New Heavens and New Earth: What if you just don't like singing?

Jamdoc

Watching and Praying Always
Oct 22, 2019
Helena
✟207,218.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
One of the only activities we absolutely know we'll be doing 100% for sure in the New Heaven and New Earth after the second coming and the millennium, is singing praise to the Lord and the Lamb. It's all through Revelation.
I have to confess, I dread that part. I've never enjoyed singing. Even singing in the shower I hate the sound of my own voice trying to sing. When I've gone to church I've never sang along with the hymns. Not because I don't want to worship the Lord and praise Him, but because I just don't like singing at all. I'm embarrassed every time I have to do it, and it's more than just I can't carry a tune and have a bad voice for singing, which both are true, but I'm clumsy (especially now, degenerative nerve diseases don't exactly tune up your fine motor skills), always have been so, but I always wanted to learn to play guitar, or other musical instruments and I tried, and I'd love to be able to learn if I was able in a different condition where I'd be good at it. But even if I was capable I don't want to sing. I don't even like listening to other people sing, even if I can acknowledge that they're really good at it and very talented, it's not to my taste no matter the lyrical content or subject matter.
When I've mentioned to pastors they've always said "oh you'll learn to like it, you'll be perfect at it" or "it'll be for God so you will like it and it'll be the best thing ever", and to me, it's kind of like "well waterboarding is torture, but if it were done in God's presence you'd consider it pleasurable then?"
Now if He'd let me play an instrument and I don't even mind whatever one He picked for me okay I'll go ahead and learn this instrument and try to please Him, or dance like David before the Lord (and being that I have multiple sclerosis I can't exactly do that in this body, I'd be ecstatic to be able to do so in a redeemed body, I might not be able to help myself, in fact unless He tells me no I would just have to dance for Him to thank Him at the very least that I have a body that can do that). Traveling, building, doing things to serve Him.. just please don't make me sing!

• Informative
Reactions: DennisTate

DennisTate

Site Supporter
Mar 31, 2012
Nova Scotia, Canada
Visit site
✟379,864.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
One of the only activities we absolutely know we'll be doing 100% for sure in the New Heaven and New Earth after the second coming and the millennium, is singing praise to the Lord and the Lamb. It's all through Revelation.
I have to confess, I dread that part. I've never enjoyed singing. Even singing in the shower I hate the sound of my own voice trying to sing. When I've gone to church I've never sang along with the hymns. Not because I don't want to worship the Lord and praise Him, but because I just don't like singing at all. I'm embarrassed every time I have to do it, and it's more than just I can't carry a tune and have a bad voice for singing, which both are true, but I'm clumsy (especially now, degenerative nerve diseases don't exactly tune up your fine motor skills), always have been so, but I always wanted to learn to play guitar, or other musical instruments and I tried, and I'd love to be able to learn if I was able in a different condition where I'd be good at it. But even if I was capable I don't want to sing. I don't even like listening to other people sing, even if I can acknowledge that they're really good at it and very talented, it's not to my taste no matter the lyrical content or subject matter.
When I've mentioned to pastors they've always said "oh you'll learn to like it, you'll be perfect at it" or "it'll be for God so you will like it and it'll be the best thing ever", and to me, it's kind of like "well waterboarding is torture, but if it were done in God's presence you'd consider it pleasurable then?"
Now if He'd let me play an instrument and I don't even mind whatever one He picked for me okay I'll go ahead and learn this instrument and try to please Him, or dance like David before the Lord (and being that I have multiple sclerosis I can't exactly do that in this body, I'd be ecstatic to be able to do so in a redeemed body, I might not be able to help myself, in fact unless He tells me no I would just have to dance for Him to thank Him at the very least that I have a body that can do that). Traveling, building, doing things to serve Him.. just please don't make me sing!

You may find this quite encouraging?

It certainly isn't all about singing!

Upvote 0

DennisTate

Site Supporter
Mar 31, 2012
Nova Scotia, Canada
Visit site
✟379,864.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives

I found it..... Dr. Kevin Zadai reports being able to play NINE musical instruments after his near death experience and visit to heaven! He talks about this after the sixteen minute mark in this interview.

Upvote 0

Tolworth John

Site Supporter
Mar 10, 2017
Tolworth
✟369,679.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I've never enjoyed singing.

That transformed, perfect, Christ like body you will have will enable you to out sing any singer her on earth, the only problem will be the countless numbers of other bad singer enjoying being able to sing with perfect pitch, in tune, right words etc etc singing wqith you.

Upvote 0

Jamdoc

Oct 22, 2019
Helena
✟207,218.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
That transformed, perfect, Christ like body you will have will enable you to out sing any singer her on earth, the only problem will be the countless numbers of other bad singer enjoying being able to sing with perfect pitch, in tune, right words etc etc singing wqith you.
Well like I said, it's not just lack of ability that makes me dislike it, I'm unable to do other things but would like to be able to do them. Singing is just something I have no desire to do even if I was amazing at it. I usually try to pay as little attention to the singing in music as possible, sometimes that makes me lean towards purely instrumental music which I really enjoy instead, or techno or something like that. I don't even know why it's just a personal taste thing.

