New Head of DOJ's Criminal Investigation Division - Hunter Biden's Defense Attorney team member

hislegacy

Memories pre 2021
Site Supporter
Nov 15, 2006
Broken Arrow, OK
✟701,673.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Latham's Nicholas McQuaid Picked for Leading Role in Biden DOJ's Criminal Division

McQuaid, named acting leader of the U.S. Justice Department’s criminal division, earlier spent more than five years as a federal prosecutor in the U.S. attorney’s office for the Southern District of New York before joining the Obama White House in 2013.

What's the issue with that?

Acting Assistant Attorney General Nicholas McQuaid has worked on the same cases as Biden defense attorney

The newly selected acting head of the Justice Department's criminal division is a former colleague of the attorney now representing Hunter Biden in the face of a DOJ investigation.

Nicholas McQuaid joined the DOJ in January after spending the past several years as a partner in the New York office of law firm Latham & Watkins. Also a partner in that office is Christopher Clark, who was reported by Law.com in December to be representing the president's son.
Joe just put in his son's defense attorney's firm partner to head the DOJ Division tasked with investigating him.

Last edited:

essentialsaltes

Stranger in a Strange Land
Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟829,264.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)

Joe just put in his son's defense attorney to head the DOJ Division tasked with investigating him.

Ahem, Joe just put in his son's defense attorney's former coworker.

Upvote 0

hislegacy

Memories pre 2021
Site Supporter
Nov 15, 2006
Broken Arrow, OK
✟701,673.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

Ahem, Joe just put in his son's defense attorney's former coworker.

Ahem:

Also a partner in that office is Christopher Clark, who was reported by Law.com in December to be representing the president's son.

The man just placed in charge of prosecuting the investigation is a partner in the Law Office who spent years defending him. As a Partner he benefited from payments made to the firm by Hunter.

How is that NOT a conflict of interest?

curtain1.jpg

Upvote 0

essentialsaltes

Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟829,264.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)

I'm sorry you're having trouble reading simple English.

In December of 2020
Two months ago, not 'for years'
Hunter Biden learned he was under investigation.

"I learned yesterday for the first time that the U.S. Attorney's Office in Delaware advised my legal counsel, also yesterday, that they are investigating my tax affairs. I take this matter very seriously but I am confident that a professional and objective review of these matters will demonstrate that I handled my affairs legally and appropriately, including with the benefit of professional tax advisors," Hunter Biden said in a statement.

In December 2020
Two months ago
Law.com reports that Christopher Clark is representing Hunter Biden in this matter.

Christopher Clark works at the same firm as Nicholas McQuaid, an experienced US prosecutor and former Obama WH lawyer, who recently left to take up a position in the Biden Administration.

Nicholas McQuaid has not been put in charge of 'prosecuting the investigation', which as above is coming from the US Attorney's Office in Delaware. He has been named Acting Assistant AG of the Criminal Division.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Desk trauma

Front row at the dumpster fire of the republic
Site Supporter
Dec 1, 2011
✟1,189,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
I see a closed per request in the near future, kind of like that thread about the cost of medicare for all after the math issue was pointed out.

Upvote 0

hislegacy

Memories pre 2021
Site Supporter
Nov 15, 2006
Broken Arrow, OK
✟701,673.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I'm sorry you're having trouble reading simple English.

I'm sorry you have such a hard time responding without being rude and insulting - has that ever helped you in a debate? I didn't think so.....

Christopher Clark works at the same firm as Nicholas McQuaid, an experienced US prosecutor and former Obama WH lawyer.

As a PARTNER in the same firm - partners - co owners of the same firm. His income is linked to his partnership - he financially benefits from any case his PARTNER works with.

Partner -
partner

• n.
    One that is united or associated with another or others in an activity or a sphere of common interest, especially.
  • n.
    A member of a business partnership.
Get it? Partner - what benefits one benefits him.

Nicholas McQuaid has not been put in charge of 'prosecuting the investigation', which as above is coming from the US Attorney's Office in Delaware. He has been named Acting Assistant AG of the Criminal Division.

McQuaid, named acting leader of the U.S. Justice Department’s criminal division
He LEADS the division that is actively investigating a client his PARTNER is defending.

• Useful
Reactions: Danthemailman
Upvote 0

essentialsaltes

Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟829,264.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Upvote 0

RocksInMyHead

God is innocent; Noah built on a floodplain!
May 12, 2011
PA
✟320,399.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
As a PARTNER in the same firm - partners - co owners of the same firm. His income is linked to his partnership - he financially benefits from any case his PARTNER works with.

Partner -
partner

• n.
    One that is united or associated with another or others in an activity or a sphere of common interest, especially.
  • n.
    A member of a business partnership.
Get it? Partner - what benefits one benefits him.
A partner in a law firm isn't exactly the same thing as a traditional business partner. There are equity partners, who do get a share of the profits, and non-equity partners, who do not. Furthermore, he is no longer employed by said firm, so even if he was an equity partner when they did employ him, he would not be entitled to any of the profits from the case now.

Partner (business rank) - Wikipedia

Upvote 0

RocksInMyHead

May 12, 2011
PA
✟320,399.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

The IbanezerScrooge

I can't believe what I'm hearing...
Sep 1, 2015
Florida
✟243,724.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
Things Republicans suddenly care about now that Trump is no longer in office:

Law and Order
Deficits
Fairness
Compromise
Decorum
Executive over-reach

and now...

(not actually)Conflicts of interest.

