get counsel from other believers, it is far more important to take this struggle to God first. I agree with Shoetoyou who said
prayerfully consider all of the responses you get
Just make sure you continue to pray for a response from The Counselor as well :).

Reactions: “Paisios”
Upvote 0