New Harvard Research Says U.S. Christianity Is Not Shrinking, But Growing Stronger

drjean

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Nov 16, 2011
✟313,070.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
This must have been a hard pill to swallow for Harvard, currently known for it's anti-Christian atmosphere and policies. This is encouraging news we need to hear, and repeat, and drown out those who spew the lies meant to discourage Christians.

New Harvard Research Says U.S. Christianity Is Not Shrinking, But Growing Stronger

“Meanwhile, a widespread decline in churchgoing and religious affiliation had contributed to a growing anxiety among conservative believers.” Statements like this are uttered with such confidence and frequency that most Americans accept them as uncontested truisms....

Two words: Absolutely not.

New research published late last year by scholars at Harvard University and Indiana University Bloomington is just the latest to reveal the myth.

---

Not only did their examination find no support for this secularization in terms of actual practice and belief, the researchers proclaim that religion continues to enjoy “persistent and exceptional intensity” in America. These researchers hold our nation “remains an exceptional outlier and potential counter example to the secularization thesis.”

----

This also means, of course, that those who take their faith seriously are becoming a markedly larger proportion of all religious people.

---

These Are Not Isolated Findings
The findings of these scholars are not outliers. There has been a growing gulf between the faithful and the dabblers for quite some time, with the first group growing more numerous.

---

When the so-called “progressive” churches question the historicity of Jesus, deny the reality of sin, support abortion, ordain clergy in same-sex relationships and perform their marriages, people desiring real Christianity head elsewhere. Fact: evangelical churches gain five new congregants exiled from the liberal churches for every one they lose for any reason. They also do a better job of retaining believers from childhood to adulthood than do mainline churches.

Yonny Costopoulis

Jul 22, 2017
Crete
✟60,005.00
Country
Greece
Faith
Ukr. Grk. Catholic
Marital Status
Married
This must have been a hard pill to swallow for Harvard, currently known for it's anti-Christian atmosphere and policies. This is encouraging news we need to hear, and repeat, and drown out those who spew the lies meant to discourage Christians.

“Meanwhile, a widespread decline in churchgoing and religious affiliation had contributed to a growing anxiety among conservative believers.” Statements like this are uttered with such confidence and frequency that most Americans accept them as uncontested truisms....

Two words: Absolutely not.

New research published late last year by scholars at Harvard University and Indiana University Bloomington is just the latest to reveal the myth.

---

Not only did their examination find no support for this secularization in terms of actual practice and belief, the researchers proclaim that religion continues to enjoy “persistent and exceptional intensity” in America. These researchers hold our nation “remains an exceptional outlier and potential counter example to the secularization thesis.”

----

This also means, of course, that those who take their faith seriously are becoming a markedly larger proportion of all religious people.

---

These Are Not Isolated Findings
The findings of these scholars are not outliers. There has been a growing gulf between the faithful and the dabblers for quite some time, with the first group growing more numerous.

---

When the so-called “progressive” churches question the historicity of Jesus, deny the reality of sin, support abortion, ordain clergy in same-sex relationships and perform their marriages, people desiring real Christianity head elsewhere. Fact: evangelical churches gain five new congregants exiled from the liberal churches for every one they lose for any reason. They also do a better job of retaining believers from childhood to adulthood than do mainline churches.
You should not let the other people do research that is yours to do or you will believe whatever they want you to believe. Here is quoted directly from the research paper linked to in the article in OP (Which also includes Indiana University. Are they anti-Christian atmosphere also?)

We are convinced by the steep downward trend in average religiousness noted by Voasand Chaves (2016). Clearly, America appears to be secularizing.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: Hazelelponi
Upvote 0

tulc

loves "SO'S YER MOM!! posts!
May 18, 2002
✟271,570.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
huh...from the actual report what would come across is: Moderates are leaving the Churches while the hard line, more fanatical members that are left are making up a larger percentage of the membership in the Churches. :sigh:
tulc(interesting report) :wave:

• Agree
Reactions: FireDragon76
Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,260,418.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
huh...from the actual report what would come across is: Moderates are leaving the Churches while the hard line, more fanatical members that are left are making up a larger percentage of the membership in the Churches. :sigh:

That doesn't sound like good news at all really.

I think one of the problems is that fundamentalists effectively control the public image of religion in the US, which alienates moderates and liberals from religion altogether.

Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,260,418.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
You should not let the other people do research that is yours to do or you will believe whatever they want you to believe. Here is quoted directly from the research paper linked to in the article in OP (Which also includes Indiana University. Are they anti-Christian atmosphere also?)

We are convinced by the steep downward trend in average religiousness noted by Voasand Chaves (2016). Clearly, America appears to be secularizing.

Indeed, America is secularizing. And I think the most salient feature is the emptying out of mainline churches. When I was a child and teen these churches were still relatively strong. Many of these churches declined because they lured away the young people to Evangelicalism. But I don't think Evangelicalism has long term staying power, it tends to move in booms and busts. And the rising tide of secularism will limit the appeal of Evangelicalism, which is militantly anti-secular. Mainline churches are more comfortable with secularity.