Upvote 0

Kenny'sID

Site Supporter
Feb 28, 2016
USA
✟585,394.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Latham's Nicholas McQuaid Picked for Leading Role in Biden DOJ's Criminal Division

McQuaid, named acting leader of the U.S. Justice Department’s criminal division, earlier spent more than five years as a federal prosecutor in the U.S. attorney’s office for the Southern District of New York before joining the Obama White House in 2013.

What's the issue with that?

Acting Assistant Attorney General Nicholas McQuaid has worked on the same cases as Biden defense attorney

The newly selected acting head of the Justice Department's criminal division is a former colleague of the attorney now representing Hunter Biden in the face of a DOJ investigation.

Nicholas McQuaid joined the DOJ in January after spending the past several years as a partner in the New York office of law firm Latham & Watkins. Also a partner in that office is Christopher Clark, who was reported by Law.com in December to be representing the president's son.
Joe just put in his son's defense attorney's firm partner to head the DOJ Division tasked with investigating him.

Remember when the left here was constantly telling the right they were in denial? So, how ironic is this thread?

All the excuses in the world will not make this anything less than a conflict of interest.

Upvote 0

Belk

Site Supporter
Dec 21, 2005
Seattle
✟907,043.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
Remember when the left here was constantly telling the right they were in denial? So, how ironic is this thread?

All the excuses in the world will not make this anything less than a conflict of interest.

Do you have a copy of the statute or guideline that delineates this as a conflict of interest or is this simply your lay mans opinion?

Upvote 0

hislegacy

Memories pre 2021
Site Supporter
Nov 15, 2006
Broken Arrow, OK
✟701,673.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Give it a rest. All you did was yawn when Barr was investigating the perfect phone call where Trump told Zelensky to get in touch with Barr.

You are making this entirely too personal. Who calls someone out from October of 2019. How would you even remember a post from a year and four months ago. Since you decided to target me, I have to tell you it seems really creepy and to an extent stalking in nature. So now you can give it a rest if you would please - address the topic of the thread and not the poster. I seem to remember this somewhere.

When you Disagree:

Members who participate in the American Politics forum are expected to treat one another with courtesy and respect at all times, ESPECIALLY when you disagree with each other.
  • When you disagree, address the context of the post and not the poster.
When you address the topic, I'll interact, until then your posts are falling on deaf ears.

A partner in a law firm isn't exactly the same thing as a traditional business partner. There are equity partners, who do get a share of the profits, and non-equity partners, who do not. Furthermore, he is no longer employed by said firm, so even if he was an equity partner when they did employ him, he would not be entitled to any of the profits from the case now.

Partner (business rank) - Wikipedia

Yes, and that is the conflict of interest and why he should not be in control of Criminal Investigations. As the Director, I don't know he could recuse himself from one specific investigation, since they all run through his oversight.

• Useful
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

RocksInMyHead

May 12, 2011
PA
✟320,399.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Yes, and that is the conflict of interest and why he should not be in control of Criminal Investigations. As the Director, I don't know he could recuse himself from one specific investigation, since they all run through his oversight.
Law firm partners do not retain their partnership when they leave the practice, so even if he was an equity partner (which I haven't seen reported one way or the other), he would not see any money from this case - or any case taken by the firm.

Upvote 0

Guinan

Dec 12, 2020
Texas
✟50,161.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Things Republicans suddenly care about now that Trump is no longer in office:

Law and Order
Deficits
Fairness
Compromise
Decorum
Executive over-reach

and now...

(not actually)Conflicts of interest.

The moral character and ethical behavior of the President have also become primary concerns again for the majority of Republicans who support Trump. The old 'I voted for a President and not a pastor' excuse we heard from them for the entire duration of Trump's presidency has conveniently faded into oblivion within the Trump universe since Biden was elected. Unfortunately for them, they're a day late and a dollar short because no one, outside of the Trump bubble, is taking their indignation seriously.

Upvote 0

hislegacy

Memories pre 2021
Site Supporter
Nov 15, 2006
Broken Arrow, OK
✟701,673.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Law firm partners do not retain their partnership when they leave the practice, so even if he was an equity partner (which I haven't seen reported one way or the other), he would not see any money from this case - or any case taken by the firm.

We can agree to disagree. There are a number of people with a whole lot more knowledge than i who are speaking up.

• Useful
Upvote 0

SimplyMe

Senior Veteran
Jul 19, 2003
the Great Basin
✟329,872.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Ahem:

The man just placed in charge of prosecuting the investigation is a partner in the Law Office who spent years defending him. As a Partner he benefited from payments made to the firm by Hunter.

How is that NOT a conflict of interest?

curtain1.jpg

The firm which Hunter hired in December, and that McQuaid started with the DoJ in January? It is not clear that, in that month, Hunter Biden would have yet made a payment to the Latham lawfirm. It is worth noting that Latham and Watkins reportedly had 488 partners last year, so it is questionable that McQuaid even knew anything about Hunter Biden and his case.

Now, let us assume that Hunter did make some type of payment in the thousands of dollars for the work that was done in December. Let us also assume that the (typically) annual partner's payments were made at the end of the year (which is not at all certain). Say Hunter had paid rougly $50,000 in attorney fees to Latham and Watkins by the end of the year. So, with almost 500 partners, that $50,000 would have been roughly $100 extra in each check -- a partner's check that reportedly was $3,352,000 last year.

I have issues seeing how Hunter's legal defense giving him possibly an extra $100 in a check for over $3.3 million, paid for handling a case he likly knew nothing about, creates a conflict of interest.

Upvote 0

essentialsaltes

Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟829,264.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
There are a number of people with a whole lot more knowledge than i who are speaking up.

This is no doubt true. Are any of them alleging a conflict of interest in the matter of the OP? The linked article does not.

Reactions: whatbogsends
Upvote 0