Upvote 0

Tolworth John

Site Supporter
Mar 10, 2017
Tolworth
✟369,679.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I don't even know why it's just a personal taste thing.

It could well be that you'll enjoy singing, or maybe being part of a dance team, or justpart of the unseen but vital support crew.

Upvote 0

Jamdoc

Oct 22, 2019
Helena
✟207,218.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
You may find this quite encouraging?

It certainly isn't all about singing!

Interesting that if this is true (not a doubt of God but I have to have doubt of men), that Jesus never brings up sins we're guilty of like it's completely and utterly forgotten. I know I'm forgiven but I still feel like I'd have to be sheepish around Jesus because I don't really deserve His grace but He's good enough to extend it to me anyway. Yeah, I've told lies, yeah I've drank alcohol, yeah, I've lusted after beautiful women, and even when I've asked for forgiveness and confessed with the mouth and believed in the heart on Jesus Christ, I still sin, sometimes before I can even catch myself doing it, because sometimes those thoughts are just impulse. We can try and try and try, and we're still going to mess up probably daily or even more frequent, and He's just going to forgive and never bring it up, look at you like you've NEVER sinned.
Wow I could never be that forgiving.
You know how we humans are, yeah we'll forgive, but we don't forget, and if it happens again we come back in with that old trespass to use against them again in an argument, cause our forgiveness is shallow.
We have no game compared to the Lord.

• Winner
Reactions: DennisTate
Upvote 0

Jamdoc

Oct 22, 2019
Helena
✟207,218.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
It could well be that you'll enjoy singing, or maybe being part of a dance team, or justpart of the unseen but vital support crew.
God doesn't do things in vain and He made your personal likes and dislikes for reasons and they were deliberate, not accident. So I don't know why I'd go through my whole life disliking singing only for it to be my absolute favorite thing in Heaven or the Resurrection. If I grew to dislike something I used to like maybe, I could see that reverting. But singing, and .. bananas, I know crazy, I don't like bananas, but it was the first food I ever rejected, couldn't even get me to eat them as a baby, just the smell of banana alone makes me feel nauseated.
If I were to go to hell an ironic personal torture for me could be to make me eat bananas while singing about how much I love them and unable to stop myself from doing either.
Thankfully I'm not going to have to worry about that.. unless that's all God has got for me, is singing and bananas. I'm confident in scripture that there will at least be other fruits...
Unfortunately, I'm less confident about the singing because every time I bring it up believers tell me that's all I SHOULD want to do is singing praise for the Lord.
and I think "bare minimum can I at least praise in a way I like doing better?"
the Spirit tells me there's way more than that thankfully, but scripture does point out a lot of singing.

Upvote 0

DennisTate

Site Supporter
Mar 31, 2012
Nova Scotia, Canada
Visit site
✟379,864.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
Interesting that if this is true (not a doubt of God but I have to have doubt of men), that Jesus never brings up sins we're guilty of like it's completely and utterly forgotten. I know I'm forgiven but I still feel like I'd have to be sheepish around Jesus because I don't really deserve His grace but He's good enough to extend it to me anyway. Yeah, I've told lies, yeah I've drank alcohol, yeah, I've lusted after beautiful women, and even when I've asked for forgiveness and confessed with the mouth and believed in the heart on Jesus Christ, I still sin, sometimes before I can even catch myself doing it, because sometimes those thoughts are just impulse. We can try and try and try, and we're still going to mess up probably daily or even more frequent, and He's just going to forgive and never bring it up, look at you like you've NEVER sinned.
Wow I could never be that forgiving.
You know how we humans are, yeah we'll forgive, but we don't forget, and if it happens again we come back in with that old trespass to use against them again in an argument, cause our forgiveness is shallow.
We have no game compared to the Lord.

Something that hit me over these past five years is that our sins......... we look at them as if they are liabilities but a man named Todd White was a drug addict for twenty two years and his testimonies on youtube were instrumental in my daughter becoming a radical follower of Jesus!

His humility..... over his very serious sins.....and willingness to confess them and use them to encourage others, (exactly as you just did in your reply)...... turn them into an asset in the hands of Messiah Yeshua - Jesus.

I personally am convinced that Mr. Dean Braxton is telling the truth as best as he can humanly do so because as he said...... what he saw and felt and smelled and heard really blew his mind and senses.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Jamdoc

Oct 22, 2019
Helena
✟207,218.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
I found it..... Dr. Kevin Zadai reports being able to play NINE musical instruments after his near death experience and visit to heaven! He talks about this after the sixteen minute mark in this interview.

I'm less inclined to believe this one than the first one linked because the first one was right there in scripture. Not standing around looking at your body, he was just instantly with the Lord in heaven.

Upvote 0