Upvote 0

hedrick

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Feb 8, 2009
New Jersey
✟1,148,608.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
It's worth being clear about what the study does and doesn't say. It doesn't dispute recent work that shows increasing "nones," and decreasing average religiosity.

Rather, it points out that the decrease is not happening uniformly. The number of people who go to church and pray more often than normal, and evangelicals is going up (by some measures, steady by others), while the total number of Christians is going down.

The consequences of this could be interesting, as it plays into the increasing polarization of the country. Indeed the authors suggest that the decrease in non-evangelical Christianity may in fact be partly due to the politicization of much of Christianity. I.e. they suggest that right-wing politics is driving everyone who isn't right-wing out of Christianity. I don't believe, however, that there's any real evidence in their paper for that.

Upvote 0

drjean

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Nov 16, 2011
✟313,070.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I would also add that the number of "Christians" might be decreasing only because in today's world many a "Christian" prefers not to use that term... so they do not call themselves "Christians" when, indeed, they are believers in Christ. I, for one, prefer not to use the term Christian because it has such a lackadaisical connotation today, imo.

Sorry, I meant this to be in a Christian's only forum.

Upvote 0

tulc

May 18, 2002
✟271,570.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I would also add that the number of "Christians" might be decreasing only because in today's world many a "Christian" prefers not to use that term... so they do not call themselves "Christians" when, indeed, they are believers in Christ. I, for one, prefer not to use the term Christian because it has such a lackadaisical connotation today, imo.

Actually...that was one of the points of the article. :wave:

Sorry, I meant this to be in a Christian's only forum.
it is in a Christians only section. :scratch:
tulc(so no worries on that count) :)

Upvote 0

RDKirk

Alien, Pilgrim, and Sojourner
Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,475,189.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
It's worth being clear about what the study does and doesn't say. It doesn't dispute recent work that shows increasing "nones," and decreasing average religiosity.

Rather, it points out that the decrease is not happening uniformly. The number of people who go to church and pray more often than normal, and evangelicals is going up (by some measures, steady by others), while the total number of Christians is going down.

The consequences of this could be interesting, as it plays into the increasing polarization of the country. Indeed the authors suggest that the decrease in non-evangelical Christianity may in fact be partly due to the politicization of much of Christianity. I.e. they suggest that right-wing politics is driving everyone who isn't right-wing out of Christianity. I don't believe, however, that there's any real evidence in their paper for that.

There may not be a difference in the minds of the authors between "people who go to church and pray more often than normal" and right-wingers.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

hedrick

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Feb 8, 2009
New Jersey
✟1,148,608.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
There may not be a difference in the minds of the authors between "people who go to church and pray more often than normal" and right-wingers.
Remember, it's evangelicals that are gaining, and they are almost all Trump supporters. Support for other conservative causes is also high among evangelicals. I don't think their comment is misplaced. However, as I pointed out, there's no real evidence in their article for their explanation of the decrease among moderates and liberals.

"mainline decline" has been studied for decades. People doing studies tend to disagree with the obvious message, but I agree with it. I don't think it's theology that's the issue exactly, but rather I think enthusiasm and commitment win. Personally, the evangelical style turns me off, but I'm pretty sure I'm a minority. There have been a few places where liberal churches have managed to build the same enthusiasm and are growing. But it's not in our culture, and not enough people are willing to change.

Upvote 0

redleghunter

Thank You Jesus!
Site Supporter
Mar 18, 2014
Texas
✟176,076.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Astute observation. For them anyone who goes to church may just be an extremist to them.

Upvote 0

Hazelelponi

:sighing:
Site Supporter
Jun 25, 2018
USA
✟690,715.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

I agree with this statement made in the paper:

The downward trend in average American religiousness may then
be less the result of a society-wide fading of the importance of religion to people’s lives—which we would expect on the basis of the secularization thesis—and more
a function of the politicization of American religion in the late 1980s following the rise of the Christian Right. This politicization of American religion may have, as Hout and Fischer (2002, 2014) suggested, driven moderates out of religion but not necessarily decreased the intensity of American religion.
In fact, moderates leaving religion in America could be, at least in part, a reaction against high-intensity American religionists, strict religion, and the contemporary link between religion and right-wing politics in the United States

Living here.. being places like this forum which is so politically oriented in the new posts.. yeah, I'd say any change has everything to do with the politicization of Christianity in America..

Upvote 0

RestoreTheJoy

Site Supporter
Jul 13, 2018
Passing Through
✟457,191.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Hard line, more fanatical members? You mean like the believers who walked with Jesus?

Upvote 0

tulc

May 18, 2002
✟271,570.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hard line, more fanatical members? You mean like the believers who walked with Jesus?
hmmm...I don't actually remember any of those Christians believing they were destined to "rule" any country in this world, but I'm pretty sure you can't walk through most of those churches mentioned above without tripping over someone who is convinced that they're the real rulers of America. Or would be if all those other people would just stop doing what they're doing and do as God (and by extension, "THE TRUE FOLLOWERS OF CHRIST!!" (tm) of course) wants them to do. :wave:
tulc(supported no doubt with some out of context Scriptures) :sorry:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Phil 1:21

Apr 3, 2017
United States
✟144,842.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yeah, how dare they? ;)

"So, because you are lukewarm—neither hot nor cold—I am about to spit you out of my mouth." Revelation 3:16

Upvote 0

tulc

May 18, 2002
✟271,570.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yeah, how dare they? ;)

"So, because you are lukewarm—neither hot nor cold—I am about to spit you out of my mouth." Revelation 3:16
hmmm...here's that Scripture in context:
Rev. 3 said:
And unto the angel of the church in Sardis write; These things saith he that hath the seven Spirits of God, and the seven stars; I know thy works, that thou hast a name that thou livest, and art dead.

2 Be watchful, and strengthen the things which remain, that are ready to die: for I have not found thy works perfect before God.

3 Remember therefore how thou hast received and heard, and hold fast, and repent. If therefore thou shalt not watch, I will come on thee as a thief, and thou shalt not know what hour I will come upon thee.

4 Thou hast a few names even in Sardis which have not defiled their garments; and they shall walk with me in white: for they are worthy.

5 He that overcometh, the same shall be clothed in white raiment; and I will not blot out his name out of the book of life, but I will confess his name before my Father, and before his angels.

6 He that hath an ear, let him hear what the Spirit saith unto the churches.

7 And to the angel of the church in Philadelphia write; These things saith he that is holy, he that is true, he that hath the key of David, he that openeth, and no man shutteth; and shutteth, and no man openeth;

8 I know thy works: behold, I have set before thee an open door, and no man can shut it: for thou hast a little strength, and hast kept my word, and hast not denied my name.

9 Behold, I will make them of the synagogue of Satan, which say they are Jews, and are not, but do lie; behold, I will make them to come and worship before thy feet, and to know that I have loved thee.

10 Because thou hast kept the word of my patience, I also will keep thee from the hour of temptation, which shall come upon all the world, to try them that dwell upon the earth.

11 Behold, I come quickly: hold that fast which thou hast, that no man take thy crown.

12 Him that overcometh will I make a pillar in the temple of my God, and he shall go no more out: and I will write upon him the name of my God, and the name of the city of my God, which is new Jerusalem, which cometh down out of heaven from my God: and I will write upon him my new name.

13 He that hath an ear, let him hear what the Spirit saith unto the churches.

14 And unto the angel of the church of the Laodiceans write; These things saith the Amen, the faithful and true witness, the beginning of the creation of God;

15 I know thy works, that thou art neither cold nor hot: I would thou wert cold or hot.

16 So then because thou art lukewarm, and neither cold nor hot, I will spue thee out of my mouth.

17 Because thou sayest, I am rich, and increased with goods, and have need of nothing; and knowest not that thou art wretched, and miserable, and poor, and blind, and naked:

18 I counsel thee to buy of me gold tried in the fire, that thou mayest be rich; and white raiment, that thou mayest be clothed, and that the shame of thy nakedness do not appear; and anoint thine eyes with eyesalve, that thou mayest see.

19 As many as I love, I rebuke and chasten: be zealous therefore, and repent.

20 Behold, I stand at the door, and knock: if any man hear my voice, and open the door, I will come in to him, and will sup with him, and he with me.

21 To him that overcometh will I grant to sit with me in my throne, even as I also overcame, and am set down with my Father in his throne.

22 He that hath an ear, let him hear what the Spirit saith unto the churches.
(emph. added)
tulc(is grateful Phil 1:21 did help him prove his point though) :oldthumbsup:

Upvote 0

RestoreTheJoy

Site Supporter
Jul 13, 2018
Passing Through
✟457,191.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

The previous poster used it in context. God's not happy with lukewarm, in-name-only, "get into heaven free card", "violating God's word with impunity and teaching others to do so" believers. Not then. Not now.

Upvote 0

Yonny Costopoulis

Jul 22, 2017
Crete
✟60,005.00
Country
Greece
Faith
Ukr. Grk. Catholic
Marital Status
Married

17 Because thou sayest, I am rich, and increased with goods, and have need of nothing; and knowest not that thou art wretched, and miserable, and poor, and blind, and naked:

Does this not sound word for world like Trump about asylum seekers from the Central America? I was very glad to see many Christians stand against it. I was very sad to see not all Christians stand against it.

But those who did not stand against it still have time to repent. So say the Lord

19 As many as I love, I rebuke and chasten: be zealous therefore, and repent.
:oldthumbsup:

This repent would be the great and powerful signal to people leaving Christianity that the Lord still speaks to us and do not abandon hope.

Upvote 0

tulc

May 18, 2002
✟271,570.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The previous poster used it in context. God's not happy with lukewarm, in-name-only, "get into heaven free card", "violating God's word with impunity and teaching others to do so" believers. Not then. Not now.
Never thought He would be and I'm not sure that was actually in context with how that Scripture was used in Revelations. I might also point out He doesn't care for judgmental, condemning, self-righteous, self aggrandizing Christians either. :wave:
tulc(is just back from driving around Chicago and is looking for some coffee) :coffee:

Reactions: john23237
Upvote 0